Anyone know the story on the semi load of old IH tractors wrecked in OH?????

Sucks for all involved, that is for sure. But theres only two that i answer to for load securement...dot/associated authority and my wife...🤪

4 hours ago, Rusty_Farmer said:

ok ...lets find something else to beat up.😕

290541008_6522326161148269_2351751393062024018_n.thumb.jpg.1fe8342b07fe592e8cef098da35d3e4d.jpg

Oh man, I am 60 miles away in the truck and I can feel my wife's (who is home in bed) eyes burning a hole right through me😅.    😬

• Haha 11

19 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

This covers most of what is required 

Anything less than 10,000 pounds requires (1) tie down in the front and (1) tie down in the rear

That man impresses me.  Whether he changes and morphs into an ass, when officially on duty, I do not know, but taking the time, (while standing out in the drizzle and cold to boot), and EXPLAINING things, is something that the rest of those in his 'profession' are loathe to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

290541008_6522326161148269_2351751393062024018_n.thumb.jpg.1fe8342b07fe592e8cef098da35d3e4d.jpg

Oh man, I am 60 miles away in the truck and I can feel my wife's (who is home in bed) eyes burning a hole right through me😅.    😬

You sure it wasn't the candles 🤔 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, hardtail said:

And with the GM hydroboost system you get both on the diesel, who ever dreamed that up should be shot, if you ever lose one its essential to have the other

Actually, while steering assist is lost you still have brakes through an accumulator. Try it. Place truck in neutral and coast, shut engine off and try braking and there should be plenty of stopping available.

Hydro boost is on gas 3/4 and 1 tons.

….back to the original reason for this thread…. It would be interesting to know what the speed of this semi was when the steering gear failed. What is the speed limit on that road on which this accident occurred? Just curious I guess.

Also- Is there anything that could have or should have been done, ie: preventative maintenance-wise, to have prevented this accident from ever happening? Not familiar with a big old cab-over truck like this, but could the gear have been visually inspected for signs of impending failure, or should it have been replaced after “X” amount of time, or after  “X” amount of mileage?  Sorry for any dumb questions, but I just never get to be around any big trucks so am unfamiliar with routine inspection, maintenance, service or replacement of such parts on big semi tractor trucks. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

….back to the original reason for this thread…. It would be interesting to know what the speed of this semi was when the steering gear failed. What is the speed limit on that road on which this accident occurred? Just curious I guess.

Also- Is there anything that could have or should have been done, ie: preventative maintenance-wise, to have prevented this accident from ever happening? Not familiar with a big old cab-over truck like this, but could the gear have been visually inspected for signs of impending failure, or should it have been replaced after “X” amount of time, or after  “X” amount of mileage?  Sorry for any dumb questions, but I just never get to be around any big trucks so am unfamiliar with routine inspection, maintenance, service or replacement of such parts on big semi tractor trucks. 

The question would be was it the box itself? Or the linkages coming from box to the axle itself?

If it was outside the box you look for slop and wear in everything. Even if there is slop in your steering wheel and it leads to the box.

You want everything nice a tight. No wandering all over the road 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bkorth said:

Danny, I'm not picking on you by any means because I've seen many tractors chained that way but chaining the front down by the weight bracket just isn't a good idea. A cousin and I were taking his 1466 to a pull and had it chained that way, hit a bad hole in the road that bounced us pretty good, he looked in the mirror and saw 100 pound weights and a bracket cartwheeling down the highway, snapped the bolts right off. Luckily nobody was behind us and didn't meet anyone,  haven't chained one that way since.

As long as the proper grade of bolts are used to bolt the bracket to the tractor, there shouldn’t be a problem I wouldn’t think. 5 of the 6 IH large frame tractors I owned were delivered to me on semi-trailers after I bought them. I drove 1 tractor home myself after purchasing it.

4 of the delivered tractors had front end weights on them and were also chained down at the front weight brackets. The 1 tractor had no front end weights but was still chained at the front weight bracket.

I had requested the tractors to not be chained around the front axles when being hauled.

They all made it to me just fine, but, I guess anything can happen at any time. 

13 minutes ago, 7and8and1456 said:

Whoa!  Wonder what can be salvaged from those tractors? Tranny enternals should be OK, PTO units, three point hitch parts, rear axles if not bent, cast rear wheel centers if not damaged , tires. Engines????

I wonder too.   

Easiest way to fix "that" tractor is going to be move that serial tag to one already in one piece.     

Sure not much left the way it looks in pictures but they sell parts everyday to fix them. Just a big project 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 7and8and1456 said:

Whoa!  Wonder what can be salvaged from those tractors? Tranny enternals should be OK, PTO units, three point hitch parts, rear axles if not bent, cast rear wheel centers if not damaged , tires. Engines????

Sucks that such great looking tractors are reduced to boneyard carcasses. What a waste. You don't feel to bad when the tractor you're knocking on the head looks like a survivor of the Battle of Okinawa but prior accident they looked great 

• Like 1

Just now, Super A_sepa said:

I wonder too.   

Easiest way to fix "that" tractor is going to be move that serial tag to one already in one piece.     

Sure not much left the way it looks in pictures but they sell parts everyday to fix them. Just a big project 

It's not that tractor at the end of the day. It's like naming someone after a dead relative. The name is the same but it isn't him or her.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

It's not that tractor at the end of the day. It's like naming someone after a dead relative. The name is the same but it isn't him or her.

You're right, but till everything is replaced that appears broken its not that tractor either by much. It'll be a part of several tractors. 

If lucky the center and rear housings will be OK but I'm not sure I wouldn't at least have in the back of my head that everything besides that could need replaced.   Becomes hard to do that on a tractor with no sentimental value.

2 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Also- Is there anything that could have or should have been done, ie: preventative maintenance-wise, to have prevented this accident from ever happening?

Rick, l don't know what year model that the cabover KW was in the accident, but back in the late '80's and early '90's there was a major recall on certain types of steering boxes that affected just about all class 8 truck manufactures but really hit PACCAR (Pete and KW). What was really odd was at the time l drove for a company that had a fleet of 250 1987 to 1995 Marmon's. They were all included in the recall but only about 50 trucks actually had the defective steering box.

3 hours ago, Rick G. said:

What is the speed limit on that road on which this accident occurred? Just curious I guess.     

55mph. Traffic light about  200 yards  behind the accident. Where he went off there is a gradual curve going to the left if you are headed north which he was.  Not a bad curve unless you don,t have steering. Accident was two and a half miles from where I live.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well I think @Lazy WP was eluding to was if this community is so stringent that an owner would be shunned, lose points, etc for adding securement points onto his tractor or choose straps vs chains to protect the paint that could have big $$$'s over the rules and safety of the public we have gone too far. It's not this community it's all of these types of things and society in general today.

Regarding how a tractor/machine is either chained, strapped, or held in place by baler twine, during transport, look and see how they are held down during transport from the factory, and replicate that method.  (A picture or two of that, should be good enough to establish its authenticity, and put the correct police in their place) (As far as 'detractors', they are the same 'experts' that, in the world of John Deere, WILL SAY that John Deere himself gave a free hog to Uncle Snot when he bought a new Model "GP" tractor during the depression, AND that "GP" stands for general practicioneer. (These 'experts" NEVER spent any seat time in the field on one, but do block  the aisles at shows as they debate whether it is a "Popping Johnny", or "Johnny Popper").

Fk 'em and feed them fish heads.

• Haha 3

You guys got sucked in quite the vortex here.

I swear the thing could have been taken out with an IED, al Queda could have explicitly taken credit for it, and you'd still be raving about load securement.

It's like some see a trailer and they get target fixation. Sheesh.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KWRB said:

You guys got sucked in quite the vortex here.

I swear the thing could have been taken out with an IED, al Queda could have explicitly taken credit for it, and you'd still be raving about load securement.

It's like some see a trailer and they get target fixation. Sheesh.

And I use straps. So there!

Pop a nitro.

• Haha 3

Common sense goes a long ways in life.

Proper Pre Trip Inspections are not done as they should always be done!

DOT certified chain and binders, no farm store china junk.

So sorry sucks to see things like this and I see way worse on a daily basis!

8 hours ago, Rick G. said:

• Like 1

What this could lead to, is, as California has done, regarding emissions, or as the fking Federal government has done, when it implemented "Cash For Clunkers", or when they destroyed not so old tractors by cutting a hole in the block, to control emmissions, is to ban outright these older semi-tractors from the highway.

• Sad 1

Art, its already happening. The first step is requiring e-logs. Not cheap to retrofit a fleet of old trucks.

The little outfit that i drove local p and d for in portland is almost belly up. The only thing keeping them alive is they havnt enforced the e log on local trucks.

Next will be retro def systems...

I realized i left out part of my explanation above... we hauled a lot of booze. So my job locally was picking up booze from olcc in portland and then haul back to our yard. End of the night we put together sets for the line drivers...who we employed. NOW they sub out the line hauls to other companies with newer trucks.