Think the balls in my court????

756puller

One guy did that here, started with the ag jaun deere then moved to construction dealer, then joined the union. He had built a new shop at his house at some point in time and was doing work on the side. His dad retired from farming and he has taken over the farm and works out of his shop and a service truck that he bought before he took over the farm.

He charges $90 an hour and is worth every penny!! He’s $30 cheaper than the dealer and knows more than their techs

• Like 1

756, your boss sounds a lot like my old boss before he sold out to Titan. He was caught in a "Catch 22" situation of where he was going to have to spend a lot of $$$ to stay in the business, $$$ that he thought he would never be able to recoup in his lifetime. In my old boss' situation, he had 4 daughters....none of them wanted anything to do with the dealership(not really sure he would have even allowed them to take over the business if they so desired).

During the last few years working for my old boss, I was honestly looking to move out of the service department. There was just NO WAY I was going to be able to work with all this heavy machinery with the crude equipment we used to do it with in the future. Working with forklifts, A-frames, and cherry pickers still meant a LOT of heavy lifting/manual labor over the course of days/months/years. All that stuff adds up on a guy.

Once my current employer took over, they made a very conscious effort to provide us with equipment that could do the heavy lifting so us techs didn't have to do it anymore. We have 2 overhead cranes in our shop that cost somewhere around $200K apiece, and they get used constantly. Now, I go home much less tired than I used to 15 years ago. One of the first guys I worked with in a shop setting saw me straining my milk trying to muscle some piece off of a tractor around with no help. He grabbed me by the short hairs and said something to the effect of "there are 2 kinds of people in this business.....those that work HARD, and those that work SMART; which one do YOU want to be?". He got his point across right away, and I have followed his advice ever since. 

As far as pay, all I'll say is my pay is above New Englander's suggestions for what diesel techs make around here. And I've NEVER had to ask for a raise with my current employer. FWIW, we probably have a month's worth of work sitting outside our shop right now, so our customers seem to realize the value of our dealership's work.

In the end, you have to do what is best for your situation. 

Everybody in my neck of the woods doesn't like titan to much, there's about 6 case IH stores withing about fifty miles of me so people can just head on down whatever road suits them. As far as having work beating down the door it's been perty desolate the last 5 summers around here. Wintertime it picks up but we have lost about 4 combines this year for service work. So it's hard to know for sure.

11 hours ago, 756puller said:

That's the case every where, had a cat guy apply here a while back probably ten years experience and they offered him starting out $20 an hour

How can a man feed his family on 20 bucks/hour.

Gave up wrenching years ago and never looked back.

Start looking find someone that will pay you what your worth!!

Talked to the new manager that we had start this week, mentioned being overworked and extra compensation being how I'm one of the main guys now and he was going to discuss it with the owner.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:28 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

My son is making that or near that as nite shift team lead at walmart. Granted it's like trying herd cats most of the time but still. Wife was making 20 as a receptionist at a dental office. It took her 15 or 20 years to get to that level but still. Point is as you know 20 an hour ain't what it used to be and with record inflation.....

Wendy’s is advertising $16 to start…🤯

Some places will pay thru the nose for help, biggest downfall where I work at is 50 hr week with no overtime pay. That's the killer right there for getting help. If I punch out for the day, get to my house and have somebody call me needing something done the shop rate goes to $180 an hour and I'm spose to get 60 of that. Sounds like a great idea but been that way for two years and I haven't gotten an extra pay yet.

• Confused 1

It would never happen, but since you are now going to have to take on at least part of the work of the man who quit, YOU should be getting at least 1/2, if not more, of what he was being paid, in addition to what you are now making.

^ I would be careful with that line of thought. if your boss agrees he may think you don't need the extra help  once he thinks he is paying you for 1 1/2 or 2 guys.    You can only do so much and then its stress

I packed it in in the 80s when none of the dealers paid enough.  Find the local rate and plead your case your are a long-term, reliable, knowledgeable and that you are worth the industry standard,. If he don't agree move on $35 per hour should be minimum IMHO

I'm playing my cards carefully, I'm only 7 miles from my main job and my weekend job is about 40 miles away. I stay at my parents on the weekends since they are about 15 miles away

3 hours ago, 756puller said:

Some places will pay thru the nose for help, biggest downfall where I work at is 50 hr week with no overtime pay. That's the killer right there for getting help. If I punch out for the day, get to my house and have somebody call me needing something done the shop rate goes to $180 an hour and I'm spose to get 60 of that. Sounds like a great idea but been that way for two years and I haven't gotten an extra pay yet.

Its been that way 2 years? I think I would want the back pay settled first. You negotiate a new deal all that o.t. pay will be forgotten and you will have done all that work for free.

There's no back pay or settling on the any overtime issue. Im classified by my employer as seasonal agricultural employee. Don't ask me how they get by with it but I hear the owner has got really good lawyers.

Just reading through this thread, it appears that you are already fed up with working for your current employer. More money might fix the situation for the short term but the frustration will work its way back in. 

In all my years of working, I've never asked for more compensation. Are there times that I should have, probably. My thinking was that when my employer gave a raise it was to match my performance. If I went asking for a raise, I would have to also raise my performance. I also feel that I have been really good at finding decent people to work over the years.

I had a conversation with our local vet a month ago, she recently quit the clinic she was working at and went out on her own. She said the reason most small businesses can't keep help is because anybody who has any kind of skill or ambition realizes that they can just start their own small business doing what ever and not make money for somebody else while collecting a meager wage. I guess what I'm getting at is you sound like a competent technician with a good local reputation, it might be time to put serious thought about going out on your own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Binderoid said:

Its been that way 2 years? I think I would want the back pay settled first. You negotiate a new deal all that o.t. pay will be forgotten and you will have done all that work for free.

2 hours ago, 756puller said:

There's no back pay or settling on the any overtime issue. Im classified by my employer as seasonal agricultural employee. Don't ask me how they get by with it but I hear the owner has got really good lawyers.

So you did do all that work for free. Next time they call after hours, just say  “sorry, call the next guy”. But don’t try this unless you have a foot planted on another ship, he might be sh!tty and fire you for refusing slave labor.  I don’t want to see you lose your job but at the same time you are actually taking a pay cut if you add in all the hours of charity work to your straight time, then divide your paycheck by all these hours. 
   Your work is hard dirty and dangerous and nobody wants to do it. Your employer is an idiot if he lets you go with 15 years under your belt, especially after stiffing  you on the road calls. If he was willing to do that then I don’t see him making any honorable deal in the future. His word’s no good for one thing. 
  Just do the best you can with what you have for now, but keep your eyes open to jump ship whenever possible, or start your own thing. 
   Just throwing it out there, but lawnmower shop rate is around $70 + /hour ... you can put ALL that in your pocket. And doesn’t require hardly any overhead. Easier to hide money, too, for most of it is cash sales.

• Like 1

I don’t know where you work, but this sounds pretty strange to me. The dealer shops around here are packed 365 days a year. If we have a five alarm fire here, I can expect a dealer tech in two days at best. That is just because of how busy they are. The trucks are out until 7:00 or 8:00 at night on a regular basis around here during peak seasons. They charge extra, but people will gladly pay it just to get them to show up. If I have an emergency and the dealer told me I’ll be there, but it’s going to be $180/hr, I wouldn’t even have to think about it. Come on down. 

We have lost about 1/3 of total service work from guys either retiring or going to another dealership to get service. Alot of times if something shows up to be worked on we were usually able to start on it relatively quick. Lot of problems came from the general manager who was just on cruize mode to retirement the last 5 years.

33 minutes ago, 756puller said:

I never did get a call to go out after hours to get the $60 an hour.

I seemed to have screwed up the entire subject and gave your boss an undeserved chopping in the process... my apologies 

20 minutes ago, 756puller said:

We have lost about 1/3 of total service work from guys either retiring or going to another dealership to get service. Alot of times if something shows up to be worked on we were usually able to start on it relatively quick. Lot of problems came from the general manager who was just on cruize mode to retirement the last 5 years.

It sounds like this place is on pace to either close up or be bought out.