The Dipsticks that think you don't think you need a Dipstick

jeeper61

Why can't they just give you a dipstick to check your automatic's fluid level?

I think this started on European Brands I seem to remember VWs of the early 2000's with out dipsticks  

Got 50K on my ZR2 so it time for fluid changes in the drive train 

Its got a GM 8 speed with no dipstick so I bought a kit from Lokar to add one that was $120

Got a filter came in a box with the new GM woke logo  that was priced reasonably at $16

Got the the improved low viscosity fluid that GM said was the fix for the 8 speed issues  $10 a quart 

And I got the just incase additive that supposedly fixes the shudder issues that the new fluid cured. $32 a quart  

My truck was built after the fluid fix and I have never had the the torque converter lock up shudder but I don't want it to start

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

• Like 1

Had that issue on a 2009 Jeep Liberty. Dealer reluctantly serviced the trans at 20k, then forgot to put their plug in. If the car had had a dipstick it would not have been a problem i am sure. Took a while before I noticed and long story short they flushed the trans and changed the filter again. But they weren’t happy about it. 

What year 8 spd?  I have a late built 2018 and I’ve heard of people complaining about shutter issues with them, I asked the dealer about it but of course they’ve never heard of such a thing, and they did not know anything about the updated fluid. My truck has been fine, knock on wood

I don't understand the no-dipstick for engines either. My kid's BMWs don't have them and you need a PHD in BMW to get through the dashboard menu to check. I know the car will tell you if its low on oil but I'd rather be able to check for myself.

Our 6 speed GM transmissions do have dipsticks.

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

then forgot to put their plug in. If the car had had a dipstick it would not have been a problem i am sure

Yep a rubber stopper were the dipstick should have been and the fill check is a stand pipe with a plug i.e. fill till it drips  

7 hours ago, stronger800 said:

What year 8 spd?

2019 built after July which surprised me they are normally done with that module year by then  

From what I under stand they blame the issues on a factory fill with bad fluid apparently the fluid was to hydroscopic 

Happened to both size 8 speeds 8L45 and 8L90

To me it sounds like bad clutch material 

There are some class action law suits brewing  

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

I don't understand the no-dipstick for engines either. My kid's BMWs don't have them and you need a PHD in BMW to get through the dashboard menu to check. I know the car will tell you if its low on oil but I'd rather be able to check for myself.

Our 6 speed GM transmissions do have dipsticks.

Yup. Apparently they think BMW owners are too civilized (snooty) to get their paws dirty pulling a dipstick out to check the oil… 

(BTW, I own a bmw)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It burn out at a good pace? Coworker has a ‘19 bmw car (large, pretty fancy, idk the model) but the Oil Light comes on every few weeks, he adds a half quart and goes another few weeks. I doubt he drives 400-500 miles a week. Dealership told him it’s normal, and gave him a 6 pack fancy box of quarts….like it’s a common thing. “Here we have this sturdy box, it stands up in the trunk nicely” keep it full 

• Confused 1

My wife’s Ford Explorer has the ‘sealed transmission’. 115,000 mi on the odometer, so far so good. Nobody around here will service those except the Ford dealer.

My son’s BMW has no engine dipstick, the onboard computer tells him when to add a quart. Takes a full synthetic motor oil, and minimum of 91 octane.

37 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

the newer heavy duty trucks with automatics don't have trans dipsticks either....one less thing to check on your pretrip😁

That’s because they are automated manual transmissions a leak would be noticeable. 

Most car manufacturers are going dip stickless. One of the more useless applications of technology. All it really does is cause consternation for the owner and the necessity to go to the dealer when an idiot light comes on saying there is an oil problem.

I think it’s BMW that if you add even a little too much you get a “oil over full correct level “ warning ⚠️ . Nice….

Tell me some more about this dipstick kit. First I have heard about it. I found out I didn't have a dipstick in my '15 Silverado when I went to add the additive to correct the shifting issues. Surprise, surprise!

Did have the dealer flush it and add new fluid, that helped for a while.

The average driver of today doesn't even know how to open the hood, much less check the oil level with a dipstick. It's probably for the best to keep said drivers from being able to mess with the level.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stronger800 said:

It burn out at a good pace? Coworker has a ‘19 bmw car (large, pretty fancy, idk the model) but the Oil Light comes on every few weeks, he adds a half quart and goes another few weeks. I doubt he drives 400-500 miles a week. Dealership told him it’s normal, and gave him a 6 pack fancy box of quarts….like it’s a common thing. “Here we have this sturdy box, it stands up in the trunk nicely” keep it full 

That's just wrong.

2 hours ago, CC_Ranger said:

Tell me some more about this dipstick kit. First I have heard about it. I found out I didn't have a dipstick in my '15 Silverado when I went to add the additive to correct the shifting issues. Surprise, surprise!

Did have the dealer flush it and add new fluid, that helped for a while.

Holley has this B&M Kit listed as direct fit for 8L45 and 8L90 GM trannies but it appears to be back order to the end of July

I did a little digging and found some people have used this Lokar kit for 6L80 the hole is the same size that is what I plan on using since I don't want to wait

A bracket needs to be made to hold it in place as the pic below shows  then you will need to scribe a line for the proper level 

If you don't want to get a dipstick kit there is just a plug in the hole where the Dipstick used to mount on the passenger side of the transmission 

With a hand pump you can remove some fluid and add your additive through this hole and plug 

The standpipe plug is on the other side to check the fluid level 

Here is a video of the filter change and level check 

image.thumb.png.a9c242fc2baf2a6c57b45f84c4d3bed9.png

image.png.4e9b68d18f397055c043a21ae8c1121a.png

image.png.ae55bf89254d08599cd1b7b898151857.png

2 hours ago, TomH said:

I think it’s BMW that if you add even a little too much you get a “oil over full correct level “ warning ⚠️ . Nice…

I have a couple hotrods that I like to run a quart high as cheep insurance so that would be an annoyance if they all go to that way

On a hard launch at the strip the GM LS truck oil pans don't have good baffling to stop the pick up from being exposed from the g-force   

The 5.3 and 6.0 LS truck motors are popular swaps   

Believe the Marketing Genius HENRY FORD got credit for coining the expression, "PARTS LEFT OFF OF A DESIGN WILL NEVER COME BACK FOR WARANTE REPAIRS". Engineering gets better with every money saving design!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

Holley has this B&M Kit listed as direct fit for 8L45 and 8L90 GM trannies but it appears to be back order to the end of July

I did a little digging and found some people have used this Lokar kit for 6L80 the hole is the same size that is what I plan on using since I don't want to wait

A bracket needs to be made to hold it in place as the pic below shows  then you will need to scribe a line for the proper level 

If you don't want to get a dipstick kit there is just a plug in the hole where the Dipstick used to mount on the passenger side of the transmission 

With a hand pump you can remove some fluid and add your additive through this hole and plug 

The standpipe plug is on the other side to check the fluid level 

Here is a video of the filter change and level check 

image.thumb.png.a9c242fc2baf2a6c57b45f84c4d3bed9.png

image.png.4e9b68d18f397055c043a21ae8c1121a.png

image.png.ae55bf89254d08599cd1b7b898151857.png

At least the transmission has a removable pan, AND a easily replaceable filter.

BUT, one has to wonder how much extra heat the "exhaust pipe, running UNDER the pan" adds to the operating temperature of the transmission fluid, heat that the transmission oil cooler has to work that much harder to remove.

I wonder if that section of exhaust pipe were wrapped with "header tape" would help out on lessening that "better idea".

37 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

BUT, one has to wonder how much extra heat the "exhaust pipe, running UNDER the pan" adds to the operating temperature of the transmission fluid, heat that the transmission oil cooler has to work that much harder to remove.

Its another Ripley's Ripley's Believe It or Not! story

I have a 05 Duramax CC Flatbed I tow with and last summer it was down waiting for a part when I wanted to make a trip up north with a loaded trailer 

So I took the ZR2 Colorado and pulled the trailer with it.

This was near the max tow weight of 7K  

Believe It or Not! the transmission temperature ran significantly lower than the Alison in the Duramx does with the same trailer on the same 400 mile trip and it was in the summer heat 

Go figure I expected it to be maxed out 

IMG_1049.jpg

13 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Yup. Apparently they think BMW owners are too civilized (snooty) to get their paws dirty pulling a dipstick out to check the oil… 

(BTW, I own a bmw)

IIRC in Afrikaans BMW could be reckoned to stand for "Broke but putting on airs"