Fill rite 110 transfer pump not pumping.

Amo

So I bought a used fuel tank and pump from a friend of mine.  Said his dad had the pump tore it apart when he died.  He put it together, the motor ran,and I bought it brought it home.  Motor runs, but doesn't pump.  Going to call turthill tomorrow and see what's what, but thought I'd ask on here.  Everything appears to be hooked up properly.  I'm wondering if some seals or something are dry because it hasn't ran for a while so it's not making suction?

1656282657960662290324561344442.jpg

16562826886394572299930016316336.jpg

16562827160453458398036130932725.jpg

16562827439546570693671422315812.jpg

25 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Picture of pump would have been helpful. The ones I have worked on have been vane pumps. Possibly vanes stuck in?

Well that's all there is. I took pictures of all there is, as far as I can see.  Electric motor, meter, and first and second picture show a square box which the suction pipe threads into if I remember correctly.

I've got a yellow fill rite and I think it's a vane pump.  Really not much much more to it either...I think rotary vain on the side of the electric motor?  I'd have to look.  

KInda why I posted the question with pictures.  I'm not exactly sure where the pump is on this unit.

Check the strainer in the pump body just above the tank. Sometimes when they backwash all the debris is deposited in the tank directly below the suction tube. The strainer may appear clean but as soon as the pump is started the pile of rubbish is sucked back up the tube into the strainer. This can go on for years until the pile of foreign material gets too big. 
   Not likely the vanes, but a classic symptom of shot vanes is it won’t pump until you hold the hose above the pump and pull the trigger. This lets the fuel run down into the pump and prime it.

16 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Picture of pump would have been helpful. The ones I have worked on have been vane pumps. Possibly vanes stuck in?

I went round and round (no pun intended) , with a fil rite 100 couldn’t get the right gasket. Rebuild kits didn’t come with it. Thinnest one I could get was too thick, and the wipers didn’t wipe the side. Ended up with a home made one out of a paper bag and used a piece of flat stock and hand polished each wiper on the flat stock to adjust for proper clearance. 

32 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I went round and round (no pun intended) , with a fil rite 100 couldn’t get the right gasket. Rebuild kits didn’t come with it. Thinnest one I could get was too thick, and the wipers didn’t wipe the side. Ended up with a home made one out of a paper bag and used a piece of flat stock and hand polished each wiper on the flat stock to adjust for proper clearance. 

Kinda what I'm wondering.  If it's a PITA I might put this on an auction and get a new one.....if I can find what I want.

12 minutes ago, Amo said:

Kinda what I'm wondering.  If it's a PITA I might put this on an auction and get a new one.....if I can find what I want.

The 100 has a comprehensive rebuild kit, just the case gasket wasn’t included. Moderner ones have an O-ring that comes with the kit

B92E6218-E64F-4282-B6D0-177FA688C6DA.jpeg

2 hours ago, snoshoe said:

16562943661478632574837428494192.jpg

I dont know if it's possible on this but one time I had the vane pump apart for some reason on a space heater. Wouldn't work when I put it back together. Long story short I had turned the vanes 90° from what they should have been. They fit but were not the same dimension all the way round so the were not sealing on the sides. Flipped them right and it has worked fine for years. Knock on wood.

32 minutes ago, Amo said:

16562943661478632574837428494192.jpg

I believe under that three bolt cover you will find the rotor and vanes. Previous pictures appeared to be the meter. Not discounting what anyone else has said about possible faults.

You can get seals and the fiber pump things. They are on an eccentric and are supposed to move in and out. Probably stuck so it won’t pump. 
I need to put seals in my 12 volt pump. 

8 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

I believe under that three bolt cover you will find the rotor and vanes. Previous pictures appeared to be the meter. Not discounting what anyone else has said about possible faults.

Yes, my mistake.  When I was here earlier I thought that whole deal was the electric motor.  I was in a hurry when I took the pics earlier.

When i called Fill Rite and asked for help selecting the proper kit, because I couldn’t find one locally they shipped me one free of charge, no questions asked. I would certainly open that up and investigate. 

33 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I dont know if it's possible on this but one time I had the vane pump apart for some reason on a space heater. Wouldn't work when I put it back together. Long story short I had turned the vanes 90° from what they should have been. They fit but were not the same dimension all the way round so the were not sealing on the sides. Flipped them right and it has worked fine for years. Knock on wood.

That very well could be possible!

I had a similar Tuthill. The vanes were a nylon type plastic. I had a piece and carved it to replace the vane .worked ever since. I think from non use it had seized then when electric was turned on it stripped out the vane. Take cover off in your last Pic and check it out.

5 minutes ago, edwardporter1 said:

I had a similar Tuthill. The vanes were a nylon type plastic. I had a piece and carved it to replace the vane .worked ever since. I think from non use it had seized then when electric was turned on it stripped out the vane. Take cover off in your last Pic and check it out.

That's the plan

Those veins are all stuck, and look kind of ragged. Personally I would put a kit in it. Call Fill Rite directly and you will get exactly what you need. 

• Like 2