Cost of putting up pole barn walls

jimw

I bought the stuff to put up walls for a 40x64 pole barn with a door on the end at 22ft wide . My neighbor is looking at giving me a bid to put this part up. I will worry about the roof this fall.  Kinda backwards but it’s the way we’re doing it . Just curious what you guys think is a fair price?  In my own mind I think it would take 3 guys 3 to 4 ten hour days. At roughly 50 to 60 dollars per hour for each guy. Is this way off ? Just curious ?

Does he do this kind of work or is a carpenter or Amish?

Are you going to tie the walls together somehow? Trusses kinda hold it together. With the wind we have had around here lately I would not attempt at building it backwards. 
As far as labor cost goes, a general rule use to be around what materials cost but who knows now. It all depends on their skill set and equipment.
I built my pole barn in 1997, 40x64. I need another one!

• Like 1

I put an addition on two years ago before the  big price increase that same size with a 14 foot high by 22 door and one  10 foot door.  It was around ? 36.000.00 if i remember right.

That was only three sides because it was just an extension of an existing building.

As guy who builds barns on occasion I would not touch that job with a borrowed 30foot pole.

• Haha 1

Not sure what region your in with weather but my buddy has done quite a few big buildings and the most stressful part is once the walls are up sitting vulnerable until the roof ties it together, that's not a huge size but still big enough and seems windier all the time

I built a smaller pole barn than 40x64, I put all poles and walls up (no  steel) before the trusses. Walls were up a couple months before the trusses went on. I was in sheltered area.  I didn't put steel on the walls until the roof was done. 

• Like 1

If you are talking about tin walls I wouldn't think it would cost lots of labor time . I would think two guys less than two days unless there's lots of windows etc to trim around

15 hours ago, jimw said:

I bought the stuff to put up walls for a 40x64 pole barn with a door on the end at 22ft wide . My neighbor is looking at giving me a bid to put this part up. I will worry about the roof this fall.  Kinda backwards but it’s the way we’re doing it . Just curious what you guys think is a fair price?  In my own mind I think it would take 3 guys 3 to 4 ten hour days. At roughly 50 to 60 dollars per hour for each guy. Is this way off ? Just curious ?

Uncle just had a 50 x100 pole barn with roof only 3 Amish built whole thing in 3 days he did dig holes with tractor and set trusses up there for them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stronger800 said:

That seems pretty amazing, or impossible  right there 

No walls, roof only.  A couple or 3 more men would get the sides on as well unless extras like insulation, many windows, etc

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stronger800 said:

That seems pretty amazing, or impossible  right there 

They where brothers have worked together for years they knew what to do without be told they where a well oiled machine 

On 6/18/2022 at 1:33 AM, jimw said:

so im curious jim, why would you put walls up and try to get them to stand alone before putting the trusses sitting on the walls - you are leaving things very vulnerable to shifting, collapse, damage, and overall stress and likely more labor will be incurred when you get ready to add the trusses. 

Is this a situation of $$ for truss costs or something else? 

just trying to wrap my head around it and understand the reasoning - i have made costly mistakes before and hate to see others do the same especially for those of us with limited funds. 

Are you replacing the metal on an existing building or building a new one? 
We just replaced the roof and front wall metal on a 72’ X 48’ and it was around 4K in labor. That included the rent for his man lift. 

A81EBBA5-9EF0-4B81-8E52-527497B4725F.jpeg

F31C5EE9-5C7F-4567-9E74-67439BA3F23E.jpeg

Yes . Just a situation of spreading Costs  out. I’m pretty cheap and hate to part with to much at one time. Not that money grows on trees at my place.  I bought half the material that I was gonna put up and then get someone to do the roof.  But it has been a busy Spring and I’m ready to just get it up. It will be in a protected area so not to worried about the weather.