Bobcat repower

augercreek

Have any of you repowered a 642B Bobcat with a Kohler engine? I has no fuel pump and is very hard starting most of the time so I'm wondering if it needs a pump or should I put a separate fuel tank higher than the engine on it?

Does it have an in-line fuel filter hidden from view that you may not be aware of? If it does, and you’ve never changed it, you might also consider that? ….just a friendly suggestion from someone who is a “Jack of many trades and master of none”. Lol… 

(also, obviously, don’t forget to check for a dirty / clogged air filter.) 

I’ve been fooled before with air filters that have needed replacing, on smaller engines on my outdoor power equipment. I start having starting problems or runability problems, and start cussing the thing upside down wondering what’s the h_ll’s the matter with this thing, and come to check the air filter and get shocked how quickly dirty they get, thinking dang I thought I just replaced that thing. Put a new air filter in, and then it’s off to the races again. 

• Like 1

This is a brand new engine that I installed last September. It does have a filter in the line and is visable . Right from the git go it was hard to start.

All righty Auger’, thanks for your reply. ….we watch now  for more responses. Good luck. 😊

Add an Electric lift pump? The caterpillar Skidsteers we have a work all have them .  They are newer with HPCR.  They will run but poorly when that pump fails.  On a bobcat of that age if it had a kubota it would have had a mechanical lift pump.  I’m not sure what they used on the deutz.  

• Like 3

642b was Mitsubishi gas. Unless I'm mistaken tank is behind seat and above engine. Fuel tap at bottom right corner of tank. Does full tank make any difference. If gravity is enough to make it run alright I fail to see how it could be a starting issue. Carb should be full from sitting when starting to crank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augercreek said:

This is a brand new engine that I installed last September. It does have a filter in the line and is visable . Right from the git go it was hard to start.

New engines should be easy starters and you shouldn't settle for less.

FACET has numerous models and pressures in 12 vdc pumps, they probably have a model that meets the requirements of your engine. Pegasus auto racing may have one in stock, they are located in Wis, and a good place to do business. I got the correct  electric pump for a Honda genset from them!

I don't know if it helps but from what i've seen in the past on older skid steers the older the machine gets the more problems the tank will give whether fuel restrictions or leaks, I know a guy right now has a 743? and has boat tank strapped to the cab because he's had so many problems with the tanks, he added a in line aftermarket pump you can get at a auto parts house it helped but kept burning pumps up from junk in the tank, he told me he'd have to pull the engine to get the tank out so its the boat tank on the cab for now. Another thing comes to mind, I don't know about the new kohlers but the kaws are very cold natured and takes a minute even after choking what feels the life outta of one for it to get moving

The 14 hp Kohler engine on my sawmill is easy starting, year old currently 

A fellow next door said to get a primer bulb like that used on older fuel tanks used on boat motors like 88 mentioned . I just ordered one off Amazon just now. The engine is a 37 horse Kohler from Re Power corp. It had a Mitsubishi in it originally but caught fire last year and melted all the plastics and aluminum stuff. Boy that was scarry as the gas tank is right there!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 88power said:

I don't know if it helps but from what i've seen in the past on older skid steers the older the machine gets the more problems the tank will give whether fuel restrictions or leaks, I know a guy right now has a 743? and has boat tank strapped to the cab because he's had so many problems with the tanks, he added a in line aftermarket pump you can get at a auto parts house it helped but kept burning pumps up from junk in the tank, he told me he'd have to pull the engine to get the tank out so its the boat tank on the cab for now. Another thing comes to mind, I don't know about the new kohlers but the kaws are very cold natured and takes a minute even after choking what feels the life outta of one for it to get moving

On your friends 743. Two half inch nuts let the cab tip up. Unhook fuel gauge if equipped (most don't have them). Unhook fuel lines. Unbolt retaining straps and lift tank out. Just FYI

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I I passed the mechanical fuel pump in my Kholer powered Ariens tractors. Electric in-line with adjustable pressure reducer set to 2 psi. World of difference in starting. I highly recommend it. 

• Like 2

Still waiting on the primer bulb. Mail delivery here lately is dependent on the mail man if sick there are no replacements! The engine does have a fuel pump mounted on the valve cover I assume it's vacuum operated ?

2 hours ago, augercreek said:

Still waiting on the primer bulb. Mail delivery here lately is dependent on the mail man if sick there are no replacements! The engine does have a fuel pump mounted on the valve cover I assume it's vacuum operated ?

What series ? The magnum series are cam driven mechanical. My Kholer experience is limited to those. 

Here is an update. I put a primer bulb on it and that worked great. Started right up went about 20' and died, squeezed the bulb again till hard started right up again and off we went about 20' and died! Choked the living daylights out of it, sputtered a bit ran and died! I thought it had enough gas but maybe not so I put another can in and all was well for a while and died again! Gauge says a 1/4 tank left but will not run unless more gas added. As one of you mentioned before furl level is too far below fuel pump so today, I'll add a aux. tank above the engine level and see if that helps.

7 minutes ago, augercreek said:

Here is an update. I put a primer bulb on it and that worked great. Started right up went about 20' and died, squeezed the bulb again till hard started right up again and off we went about 20' and died! Choked the living daylights out of it, sputtered a bit ran and died! I thought it had enough gas but maybe not so I put another can in and all was well for a while and died again! Gauge says a 1/4 tank left but will not run unless more gas added. As one of you mentioned before furl level is too far below fuel pump so today, I'll add a aux. tank above the engine level and see if that helps.

try an in-line electric pump, it really isn’t very expensive and makes all the difference. Replacement parts ain't what they used to be as far as original equipment. No need to bang your head.

Facet electric pump....part number 40177.  Perfect for small engines and helps starting.   I use them on all my cub Cadets with Kohler twins.  1-2 psi, 7 gph, anti drain back valve (won't fill crankcase).

Not as cheap as some designed for larger engines, but Perfect pump for this application. 

157996084_Screenshot_20220701-121056_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.c34194bac363981b3fc2240c080d0f9d.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Facet electric pump....part number 40177.  Perfect for small engines and helps starting.   I use them on all my cub Cadets with Kohler twins.  1-2 psi, 7 gph, anti drain back valve (won't fill crankcase).

Not as cheap as some designed for larger engines, but Perfect pump for this application. 

157996084_Screenshot_20220701-121056_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.c34194bac363981b3fc2240c080d0f9d.jpg

That looks identical to the ones on our caterpillar skidsteers.  

They make them in a bunch of different sizes and pressures.   Trick is to get the low pressure one for the small engine carbs with little floats and needles.

Facet makes good pumps!

You have to be careful when mounting the little Facet pump, in a high lift application the input is supposed to be lower than the output.

We have a facet 40178 original equipment on our Honda EV4010 genset. It is mounted at about an output up angle of ~20 degrees with the fuel tank about 3' lower than the carb. I did not tear apart the old one BUT I think they use a gravity check valve.

In doing research I discovered that FACET is the spin-off of the BENDIX company dating back to 1930 or so.

Takes some priming if the fuel runs out, so my rule is treat it like a diesel and never run out of fuel. Very good starts in all the weather for the past 2 seasons, BUT coldest was about 0F.

Good luck with your project.

They do have definite orientation specifications in the install instructions. But they aren't too difficult to comply with.

One I just installed on an 18hp Kohler Mag twin in a Cub Cadet 

20220514_164230.jpg