Anyone know the story on the semi load of old IH tractors wrecked in OH?????

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

For cadets, hay string will do, just get all 4 corners and one piece for each attachment 

Yeah, probs not. 

19 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

And that gentleman, is why we use chains, not straps! 

the trailer is upside down🤢. would make a difference what he used. It would be nice to know the full story 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hillman said:

the trailer is upside down🤢. would make a difference what he used. It would be nice to know the full story 

My comment was off the cuff, based on my personal prejudices and opinions on tie downs, not based in fact or science or laws. I should have kept it to myself. Personally, anything bigger than a lawnmower, I like chains.

that said, my sympathies and best wishes go out to those involved, they clearly were heavily invested, and made thought through decisions they felt best suited their needs, and what happened was terrible and extremely unfortunate.  

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

My comment was off the cuff, based on my personal prejudices and opinions on tie downs, not based in fact or science or laws. I should have kept it to myself. Personally, anything bigger than a lawnmower, I like chains.

that said, my sympathies and best wishes go out to those involved, they clearly were heavily invested, and made thought through decisions they felt best suited their needs, and what happened was terrible and extremely unfortunate.  

Don't beat yourself up too much as I think the majority of people on here were thinking the same thing. 

Proper or improperly securing the load didn't cause the accident. Had the steering gear not failed those tractors would have made it  home safe and sound even with  possibly inadequate securing.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I agree with you on straps but it did turn out a mechanical failure on the truck. 

I feel for the guy🏳️

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

For cadets, hay string will do, just get all 4 corners and one piece for each attachment 

Is this type of comment really needed?   A guy is concerned about his fellow collectors and friends safety and all you can think to do is be an ass....?

Chris. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, farmallman77 said:

Is this type of comment really needed?   A guy is concerned about his fellow collectors and friends safety and all you can think to do is be an ass....?

Chris. 

Have you had a bowel movement lately? Perhaps a Dr is in order, WAAAAY too up tight. 

You gotta admit Seth you have been stirring away on this one...

I can only imagine the stress involved after being in a wreck with the authorities now and substantial damage of equipment that obviously meant a great investment in many levels

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 5488Duke said:

Word I got was the tractors were from the Hageman collection and that the steering box failed on the semi causing the driver to lose all steering.   Driver was ok I heard. 

Thanks for the update.  Glad the driver is OK.  Iron can be replaced, health not so easily and life not at all.  My biggest fear by far of highway driving is steering loss.

49 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Thanks for the update.  Glad the driver is OK.  Iron can be replaced, health not so easily and life not at all.  My biggest fear by far of highway driving is steering loss.

Exactly. Never know it’s out until too late.

As far as all the other comments- we’ve all done stuff we know to be incorrect or wrong. “Won’t happen to me…. or this’ll work I’m only going so far…”

hindsight is always 20/20 and if that fella took that many pieces to that show, he had a special place in his soul for them. Especially  way they looked. 
I personally do not give one rats ass about why he should have or could have done differently. And I’d be willing to wager a bet he has already played that chain of events out a million times already.

we are all adults. Well most of us. Either way, let’s get along

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

Exactly. Never know it’s out until too late.

As far as all the other comments- we’ve all done stuff we know to be incorrect or wrong. “Won’t happen to me…. or this’ll work I’m only going so far…”

hindsight is always 20/20 and if that fella took that many pieces to that show, he had a special place in his soul for them. Especially  way they looked. 
I personally do not give one rats ass about why he should have or could have done differently. And I’d be willing to wager a bet he has already played that chain of events out a million times already.

we are all adults. Well most of us. Either way, let’s get along

My thoughts exactly!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

You gotta admit Seth you have been stirring away on this one...

I can only imagine the stress involved after being in a wreck with the authorities now and substantial damage of equipment that obviously meant a great investment in many levels

And I apologized for giving the first stir, but the hay string comment was made in jest and funny. Like putting out a doghouse fire with little paper cups. 
Some people are way too serious. 

E1A88D4A-7070-4D9F-90DA-6800A16198F0.gif

• Like 1

So sad. Hope everyone involved is ok . 

• Like 1

Let's all play nice in our sandbox here fellas. 

It was suggested that we could have a thread on here about tieing down equipment. While such a thread could indeed be useful and educational, I can't imagine the chit show that would be. Ask 10 truckers and you're likely to get 10 answers. Ask 10 state troopers and they likely don't know or won't give you a direct answer. Heck, I bet 5 DOT enforcement officers would give different answers. I'm guessing that Dennis and Sally don't want ANYTHING to do with the liability issues that such a thread could create. 

Let's remember that the DOT rules/laws are the absolute minimum required. Just like plumbing or electrical codes are to establish a minimum standard. It is entirely permissible to do better. Like someone else already pointed out,  it's better to do more than end up with the load in the cab with you. JMHO 

Really feel sorry for anyone involved in the accident. Hopefully the tractors can be saved. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

My worst fear while driving is steering loss or loss of brakes.

I’ve never really thought of steering as much as brakes. If I loose steering but have brakes maybe I can stop. If I loose brakes steering is almost useless. Obviously after this, yea steering is a big deal. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

And I apologized for giving the first stir, but the hay string comment was made in jest and funny. Like putting out a doghouse fire with little paper cups. 
Some people are way too serious. 

E1A88D4A-7070-4D9F-90DA-6800A16198F0.gif

Fwiw I took it as a joke and smiled. It's unfortunate that it offended some. And I mean no disrespect to those folks either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wes806 said:

My worst fear while driving is steering loss or loss of brakes.

And with the GM hydroboost system you get both on the diesel, who ever dreamed that up should be shot, if you ever lose one its essential to have the other

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

512DE82C-A147-4359-84B2-E33DA7B1D31E.gif

I see nothing funny about animal abuse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I see nothing funny about animal abuse.

You could tie them together with “hay string” and see who wins?  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Dang that is to bad , glad to hear they are all ok 👍 Don’t want to add insult to the injury but when I seen those tractors all down in the trees smashed I knew they where not tied correct and when I just seen the 2” Ratchet straps under the trailer  that was holding those tractors down 😳😳😞😞  Anything over 10,000 lbs has to have 4 chains and binders per unit ,  and they have to pull forward and backwards . 
I feel bad for this guy and I’m sure he didn’t know that he had to tie the stuff down like that and lucky there not dead , the tractors can be fixed , there are lots of parts around .

‘Danny 

1E61F635-F3D7-4C7E-A0E5-DC0A6731B632.jpeg

Danny, I'm not picking on you by any means because I've seen many tractors chained that way but chaining the front down by the weight bracket just isn't a good idea. A cousin and I were taking his 1466 to a pull and had it chained that way, hit a bad hole in the road that bounced us pretty good, he looked in the mirror and saw 100 pound weights and a bracket cartwheeling down the highway, snapped the bolts right off. Luckily nobody was behind us and didn't meet anyone,  haven't chained one that way since.

45 minutes ago, Rusty_Farmer said:

ok ...lets find something else to beat up.😕

People passing on the left while turning left??