318 lawn mower

pt756

Hello there again, our very dependable 318 lawn tractor looks like there will be a problem with the onan motor, always understood that they are high priced to fix with hard to get parts, tractor has about 1000 hours on it and we have had it for almost 40 years, so i see guys repower them, i have always thought fix what you got, anybody ahve experience with the onan? it is 18 horsepower,

I had one.  Kept fixin the Onan until 3,4 years ago.  Priced a Honda repower kit.  About $1800 then, for everything. 

Instead, I traded the 318 on a new mower.  It's been fine, but if I could go back, I would buy the Honda kit and fix mine.  I'd do it in a heartbeat.  These new "lawn tractors" will never ever be what the 318 was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pt756 said:

Hello there again, our very dependable 318 lawn tractor looks like there will be a problem with the onan motor, always understood that they are high priced to fix with hard to get parts, tractor has about 1000 hours on it and we have had it for almost 40 years, so i see guys repower them, i have always thought fix what you got, anybody ahve experience with the onan? it is 18 horsepower,

A lot of 318 owners have done excellent with a Honda repower.  

Never had a 318, but suspect they were the best lawn tractor ever built. many around here still going with some repowered. I bought a used 316 in 1991 and ran it till august of 2021. I bought a repower kit for it in late 90s, was a 23hp kohler, nice install, took about 2 hrs. Around 2000 put a newer series, bigger deck on it. Got to using oil the last 5 yrs. Probly in 2019 started putting 80-90wt or 85-140wt in it, had nothing to lose. That lowered consumption considerable, could mow the lawn 2x without adding instead of adding 2x each lawn mowing. It still ran good, took it to consignment sale with writing on hood that it used oil. Got  $100 for it.  Bought a new simplicity Cobalt LE zero turn, its an animal

I wanted a 318 so bad. Ended up with an Ariens GT-18 . 
the kholer command were popular and plentiful. Might be worth investigating. 

We had a 318 back in the 1990s. Loved it. I was mowing along a field edge with it to tidy up along the edge of a dirt back road. My Mom drove out to pick me up, she wanted help with something in the basement back home. I also had lunch at home before she drove me back out to the field edge off the back road. 318 was gone. Sons-a-bitches. I was PISSED. My Dad reamed me a new rear end. I left the key in it, made it too easy. We reported it to the county sheriff, serial number and all. Never knew what happened to it. Don’t know if it got driven off or trailered away. Borrowed a neighbor’s Cub Cadet to mow our yard one time after that before Dad went and bought a Wheel Horse. But really missed that 318.

You guys are spelling GARDEN TRACTOR wrong.      318 is capable of ground engaging work. 

Anyway! :)

I'd repower the 318 and keep it as previously said you can't replace it with anything newer and expect the same quality. 

And yes I'm aware when I mow my yard with one of my  big Red tractors and Bush hog technically it's a lawn tractor! :)

7130 BH2615.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, B.B. said:

And yes I'm aware when I mow my yard with one of my  big Red tractors and Bush hog technically it's a (identifies as a) lawn tractor! :)

Fixed it for ya using the current buzzword! 😁

As for the repower..LS swap it? 🤔🤷‍♂️😁 they seem to put em everywhere now days!!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Fixed it for ya using the current buzzword! 😁

As for the repower..LS swap it? 🤔🤷‍♂️😁 they seem to put em everywhere now days!!

LOL   My magnum probably does identify as an 86 series considering that's what the bulk of my tractors are! :)

LS swap... hmm   only if it's boosted!   BOOOOOOOOOOOOST! 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, B.B. said:

You guys are spelling GARDEN TRACTOR wrong.      318 is capable of ground engaging work. 

Anyway! :)

I'd repower the 318 and keep it as previously said you can't replace it with anything newer and expect the same quality. 

And yes I'm aware when I mow my yard with one of my  big Red tractors and Bush hog technically it's a lawn tractor! :)

7130 BH2615.jpeg

This belongs in the "overkill" thread 🤠

• Haha 1

I have a 316 that was sold new when I was a mechanic at the Deere dealership. Years later a salesman friend let me know it had been traded in and my Sister bought it. A few years before she died, she sold it to me. I would repower it for sure if something happened to the P218 ONAN. Last year I bought a 318 that had been shoved through a garage wall by someone who got forward and reverse mixed up in their truck. Hopefully, that will be a power steering/2nd remote valve donor for the 316. The engine in that one is a B43G and it broke the oil pan, as well as, bending almost every piece of sheet metal on it. The mower looked more like it fell off somebody's trailer going down the interstate.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

well finally got the 318 down to the local repair guy, as i said oil was running out of the motor and smoking, tonight while milking he shows up with it, showed me the oil sending unit that was bad, solved the problem for now, thanks for replies, wish more fixes were like this,