Jump to content

2025 RPRU?


drglinski
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

  RPRU is a national show in that some exhibitors and vendors most likely would not consider going to what they may feel is a lesser venue.  I'm within a half hour of the JD Expo in NY when it is done and can tell you that some items come from several hundred miles away to be shown or sold.  But it will be impacted by high fuel costs when the next one happens and never happened in '21 due to the shutdowns.   But closer to the topic is should a state such as California be awarded its own RPRU event?  I feel that it should as it would be close for those who live in the West.  But the rub is how the Midwest folks feel about it.  Here in NY there has been fighting over Empire Farm Days which is a new equipment show just like those in the Midwest.   Empire rooted down in the Finger Lakes Region back during the late 1980's but there were people who did not like that even though it saved somewhat on cost versus rotating sites.  Last year it went down by Syracuse to placate folks there.  I'm sure there are those in the Western part of NY that would like to see it in that area.  Its just natural to want a show close to home and be upset when it is done at a distance to home.  There will be those that will refuse to attend based on location.  I hear it all the time.  I don't know what people would do if another one was done down to Cornell like it was during the early 1970's.

I'd like to get to all the shows in all the locations. All have different things to offer. I really missed making it to Alabama as the cotton and LP equipment is interesting to me. I have only made it to Union Grove in 16 and Bloomsburg in 19. I'm in a busy time of life as I didn't get to Ohio this year and didn't make Bloomsburg in 2003 as my wedding was a few weeks afterwards 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bitty said:

I'd like to get to all the shows in all the locations. All have different things to offer. I really missed making it to Alabama as the cotton and LP equipment is interesting to me. I have only made it to Union Grove in 16 and Bloomsburg in 19. I'm in a busy time of life as I didn't get to Ohio this year and didn't make Bloomsburg in 2003 as my wedding was a few weeks afterwards 

Different locations can't replicate the shows from other areas because of their differences 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of all the roundups I've missed, I regret 2020 the most BECAUSE it was far flung. I really wish I could have seen all the cotton/rice/cane equipment.

I'd go to California IN A SECOND for just that reason. Granted, I wouldn't drive, but there's no reason to haul a little old Farmall C to California either. If I could have brought an orchard tractor to the Midwest, that would have been worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the California some of you would enjoy as much as any other state. The more diesel we  burn and smoke we make.😆 This pictures Tony posted from the 2018 show. The big problem it is Memorial Day weekend and is promoted as tribute to the veterans as well as celebrating agricultural history. So the time is bad for other areas and it is not apt to be changeable on this end. It was the HECA and ACMOC (Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club ) national show in 2017. Is the National Red Power always a stand alone Red show, or has been in conjunction  with a regional show of other or all colors?

But with luck click on Best of the West on top and Tony's many picture will remind you California is the 3rd largest state and so much more than big blue cities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ray54 said:

This is the California some of you would enjoy as much as any other state. The more diesel we  burn and smoke we make.😆 This pictures Tony posted from the 2018 show. The big problem it is Memorial Day weekend and is promoted as tribute to the veterans as well as celebrating agricultural history.

Why would this be "a problem", ONLY the MEDIA seems to forget the REAL reason for "celebrating" Memorial Day, as they, being the brain dead oafs that they are, promoting it as "the first day of summer", a day to be 'enjoyed" BBQing and spending the "first day of the summer season" outdoors and having fun, INSTEAD of contemplating and memorializing the ULTIMATE sacrifice that these men made as they fought and died for OUR FREEDOM.

"Freedoms" that would include  "burning diesel and making smoke".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, KWRB said:

Of all the roundups I've missed, I regret 2020 the most BECAUSE it was far flung. I really wish I could have seen all the cotton/rice/cane equipment.

I'd go to California IN A SECOND for just that reason. Granted, I wouldn't drive, but there's no reason to haul a little old Farmall C to California either. If I could have brought an orchard tractor to the Midwest, that would have been worth it.

I am one who would be in California. If I'm still above the grass.

Just like Alabama with the cotton, I would want to see Calfornia for the nuts. (Not the people)

Each area has something different to showcase.

The vegetable farmers would be great to see also as I am sure there is a lot of different equipment.

The show is about IH, the area farmers and what they produce for America.

I think a RPRU in California would be great.

California will have plenty of IH's to show.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, drglinski said:

From what I understand Red Power Roundup has always been a strictly IH show and not in conjunction with another show.  Imo it should stay that way. 

 

Not always but has become a stand alone show. When Michigan hosted it was part of another show and also when Sandwich ,Illinois hosted it was that way. RPRU has grown since then but I think it has lost some of its diversity. (I haven't been since Lima , Ohio.) It was more appealing to a wider group when it was part of another show. It also allowed for that show to host events not permitted by the IHCc insurance(tractor pulls for one) . Being held in conjunction with a host show also helps with the volunteer shortage, and allows the visitor to participate in any of the host shows regular activities. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry not being clear in the last post.  What I meant was timing would be a problem for corn/bean farmers to do a show before mid June. 

 

I am not that involved in tractor shows, but don't think there is a chance of getting a stand alone IH show out here. Now featuring all things IH at a existing show might not be that hard.

The Best of the West show is all outdoors unless you bring your own tent or large shade. Very good odds of no rain, as May to Oct it just does not happen. Far bigger problem is it could be 85 to 105, but as we always say A DRY HEAT. Which it is and always cools down as the sun goes down. This show is on a large ranch left from the Mexican days of land-grants.  The current owners have been allowing a number of events. There has been as a large a area that is flat and mowed, at least equal to what is now used.  So unlike the show grounds at Tulare (show Tony is with) or a fair ground there is area to spread out. But only dreaming of what could be. Without knowing if others have interest. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rjpont said:

Not always but has become a stand alone show. When Michigan hosted it was part of another show and also when Sandwich ,Illinois hosted it was that way. RPRU has grown since then but I think it has lost some of its diversity. (I haven't been since Lima , Ohio.) It was more appealing to a wider group when it was part of another show. It also allowed for that show to host events not permitted by the IHCc insurance(tractor pulls for one) . Being held in conjunction with a host show also helps with the volunteer shortage, and allows the visitor to participate in any of the host shows regular activities. 

Yep, the Sandwich, Il RPRU was held in conjunction with the Sandwich Early Days Engine Club show held annually in June; I believe the 2001 show was at Penfield, IL, and coincided with the annual show held by a local club there (I & I ??). I kind of understood that that was how most of the early Roundups were held, until they grew big enough to be a stand alone show. I'm sure there are advantages and drawbacks to each situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

   Is RPRU going to even survive?  Magazine had 0 representatives,  which owns this forum.  2022 show had very few suppliers of new parts where.  Yes,  88 restorer was there & thanks for coming.  I thought the crowds were down to other 8 rpru’s I been to.  Sure blame it on price of fuel,  can you ever see it coming down?  Someone is getting way richer at those prices.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, redturbo said:

   Is RPRU going to even survive?  Magazine had 0 representatives,  which owns this forum.  2022 show had very few suppliers of new parts where.  Yes,  88 restorer was there & thanks for coming.  I thought the crowds were down to other 8 rpru’s I been to.  Sure blame it on price of fuel,  can you ever see it coming down?  Someone is getting way richer at those prices.  

It's up to those that can volunteer and represent to do so to make that determination. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, redturbo said:

   Is RPRU going to even survive?  Magazine had 0 representatives,  which owns this forum.  2022 show had very few suppliers of new parts where.  Yes,  88 restorer was there & thanks for coming.  I thought the crowds were down to other 8 rpru’s I been to.  Sure blame it on price of fuel,  can you ever see it coming down?  Someone is getting way richer at those prices.  

  The portion of the population that cares is heading off to posterity.  Not just lovers of IH but classic JD, Ford, Oliver, and down the line.  You don't see N series Fords out and about like you used to.  They are most likely still around but not being used like they were years ago.  Enjoy all these shows while you can.  Probably when I get to be an old man I expect that a lot of them will be gone.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sallie told me the reason that she and Dennis didn't come is because they were working to get the latest issue of the Magazine out. This has happened with past years, publication deadlines don't always line up with show schedules. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, whatever Dennis and Sallie did this last month must have really worked. Got mine last Friday(June 24) already. That's got to be the earliest I have ever seen Redpower Magazine. 

20220628_184957.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Will RPRU make it in the future? Go price a 1206 and tell me if people still care about red tractors.

  Sad to say but regardless of color I know of stuff that has never been to a show or if it has it has not been at one for a long time now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Will RPRU make it in the future? Go price a 1206 and tell me if people still care about red tractors.

I've been on this forum about three years, and that gets asked every year.

Actually someone usually states fairly unequivocally that "it won't be around much longer"... Three years later, post whatever-you-call-it of-2020-2022, it's still here while many other institutions have fallen by the wayside.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, redturbo said:

   Is RPRU going to even survive?  Magazine had 0 representatives,  which owns this forum.  2022 show had very few suppliers of new parts where.  Yes,  88 restorer was there & thanks for coming.  I thought the crowds were down to other 8 rpru’s I been to.  Sure blame it on price of fuel,  can you ever see it coming down?  Someone is getting way richer at those prices.  

Red power round up is an event having to do with the IHCC organization and has nothing to do with Red power magazine. 

One reason why chapter 17 is going to try to hold a red power showdown is it's not an IHCC event and the insurance is much less. Also they get a lot more tractors than the Roundup shows because anyone can bring a tractor without having to be a member of IHCC . Apparently there is resistance to join the club just to exhibit a tractor that has lots of money already sunk into it 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bitty said:

Apparently there is resistance to join the club just to exhibit a tractor that has lots of money already sunk into it 

Don't know what other chapters charge for dues, but chapter 35 dues are $20 or 25. That includes Harvester Highlights magazine and whatever newsletters and activities from the chapter. Hardly a reason to avoid joining just to show a tractor.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

Don't know what other chapters charge for dues, but chapter 35 dues are $20 or 25. That includes Harvester Highlights magazine and whatever newsletters and activities from the chapter. Hardly a reason to avoid joining just to show a tractor.

I'm betting it's $25. $15 of that is the National IHCC dues which pays the insurance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who wants to buy a model T Ford now?

Not many as the majority of the drivers have now passed.

The same with IH, the young farmers of today grew up with Case/IH.

South Dakota is accepting Case/IH for what it is.

It is the future of RPRU and the International Harvester Collectors Club.

If we do not, IH will be like the model T, people will ask what they are?

We do have to change with the times in order to survive!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Who wants to buy a model T Ford now?

Not many as the majority of the drivers have now passed.

The same with IH, the young farmers of today grew up with Case/IH.

South Dakota is accepting Case/IH for what it is.

It is the future of RPRU and the International Harvester Collectors Club.

If we do not, IH will be like the model T, people will ask what they are?

We do have to change with the times in order to survive!

  Agreed.  It should be said that there was a lot of emotion when the merger took effect.  A lot of IH dealers got cancelled here and it drove quite a number of farmers to other brands.  It's closing in on 40 years and there are guys who still cannot say the name "Case."

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Who wants to buy a model T Ford now?

Not many as the majority of the drivers have now passed.

The same with IH, the young farmers of today grew up with Case/IH.

South Dakota is accepting Case/IH for what it is.

It is the future of RPRU and the International Harvester Collectors Club.

If we do not, IH will be like the model T, people will ask what they are?

We do have to change with the times in order to survive!

This has been one of my concerns about the future of RedPower Roundup. As old IH guys pass on, the # of people that remember IH in its glory days gets fewer all the time.

I remember back at the 2014 RPR in Huron, SD, my old IH dealer and I made a swing through the Roundup, with him making comments about different IH products as we saw them while making our rounds. When we got back to his display, he looked at me and said, "Jim, the sad thing about this is that to anybody younger than you, this won't mean a damn thing to them in the future, because they never got to see IH firsthand when it was a big company that had many loyal customers. Now, IH is just one of many names from the past that means very little to them." Unfortunately, he's right. And I'm 51 years old. 

Look at the passing of the owners of FarmallLand, Stew's Stuff in Florida, the upcoming Huber Bros. auction....just hate to see all these monuments to the history of IH going away.

Speaking of IH monuments going away, I haven't seen the mentioning of CNH's announcement to close the former IH research facility in Hinsdale/Burr Ridge mentioned on here. CNH announced this a couple weeks ago. So soon another IH icon will be relegated to the history books. Sad overall.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...