Anyone know the story on the semi load of old IH tractors wrecked in OH?????

31 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Unless you were involved, I recommend praying for the family who lost a loved one and leave it at that. 

There were no injuries to any person. Unless you are considering the tractors a "loved one".

• Like 5

This is a sad read .... 

Proves again things can get out of control in the blink of an eye....

Prepare for the worst , and live the unexpected. 

HP

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

There were no injuries to any person. Unless you are considering the tractors a "loved one".

My mistake. I thought that the article said there was a fatality. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lazy WP said:

I thought that at first too. Think it was a link to another article.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Never the less, you are right, none of us seem to have been there and we shouldn’t rake someone over the coals without actual information. I apologize for starting it. 

• Thanks 1

Ouch.

Regarding the straps, not my first choice for securing a tractor BUT back when I read up on cargo securement I saw nothing that specifically forbade straps.  The only stipulation was sufficient load rating of the securement for the cargo weight.

One thing I learned since:  no matter how much load rating the cargo securement has, in an accident/collision there is a good chance the G loads will exceed the maximum breaking strength of the securement (or the anchors) and then you have a large cannon ball . . . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Regarding the straps, not my first choice for securing a tractor BUT back when I read up on cargo securement I saw nothing that specifically forbade straps.  The only stipulation was sufficient load rating of the securement for the cargo weight.

My rule of thumb is straps are good up to 10K loads any thing over that is chain for me

I always try to use at least one chain on the under 10K stuff  

The problem with straps is the tags need to be readable for the working load and they get damaged easily 

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

My rule of thumb is straps are good to up 10K loads any thing over that is chain for me

I always try to use at least one chain on the under 10K stuff  

The problem with straps is the tags need to be readable for the working load and they get damaged easily 

I am so glad you are such an expert and sharing all of your wisdom with us!! Now give it a rest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Word I got was the tractors were from the Hageman collection and that the steering box failed on the semi causing the driver to lose all steering.   Driver was ok I heard. 

• Thanks 5
  • Sad 4

18 minutes ago, 5488Duke said:

Word I got was the tractors were from the Hageman collection and that the steering box failed on the semi causing the driver to lose all steering.   Driver was ok I heard. 

Nothing was going to save that load if that is what happened. A failure like that, it’s a small miracle no one was killed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

I am so glad you are such an expert and sharing all of your wisdom with us!! Now give it a rest. 

Somebody piss on your cornflakes this morning? There are a lot of ignorant farmers and wanna be truckers out there, I have family that drives on the road too...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dang that is to bad , glad to hear they are all ok 👍 Don’t want to add insult to the injury but when I seen those tractors all down in the trees smashed I knew they where not tied correct and when I just seen the 2” Ratchet straps under the trailer  that was holding those tractors down 😳😳😞😞  Anything over 10,000 lbs has to have 4 chains and binders per unit ,  and they have to pull forward and backwards . 
I feel bad for this guy and I’m sure he didn’t know that he had to tie the stuff down like that and lucky there not dead , the tractors can be fixed , there are lots of parts around .

‘Danny 

1E61F635-F3D7-4C7E-A0E5-DC0A6731B632.jpeg

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Those were the three I just put together but had not posted. 756 german engine is telltale. White seat and Goodyear tires on the 1256. Tires on the 1026. 

I concur.  You can see the 1026 hydro transmission in the one photo.  756 engine is a tell. White seat made me think 1256 too.  Sad reminder of what can happen on the road.  Thankfully the driver is okay.

Those were the three I just put together but had not posted. 756 german engine is telltale. White seat and Goodyear tires on the 1256. Tires on the 1026. 

I concur.  You can see the 1026 hydro transmission in the one photo.  756 engine is a tell. White seat made me think 1256 too.  Sad reminder of what can happen on the road.  Thankfully the driver is okay.

Not to be a smartass, but maybe we should have a thread dedicated to properly loading a trailer and securing it for those that just don't know if there hasn't been already 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 5488Duke said:

Glad to hear confirmation no one was hurt. If you have the contact I for one would like to pass my condolences on the loss of the tractors. 

7 minutes ago, drglinski said:

Not to be a smartass, but maybe we should have a thread dedicated to properly loading a trailer and securing it for those that just don't know if there hasn't been already 

For cadets, hay string will do, just get all 4 corners and one piece for each attachment 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

Shouldn't have been overweight with those three tractors.  

Almost looks like the 756 that was posted in the RU pic thread? 

Hope not.

Hate to see it. 

There was only one 756 at the show, and this was it.  So sad.  My heart aches for those involved.

20220624_154713.thumb.jpg.0044db641f9ba8a1817fcadf332d5f1e.jpg

Screenshot_20220627-113451_Facebook.thumb.jpg.a599ed2805f648b069be06ffb4eb4957.jpg

Appears to be the 756 on the front, 1026 in middle and 1256 on the rear backwards. 

1 hour ago, drglinski said:

That would be a good idea 

I am no expert

I just know what one of the old timers showed me

He did some things that aren't required by law saying it's about self preservation you don't want that stuff in your sleeper  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Somebody piss on your cornflakes this morning? There are a lot of ignorant farmers and wanna be truckers out there, I have family that drives on the road too...

Come show me how to secure my loads please. How many chains am I supposed to have for 4699 gallon of ATS? Or 60,000 pounds of wheat? 

6 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Come show me how to secure my loads please. How many chains am I supposed to have for 4699 gallon of ATS? Or 60,000 pounds of wheat? 

I understand you have made poor life choices but no need to bring snarkiness here...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm just sad this occurred on what appears to have been a great weekend celebrating the red tractors we love, thanking the Lord there wasn't worse injuries or loss of life but not downplaying how devastating this must be to those involved

• Like 8