Securing loads on a truck or trailer

acem

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

my friends (a father and son excavation operation)who have taught me a great deal of what i have learned about trucks, equipment and other stuff use just binders track to trailer, routinely pass inspections and even had a drop deck break at road speed, but did not loose the load. 

If your just using a ratchet binder you would get the full rating of it on the working load 

Four 9200lb binder would do a medium size excavator   

18 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

If your just using a ratchet binder you would get the full rating of it on the working load 

Four 9200lb binder would do a medium size excavator   

How does that figure? Why is it different from a short piece of chain? 

18 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Around the front axle. 

What about on a narrow front? Serious question. I've always used the weight by bracket on the narrow front tractors

11 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I believe the chain is what they call sling rated 

So it needs to be secured to a trailer anchor point, traversing across or through the load and then secured to another anchor point on the trailer.

If used securing from a anchor point on the trailer attaching directly to the cargo  i.e. single leg the allowed load is half 

35 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

If Iam understanding correctly.  A chain is designed to work in a loop.   Or a sling type fashion.     So you use both sides.   If you run it straight you cut the strength in half.  

26 minutes ago, 885 said:

What about on a narrow front? Serious question. I've always used the weight by bracket on the narrow front tractors

Take a look at this 560 they have a shackle on the weight bracket and looks to be a bolt on D-Ring on the frame rail

FBE26A0F-AA85-4C86-B6F9-B6D280072EB4.jpeg.2b65e3ae3c8b39411eab0c3eaeb8d7a6.jpeg

7 hours ago, acem said:

Is this load properly secured?

EF12B4A3-5AF1-4E7B-874F-619295DD45C7.thumb.jpeg.9651840d79ace714d010a5b0bdd05d44.jpeg

It looks well secured but the load might exceed the weight rating of the tailgate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

It looks well secured but the load might exceed the weight rating of the tailgate.

If you ever wondered how a tailgate gets bent now you know  

• Haha 1

Like the other guys are telling you on the chaining down , anything over 10,000 lbs needs to have 4 chains and for binders . I use all grade 70 , 3/8”chains and screw binders , make sure you check the binders for the correct lbs rating , there are binders that are under rated depending on what your hauling . The ratchet load binders are not the thing for tiring down a tractor . I had a new 53 ft step deck and it was setup for straps but they don’t work well for tying down a tractor because of the sharp edges of steel cut straps , even the 6” straps .

‘I have had a commercial drivers license since I was 18 years old and have hauled a lot of stuff over the years and trust me I have done things wrong and had chains come loose , straps get cut , you name it and it happens . Just take the extra few minutes and tie it down good . Keep in mind the DOT officer looks at you when you coming by and I had one tell me , if your truck looks to be taken care of / clean , looking maintained and you have things tied down and chains are tight I won’t pull you over . Make sure you guys pulling a trailer with a pickup look in the door of your truck for the gross weight and the sticker on your trailer for the gross weight and add them together , if your over 26,000 lbs your considered a commercial Vehical . So then this opens up an entire different can of worms 😳 

US Dot number , name on the truck , 5 lbs fire extinguisher, safety markers , drug testing program , CDL license 😕😕😕 better save this for the next discussion.

Danny

C52C13A9-DB66-470A-B3B8-EA060CE650FA.jpeg

6B2C99AD-A649-4B22-8AFC-DD601172B601.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/28/2022 at 9:22 PM, acem said:

How about this load?

default (52).jpg

default (55).jpg

Never had time to check out how they tied dozers down to trucks at Melrose Park. But at the tractor docks at FARMALL they used Very HEAVY gage wire, something bigger than #9 wire that they would run several loops from the tractors and down to the trailer, and I never had time to watch them but they had some sort of tool, maybe electric or maybe air powered that twisted those loops till tight, and those tractors were REALLY tied tight to the trailers. Those wire loops would be very hard to see in a photograph.

One EARLY MORNING I'm jumping on I-280 off Rt 61 on the west side of Davenport, Iowa. Can't remember if I was getting an early start to a day or if a big day grew into the start of the next day, but a 20,000# coil of steel came loose on a trailer to the point it fell off the trailer, looked like it sunk a foot into the ground.  I've done enough trailering to know I'm real happy I haven't done a lot of it.  Hauling groceries and the occasional load of tires or rims was much easier.

a big question I have is on pickups

size of truck to size of trailer

we see many massive 5th wheel trailers being pulled with 1/2-3/4 ton trucks up here in the Keweenaw 

I know the 5th wheel hitch is rated in maximum # but what about the truck

Mike

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 8:24 AM, mike newman said:

...we always   rack the chains around the roller pedastol, on excavators..two on each side ..this for starters

Mike

Mike 

Don't know if you picked it up on the videos in this topic but they only have to chain the machine down to just over half (50%) of the weight of the machine , so a 30,000 pound machine is chained down to just over 15,000 pound.

Not like here thats for sure. Here a 30,000 pound machine provided it is up to a headboard, stepdeck or gooseneck would have to be chained for the machines full weight of 30,000 pound. If it was not up against the headboard, stepdeck or gooseneck then it has to be chained to 60,000 pound. 

20180924_103706.thumb.jpg.86d4739a6ff70df1ca3ac5fd2590bd47.jpg

Marty,NZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martin Thompson said:

Don't know if you picked it up on the videos in this topic but they only have to chain the machine down to just over half (50%) of the weight of the machine , so a 30,000 pound machine is chained down to just over 15,000 pound.

Correct (for the USA per my learning) BUT we are allowed to use only half the rating of the cargo securement devices due to the loading usually being indirect on the device.  So in the end, securement rating needs to equal load weight. 

2 hours ago, Martin Thompson said:

Here a 30,000 pound machine provided it is up to a headboard, stepdeck or gooseneck would have to be chained for the machines full weight of 30,000 pound. If it was not up against the headboard, stepdeck or gooseneck then it has to be chained to 60,000 pound. 

That makes sense to me

The old timer that schooled me always loaded so the bucket or blade was forward either against the bucket stop on a tag along or the goose neck/step 

And said to chain down the blade or bucket so it can't ride up and over the stop.

He also said never carry bundled loads like pipe on a trailer with out a headboard   

5 hours ago, DR.EVIL said:

Never had time to check out how they tied dozers down to trucks at Melrose Park. But at the tractor docks at FARMALL they used Very HEAVY gage wire, something bigger than #9 wire that they would run several loops from the tractors and down to the trailer, and I never had time to watch them but they had some sort of tool, maybe electric or maybe air powered that twisted those loops till tight, and those tractors were REALLY tied tight to the trailers. Those wire loops would be very hard to see in a photograph.

One EARLY MORNING I'm jumping on I-280 off Rt 61 on the west side of Davenport, Iowa. Can't remember if I was getting an early start to a day or if a big day grew into the start of the next day, but a 20,000# coil of steel came loose on a trailer to the point it fell off the trailer, looked like it sunk a foot into the ground.  I've done enough trailering to know I'm real happy I haven't done a lot of it.  Hauling groceries and the occasional load of tires or rims was much easier.

In Indiana I saw where someone had dropped a coil alongside the Interstate.  Came back a few days later and it had been unrolled on the side of the road.  
The salvage crew was 2 guys with a one ton truck and a cutting torch loading each piece by hand.

I use 3/8" grade 70 chain and binders.   On machines up to 656/666 size,  I use one chain on front axle and one on rear draw bar support. 4 binders.  Narrow front machines are fastened to frame rail on both sides with separate chains.   706 and up, 4 chains and 4 binders as described above.  I only haul one of these at a time.  I  have my CDL.

12 hours ago, Mike H said:

a big question I have is on pickups

size of truck to size of trailer

we see many massive 5th wheel trailers being pulled with 1/2-3/4 ton trucks up here in the Keweenaw 

I know the 5th wheel hitch is rated in maximum # but what about the truck

Mike

your truck has the GVWR tag inside the drivers door

So this is how I believe is correct to strap my post driver. Strap over forks. Blade and weight. One chain per track thru the loops.

It weighs less than 10k I think

20220708_080758.jpg

On 6/30/2022 at 6:36 AM, DirtBoyz07 said:

Like the other guys are telling you on the chaining down , anything over 10,000 lbs needs to have 4 chains and for binders . I use all grade 70 , 3/8”chains and screw binders , make sure you check the binders for the correct lbs rating , there are binders that are under rated depending on what your hauling . The ratchet load binders are not the thing for tiring down a tractor . I had a new 53 ft step deck and it was setup for straps but they don’t work well for tying down a tractor because of the sharp edges of steel cut straps , even the 6” straps .

‘I have had a commercial drivers license since I was 18 years old and have hauled a lot of stuff over the years and trust me I have done things wrong and had chains come loose , straps get cut , you name it and it happens . Just take the extra few minutes and tie it down good . Keep in mind the DOT officer looks at you when you coming by and I had one tell me , if your truck looks to be taken care of / clean , looking maintained and you have things tied down and chains are tight I won’t pull you over . Make sure you guys pulling a trailer with a pickup look in the door of your truck for the gross weight and the sticker on your trailer for the gross weight and add them together , if your over 26,000 lbs your considered a commercial Vehical . So then this opens up an entire different can of worms 😳 

US Dot number , name on the truck , 5 lbs fire extinguisher, safety markers , drug testing program , CDL license 😕😕😕 better save this for the next discussion.

Danny

Again, if you have farm plates, you don’t fall in the same category, at least in Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado. 
All of the farms and ranches I have worked on, have all had semis and other big trucks, and none have to have CDL, the DOT number , the commercial insurance, none of it. Maybe its just the flyover states but 26,000 doesn’t mean anything to us.