IH 1300 Mower ????

Mark (EC,IN)

I was mowing some roadside banks today and I noticed the mower wasn't wanting to start a couple times (sickle wouldnt take off).....seemned if I laid the bar on the ground it started better.

Anyway,  once I got it going it seemed to work fine,  I just figured the belt was a little loose and that I'd tighten it when I got back to the shop.

When I got done and was going to fold the bar over I noticed the big head deal on the back of the wobble box was actually smoking,  I spit on it and it sizzled (it was hot).  

Also the belt didn't seem loose.

Wondering where to start looking.

Agreed with mmi. Rowse is great to deal with for those wobble drives. They bought out the patents from IH & are still making them to this day.

I almost wonder if the bearing on the pulley shaft on the wobble box is shot? There's a grease fitting between the pulley & case that often gets neglected. It's easily hidden if there's some grass wrapped around it &/or some grease.

Mike

• Like 1

Rouse as far as I know makes all the wobble boxes for all the manufacturers of this type mower.  I had my head overhauled by them several years ago and was very reasonable.  Eric in service said the heads require a lot of very fine settings requiring a dial indicator to be used  lot.  At that time he told me the crankshaft if it needed to be replaced was $1000.  So any bearing damage can be costly with that unit.