Hydro 100

So I've wanted a hydro for baling for some time now... Have a friend who picked this up a year or so ago on the cheap after a block heater started a fire. He planned on fixing it for himself but age/health has made it less fun for him. Burned some of the wiring and charred the tin. Might have damaged the directional control valve. Never got hot enough to burn the rubber off the shifters. It's got a rebuilt starter and alternator, newer injector pump, radiator/transmission cooler are repaired, new wiring harness in a box, tin/airbox from a 966. Looks like everything is there.

Fired right up with batteries. Don't have the radiator on and the directional control valve looks suspect so I haven't tried to drive it yet. Draft arms/hydraulics appeared to work.

Might be a week or so before I can get it home to work on it, but super excited. It will either be a train wreck or an awesome machine!

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have finally had some time to mess with this being mostly finished up haying.

Radiator/Trans cooler are fixed and in. Water Pump/Thermostat/coolant replaced. New hoses to replace burned ones. Hydraulic filters changed and old hytran drained. Should get the time tomorrow to get hydraulic oil in, keeping fingers crossed that she moves.

I'm 90% sure I have the cooler lines routed properly but can anyone confirm? The line closer in the picture is to the cooler, the one behind is return? Sucks not having taken some of this apart.

I get a very good deal on NAPA oil so no Hytran. Same cas as the new blended shell hytran premium, even smells the same, but not red. Not to stir the pot...

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

Looks like a nice project. You will love the hydro for baling. We had a 656 for a loader tractor for many years and still have a 1026. They are very capable machines despite the many naysayers. The key to longevity is maintenance. Clean oil and filters are a must! Your NAPA oil should be fine. Many new oils have added properties that older fluids lacked. I always consider the "Hytran" recommended for my 1026 is from 1971. We've learned a lot since then...

Hopefully your control valve will be fine. Judging by the amount of paint left it didn't get too hot.

• Like 1

Got her filled up and gave her a  test. Have good rear remote pressure, pto works. No power steering. Tractor nudges when the f/r lever is moved and then doesn't move forward or reverse.

I suspect the MCV pump isn't priming or faulty so no steering or pilot lines. Guess I'll be putting a gauge and a bucket on the MCV to get her primed tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Dzldenny said:

Looks like a nice project. You will love the hydro for baling. We had a 656 for a loader tractor for many years and still have a 1026. They are very capable machines despite the many naysayers. The key to longevity is maintenance. Clean oil and filters are a must! Your NAPA oil should be fine. Many new oils have added properties that older fluids lacked. I always consider the "Hytran" recommended for my 1026 is from 1971. We've learned a lot since then...

Hopefully your control valve will be fine. Judging by the amount of paint left it didn't get too hot.

Thanks, it will ideally live attached to the baler. I learned to drive on a 656 loading manure, great machines! That was my thought on oil too, should exceed the 40+ year old specs.

Post your problem and questions on technical IH talk section. Much more people there. And all the experts hang out there. I’m jealous of your project tractor. I love bringing old tractors back to life. If you can’t get the tractor to move call the guys at Herrs Hydro in Kansas. They are IH Hydro experts and everyone there including the owner are happy to give you free advice over the phone. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 5:49 PM, VacDaddyt said:

Saw a video somewhere about a guy using a hose from the rear ports to prime. Not sure where or who it was.

Doesn't look like you can do that with the hydro unlike the gear/ta machines.

23 hours ago, MarkG said:

Post your problem and questions on technical IH talk section. Much more people there. And all the experts hang out there. I’m jealous of your project tractor. I love bringing old tractors back to life. If you can’t get the tractor to move call the guys at Herrs Hydro in Kansas. They are IH Hydro experts and everyone there including the owner are happy to give you free advice over the phone. Good luck and keep us posted.

23 hours ago, MarkG said:

How did you get it home? Hopefully you didn’t pull it while it was in gear! The shifter on the right is low, neutral,and high. It needs to be in neutral before pulling the tractor.

Thanks will try the other section next time. If I can't get it moving Herrs will likely be my first call. We pushed the machine onto the trailer with a skid steer and pulled it off with another tractor. Has only been pushed/pulled in neutral.

I think I've found the power steering issue. Relief valve seems to have fallen apart? Going to replace before I mess with anything else. Charge pressure off pump 1 tested OK... Also need to find an air filter latch as mine seems to have wandered off.

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1605.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Took her for a test drive today! Hydro seems strong. Looks like everything works. Engine was a little warm so I'll be fixing the wiring and gauges next to be on the safe side. Might be a while before I get more time to mess with it, but I won't have to work on it outside anymore now that I can move it around easily and it won't sit in the snow.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...