TD-14A Radiator Leak

The lower radiator gasket is leaking. Is there any known patch, liquid steel, etc. that could be applied to circumvent having to pull the front end off the tractor?

Vic346.thumb.JPG.a5ccbfb932c1b3966ae86c620133758f.JPG

JB Weld has an epoxy product for coolant but I don't think it would work well here by my gut, if you drained everything, really cleaned it up got rid of loose paint rust and used carb cleaner maybe, you might be able to try an internal coolant stopleak with better results 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

Well B Vic is in his 80's and has been man enough summer and winter so not sure that comment was necessary, JB Weld has an epoxy product for coolant but I don't think it would work well here by my gut, if you drained everything, really cleaned it up got rid of loose paint rust and used carb cleaner maybe, you might be able to try an internal coolant stop leak with better results.

Thanks for the plug, Hardtail!  Actually, I'm trying to get away cheap as I don't need the tractor any more as well as my -14.  I'm moving down the hill where I won't need them.  I'd like to patch it up as the rest of it is in working order.  I just finished using it last winter on my driveway.  I'd love to sell both tractors for whatever I can get for them to get them off my property.  There are many good parts (new & rebuilt) on both of them that I've added over 20 years.  And they are both in running order (minus the radiator leak).

Vic

I doubt if there is really anything that is going to fix that other than pulling it out and doing it right. Like @hardtail said there are some things that you might try, but I wouldn’t expect much. If you’re done with them anyway, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try. I hope they go to a good home eventually. 

3 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I doubt if there is really anything that is going to fix that other than pulling it out and doing it right. Like @hardtail said there are some things that you might try, but I wouldn’t expect much. If you’re done with them anyway, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try. I hope they go to a good home eventually. 

I agree!

Vic

Radiator stop leaks are like painkillers. You take a pill and wonder how it knows where the hurt is and goes straight to it.

The punchline here is, it doesn't. It goes everywhere and plugs into all the pain receptors.

Radiator stop leak works the same way. It might stop the leak but it will also go anywhere there's a small passage, and plug it. On an old radiator like that, I'd imagine there are a lot of small passages.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Radiator stop leaks are like painkillers. You take a pill and wonder how it knows where the hurt is and goes straight to it.

The punchline here is, it doesn't. It goes everywhere and plugs into all the pain receptors.

Radiator stop leak works the same way. It might stop the leak but it will also go anywhere there's a small passage, and plug it. On an old radiator like that, I'd imagine there are a lot of small passages.

That's a tough analogy to follow---I've never taken a pain killer!

Vic

• Haha 2

Hope your keeping the Jeep?

Is down the hill on the same property or your moving to the valley?

Get The Right Stuff. I have used it to patch old radiators which i mounted on an engine cart to run old engines from time to time, and regularly use it to repair cracked diesel tanks on tractors. (Both steel and plastic) I even patched a cracked Farmall Super A block with it. Drain it, clean it very well, and make sure it is dry. When I use it in this manner I like to let it fully cure for 24 hours. Is is very similar to the black urethane that is used to retain vehicle windshields. It will also glue anything to anything. 

IMG_20220627_1440209.jpg

• Like 2

He will need to drain all the coolant and probably blow out that gap with compressed air to dry it up, definitely worth a shot

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

Hope your keeping the Jeep?

Is down the hill on the same property or your moving to the valley?

I am keeping the Jeep & we're going to the west side of Moses Lake where my wife has a couple of relatives left.  

• Like 1

Thanks, "Doc"!  I'll try it your way---it sounds good to me.  I think I'll put a heater on it to help evaporate any moisture left in the radiator.

Vic

• Like 1

It's all over.  Yesterday I sold both tractors to a local industrial mechanic for $2000.  He had to come only 5 miles to pick them up.

Vic

All the best Vic, still stop by, you've been a part of this forum for a long time ♥️

7 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Tell him about the forum. 

Good idea---I'll tell him!

Vic

Thanks, hardtail!  I plan on keeping in touch with the forum.  I might even be able to pass on a tip I've gotten or share the results of an experience I've had in the last 20 years.

Vic