Lawn mower?

Lazy WP

We are going to have to replace our mower. Have a 04 Bushhog brand 54” zero turn. Traded a almost useable Polaris 4 wheeler for it 3 years ago. Been a decent mower, but burns oil and it bent a push rod a week ago when Lisa tried to start it. Sounds like maybe a valve bonnet twisted? Makes no sense to me, but it bent the new one that our local small engine guru put in. 
That’s the back ground, now we are wanting to upgrade it. Would like a stand up deck. 54” cut or there about. Ideas?

There lots of variants of wright standers - deere - other brands - most depend on how much you spend on them to get a pressed deck vs welded deck and better  hydro drive motors 

Not sure how many companies offer the stand up deck. They’re great for maintenance, getting to the blades and cleaning the grass build up under the deck. 
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Good luck with your search 

I bought our gravely pro turn 3 years ago.

I demo'd a deere, 2 different scags and the gravely.  All of them the heavy commercial models, not the residential lines.   Went with Gravely because of the heavy hydro motors and high HP kawasaki motor, and local mom pop dealer.   Only thing i dont like about it is,  it burns the fuel without regard for higher gas prices! and no flip up deck so have to lay under it, or find a swale or something for blade change and cleaning.   Didnt find anything as heavy as i wanted that had a flip deck unless i went to more of a golf course machine like a Jacobsen or something and was double price.

I about puked when i saw the prices 3 years ago cant imagine what they are now.

Scag and Gravely did best in heavy tall grass,   Deere i looked at had the Tweel rear wheels on it as like a 1500$ up option... I wanted them bad because it made the ride so nice on that thing compared to regular tires,  but, decided to save the money.   I think about those tweels all the time ,  they are ridiculous in price though.

Your budget is what will determine what you can get, I mean you can buy a zero turn for as much as a half decent compact car. Some of the bigger diesel Kubota's push over 30K!    Hustler makes a flip up deck mower called a ....."Flip up" that starts around 6 to 7K. There might be some used ones out there for a decent price. Although who knows what a good price is these days.

8 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

We are going to have to replace our mower. Have a 04 Bushhog brand 54” zero turn. Traded a almost useable Polaris 4 wheeler for it 3 years ago. Been a decent mower, but burns oil and it bent a push rod a week ago when Lisa tried to start it. Sounds like maybe a valve bonnet twisted? Makes no sense to me, but it bent the new one that our local small engine guru put in. 
That’s the back ground, now we are wanting to upgrade it. Would like a stand up deck. 54” cut or there about. Ideas?

8 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

The older overhead valve engines all had issues with bending push rods and breaking rocker arms when the valves got loose.

You have to set the valves, at a very minimum, every two years or this happens.

When loose you usually have a hard start as if the starter is weak.

Another push rod, reset the valves and it will start like a dream.

The valve clearance determines how the compression release works.

Most are set as close as .004.

The new ones now have hydraulic lifters so these problems have went away.

Set the valves, by the book, and that engine should run again and well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We bought a new 25 horse Briggs Intec or something like that. Cost $1100. 4 hours of my time and it feels like a new mower. Thanks guys for the info 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

We bought a new 25 horse Briggs Intec or something like that. Cost $1100. 4 hours of my time and it feels like a new mower. Thanks guys for the info 

New engine?  Sounds like a decent plan. I don’t know what the old engine was but I recall Briggs having an issue with the valve guide slipping out of the head. This caused bent pushrods when the rocker contacted the guide. Or I guess more accurately when the retainers contacted the guide. 
Gool luck with your repowered  mower. 

1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

Ever hear of a goat or 2?🤣

Rick

One son went city boy on us married a city girl. Was not interested in animals. Ended up with almost a acre lot in town had horse barn and chicken coop. His wife has got into knitting big time. She decided a Angora goat and common goat friend would take over mowing. Two years and they have 7 or 8 maybe 9 goats. And they don't eat much grass, still needs to be mowed. As well as chicken, racoons, possums, and now coyotes right across the road from the elementary school.     

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Ever hear of a goat or 2?🤣

Rick

Tried using the horses but they didn’t do a very good job. 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Tried using the horses but they didn’t do a very good job. 

Mine can eat an acre by herself. :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Mine can eat an acre by herself. :D

Don’t doubt that a bit, but they don’t graze it nice and pretty. We live right next to a county road and it has to LOOK NICE! Besides there are lots of poisonous stuff around. 
Neighbor, horsey gal had to borrow our push mower because her mower broke also. I told her to graze the lawn with her ponies. She gave me the same reply as I just did you. 

33 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Don’t doubt that a bit, but they don’t graze it nice and pretty. We live right next to a county road and it has to LOOK NICE! 

I don't understand the obsession to have a perfect lawn. My parents mower blew a hole in the side of the block last fall and the replacement engine is still on back-order. I told them I could bring the horse over and she'd take care of the yard. Their response was similar to yours, "that it wouldn't look nice". 

• Like 1

Anyone know when lawn mowing became a thing? Honest question. I mean, what did "yards" look like in 1850?