782 cub cadet

Purchased 782 cub cadet for my son, I grew up on a 582,682 and 982 wanted him to experience it for himself….got it home, changed fuel, fuel filter, cleaned carb, air filter, put c foam in it, changes condenser after it runs for 30 min or gets warm starts sputtering and loses power….I can let it sit for a min it will start back up but be right back to sputtering. Let it sit for ten min and it will run for a few…. Didn’t want to spend the 300.00 for the coil bought a 35 dollar one on Amazon, worked great for one hour but right back to the sputtering….wondering if spending the 300.00 will solve the problem…

any suggestion greatly appreciated…

IH fan 

Edited by FarmallFan
Improved topic title

• FarmallFan changed the title to 782 cub cadet
2 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Check valve clearance. 

My bet is on snowshoe!    Had this happen to me.   Lost a lot of hair over it.   Valve clearance is tight, it warms up and expands and gets tighter and valves don’t seal and causes a miss or stumble.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also check for correct heat range on the spark plugs.

Too hot a plug will detonate the intake charge, causing sputtering, backfiring and such.

engine will run fine until a good load it thrown upon it.

Fuel flow to carb.....plugged tank vent, tank screen, fuel filter, etc.

Does pulling out the choke help keep it from dieing?  Do you hear a hiss if you open the fuel cap?