A Seemingly Stupid Question About War

KWRB

My vote for best and most realistic world war II movie is Band of Brothers.  If you haven't seen the whole series you should.

Those guys were drafted for the duration. Some of the guys in the Big Red One went all the way from North Africa to Germany.

My father served in the Army Air Corps in England in the 445th,  a B24 squadron.  Thankfully he was in Codes and Ciphers and did not serve on an aircrew.  On one of the missions to Schwiefurt they sorted the entire squadron and only two planes made it back to base. Some landed at outlying fields, but most were shot now.  Their squadron was completely out of action till New aircraft and Air Crews arrived from the states.  He said it was so depressing they would all huddle in one corner of the chow hall so that it didn't seem so empty.  Jimmy Stewart the actor was one of his commanders.

Both he and his best friend ( my godfather) volunteered as soon after Pearl Harbor as they were eligible.  My godfather served in the Navy and the Pacific until the end of the war.

In the European theater, and I'm sure the Pacific was the same, if you were wounded you were sent back to a hospital to recuperate. Once you had healed he was sent back to the front and were assigned to whatever outfit needed you at the time. You didn't get sent back to your old outfit. That was pretty hard on morale. If you wounded bad enough that you couldn't go back to fight you were sent home.

• Like 4

One of my friends fathers was shut down over Belgium flying a p-47.  He parachuted into the middle of a freshly plowed field that had a single tree in it. He went over to the tree and concealed himself and his gear in the bushes. The Germans looked all around the field, but did not see any footprints in the fresh soil so they did not go out to check around the tree. After they left he got hooked up with the resistance who ultimately took him up to Switzerland, where he got captured, then escaped, and finally made it out of Europe 7 months later through Gibraltar. I used to go deep sea fishing with him, and he was a **** of a man. All of that generation are going now unfortunately and we seem to be left mostly with the dregs.

• Sad 1

Define dregs please. 

23 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I don’t know what the rules were, but my grandfather was in from the time he was drafted until the wars end. His father died while he was in England as an Air Corps mechanic and he was not allowed to come home for the funeral. 

sorry about what they went through - what a deal for those times and people - so thankful for those generations 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Wow, same story here, the old man joined in '40, my grandmother died in '43, he got word and dat was dat, got to send respects, he got married over there and came home at the end in '45, five year hitch start to end, I always swore he lived a charmed life, he was one of seven bren gun carrier drivers and except for a couple of parts left over there he was the only one to come home.

so glad he made it home 

Dad had alot of friends who were in the war.

Kenneth Sagely was in a ship when the Japs bombed pearl. Explosions woke him up and he thought the ship was having boiler problems and exploding. He ran topside and realized they were at war and reported to his battle station. His enlistment was before the war but he had to stay in the duration.

Don Abbott lied about his age and age so he could sign up for the marines at 15. He started in Guadalcanal and finished the war in the pacific. He was a member of a machine gun crew, carrying a steel plate for it to set on when firing on the beach. The plate kept it from digging into the sand.

Sonny Estep served in Europe. I don't know what he did. He had shell shock bad. He could drive a tractor or do physical labor but couldn't do complicated tasks. He really was crazy.

The soldiers who served in Europe were preparing to go to Japan after Germany was defeated. Most were very unhappy because they wanted to go home and quit. They beat their enemy. The bomb saved most of their lives.

Dad sailed landing craft in the pacific. He fought extensively in the Philippines campaign and the invasion of Okinawa. Later he was an infantry officer in Korea. His unit saw hard fighting and had to fold units together because of heavy losses. He was bitter they didn't use the bomb in Korea.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

War is dumb, I been there, there's no reason for it.

im thankful for all who have volunteered or served willingly or not, its way to complex for me to wrap my head around - my stab in the dark of it is ego/power/control 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

My vote for best and most realistic world war II movie is Band of Brothers.  If you haven't seen the whole series you should.

Those guys were drafted for the duration. Some of the guys in the Big Red One went all the way from North Africa to Germany.

My father served in the Army Air Corps in England in the 445th,  a B24 squadron.  Thankfully he was in Codes and Ciphers and did not serve on an aircrew.  On one of the missions to Schwiefurt they sorted the entire squadron and only two planes made it back to base. Some landed at outlying fields, but most were shot now.  Their squadron was completely out of action till New aircraft and Air Crews arrived from the states.  He said it was so depressing they would all huddle in one corner of the chow hall so that it didn't seem so empty.  Jimmy Stewart the actor was one of his commanders.

Both he and his best friend ( my godfather) volunteered as soon after Pearl Harbor as they were eligible.  My godfather served in the Navy and the Pacific until the end of the war.

In the European theater, and I'm sure the Pacific was the same, if you were wounded you were sent back to a hospital to recuperate. Once you had healed he was sent back to the front and were assigned to whatever outfit needed you at the time. You didn't get sent back to your old outfit. That was pretty hard on morale. If you wounded bad enough that you couldn't go back to fight you were sent home.

amazing what people went through im humbled by all of it no matter what war 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, acem said:

Kenneth Sagely was in a ship when the Japs bombed pearl. Explosions woke him up and he thought the ship was having boiler problems and exploding. He ran topside and realized they were at war and reported to his battle station. His enlistment was before the war but he had to stay in the duration.

Don Abbott lied about his age and age so he could sign up for the marines at 15. He started in Guadalcanal and finished the war in the pacific. He was a member of a machine gun crew, carrying a steel plate for it to set on when firing on the beach. The plate kept it from digging into the sand.

Sonny Estep served in Europe. I don't know what he did. He had shell shock bad. He could drive a tractor or do physical labor but couldn't do complicated tasks. He really was crazy.

The soldiers who served in Europe were preparing to go to Japan after Germany was defeated. Most were very unhappy because they wanted to go home and quit. They beat their enemy. The bomb saved most of their lives.

Dad sailed landing craft in the pacific. He fought extensively in the Philippines campaign and the invasion of Okinawa. Later he was an infantry officer in Korea. His unit saw hard fighting and had to fold units together because of heavy losses. He was bitter they didn't use the bomb in Korea.

Thx-Ace 

you had/have some great people around you 

2 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

you had/have some great people around you 

Sadly they have all passed.

The last WWII vet that I knew well passed a few years ago. John Lahosky (sp?) Was a pilot in WWII. Served in Europe I think. He never talked much about it.

Dad was 40 when I was born. Died in 1995 when I was 27...

• Sad 1

Rawleigh, agreed.

19 minutes ago, acem said:

Thx-Ace 

God bless that Sonny. Made a major sacrifice

• Like 1

My uncle was in Indiana national guard  unit in Vietnam. 
his company is the only one , I think, to complete the Ranger school as a unit and not individually.

they were part of the LRRPs, and were one of the most, if not the most, highly decorated units in Vietnam.

I always remember him saying they were at Fort Benning completing Jungle Training and they scored higher than the Marines!

excited about what they won after beating the Corp, their commander said “congratulations boys, you’re heading to Vietnam!”

• Sad 1

My Dad was sent home after his father died in 1944.

Dad was the only son and my grandfather was a farmer.

Farming was almost as important as being a soldier.

It was everyone, the whole Country, working together to beat the Germans and Japanese.

All soldiers were in for the duration unless dead or wounded and not able to fight.

Many wounded remained in to do administrative tasks, if able, outside of combat. 

It was a different time from today.

I still remember the veterans when I was growing up.

Some had seen a bit to much and had a rough time with life.

Thank You to all Vets for your dedicated service to OUR country!

• Like 2