Cast Iron Cookware

vtfireman85

We have and use the old cast iron. Griswold is our favorite. I think the older close grained cast is better. The newer stuff is a lot heavier-iron perhaps not quite as good so they have to use more of it. Beware the coated non stick stuff. PFA's in it. Maine is discovering a lot of contaminated ground do to the spreading of sewage sludge which contains PFA PFO on farmland. Another gift from the city people. Also used in fire fighting foam for aircraft, rugs, non stick coatings the list goes on unfortunately. Another thing our government apparently didn't test for when they approved spreading sludge on farmland.

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

my wife won't touch them, "too heavy"

That might be a real good thing if you ever make her mad. 

18 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

That might be a real good thing if you ever make her mad. 

I find women are absolute, with some exceptions 

• Haha 1

One other thing about lodge is they have a lot of recipes on there website. I haven’t tried too many of them but there are a lot. Their steak Mac and cheese is great! They say to use an enameled oven for that but I’ve done ok with a plain cast iron one, it just takes a little more elbow grease to clean up. 

Use cast iron exclusively. Bought all of mine new, (lodge). I have quit 'seasoning' altogether and now wash in Dawn dish soap with the rest of the dishes. Have seen no increase in sticking since adopting this.

Years ago I thought about polishing, never got it done. Years of use and they are very smooth. The 10 and 12 inch sizes get used all the time. Have an 8" that gets used once in awhile, it's much rougher but works good. Also have a 15" that never comes out, just to big, would work good on a fire I suppose.

18 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

One other thing about lodge is they have a lot of recipes on there website. I haven’t tried too many of them but there are a lot. Their steak Mac and cheese is great! They say to use an enameled oven for that but I’ve done ok with a plain cast iron one, it just takes a little more elbow grease to clean up. 

I bought mom a Dutch oven with legs for use with wood or charcoal. Works awesome when camping. Got the Lodge cookbook to go with, which gives detailed instructions in using charcoal briquettes. 

39 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I use Epson Salt tot clean mine when it needs it.  Sprinkle in damp pan and scrub.  Rinse out.  No soap.

Do you soak your feet in there as well? Waste not want not😁

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Do you soak your feet in there as well? Waste not want not😁

Just make sure you get the order correct..... Nothing against your feet @Rawleigh99 😊

• Haha 2

I use Lodge cast iron frying pans  for  anything fried on the stove top.  The cast iron cook pot is used for anything that does not contain acids. 

Stainless Steel is used for things like Spaghetti sauce.

Aluminum and painted utensils are not used in my kitchen if there is any other alternative.

Cast iron is easily cleaned by heating to 500F, to burn off the old stuff, let it cool, scrub it down, coat with olive oil, and reheat to 400F and let it cool, wipe it dry with a cotton towel.  If there is rust, from the last camping trip and improperly stored,  or the cook left it in the sink, run it through the 500F cleaning cycle.

Vt, i did notice the old stove but was really talking about the cabin. 

1 hour ago, Twolines said:

Vt, i did notice the old stove but was really talking about the cabin. 

It’s pretty cool, a 70’s abortion though, its a 40x40 modified saltbox with a clear story, so essentially 2 shed roofs. Wouldn’t have been the roof line i chose to build. We bought from my inlaws who planned to move to GA nearly full time. Hasn’t quite worked out that way, but they do spend about half the year there. We are slowly opening up the main floor, when it was built I think he had spent too much time in hotels, center hallway  with little rooms off of it, not very cozy. We have a nice view and are working towards making the most of it. He has good ideas sometimes but needs bigger squares on his graph paper. 

• Like 1

I do like weird buildings but i hear ya..our cabin was built in the late 60s and wasnt very well thought out. It is what folks call moron built...as in build more-on every year...lol. its 30x30 with a 10ft addition built on each end. Where the addition roofs tie into the existing roof there are plenty of leaks. The log joinery was chainsawed which drives me nuts but somehow doesnt leak. To boot there is a 30x30 basement underneath us. There are two hand pounded wells on the property too...our water table is only about 35ft.

At some point we will tear both the shop and the cabin down and build new. I will be dove tailing 10x10s for both buildings...but may just end up with a steel building for the shop.20220601_182249.thumb.jpg.5fa52b9dee8725bce6282bf2c945d529.jpg

• Like 1

Just noticed there is a little dog poopin in the middle of the pic....i apologize for his lack of discretion.

• Haha 4

I have both some stainless All-Clad pans and several cast iron pans.  I would not give up either metal since they both have their place.  I will use the All-Clad for something like making something tomato-based or sausage gravy.  (I just have a hard time combining hot milk with cast iron...but that's me.)  That being said, I tend to use cast iron more frequently than stainless.  

My cast iron pans include a Lodge, a Griswold, and a Staub (think Le Creuset but with charcoal-colored enamel).  The Lodge is good when I want something really heavy to hold the heat...or for when I anticipate getting a bit more reckless on the stovetop.  The Lodge is an animal and I show it little mercy.  The Griswold is nice and light.  I like the smooth, "tight" grain of the Griswold iron but it will tend to burn items much faster than the others.  Now, I saved the best for last...Staub. https://www.zwilling.com/us/staub/  It would be the last cast iron pan I would part with.  It is just so good.  The enamel coating is easier to cook with and easy to clean.  I just rinse it with water and a perhaps a little gentle scrubbing with a ScotchBrite sponge on the stubborn spots.

Cleaning for me is mostly a quick wipe with a paper towel and light oil to season.  I may use a quick bath under a warm water tap and a sponge if clean up is more difficult.  I always immediately towel dry them.  I never use soap on the raw cast iron models and sometimes use salt like others mentioned.  I will frequently use oleman's seasoning method on the Lodge and Griswold to keep them in prime condition.  The Staub's enamel is more forgiving so I will use a few drops of soap on the ScotchBrite sponge if there are some really difficult spots, but that is rare.

By the way, Staub has some Dutch ovens and cocottes that are awesome.  The lid has little nubs on the underside that collect steam and will self-baste a meat during cooking.  I have had phenominal success with it.  A friend of mine has both Le Creuset and Staub cookware and also tends to prefer the Staub like I do.

14 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

I have both some stainless All-Clad pans and several cast iron pans.  I would not give up either metal since they both have their place.  I will use the All-Clad for something like making something tomato-based or sausage gravy.  (I just have a hard time combining hot milk with cast iron...but that's me.)  That being said, I tend to use cast iron more frequently than stainless.  

My cast iron pans include a Lodge, a Griswold, and a Staub (think Le Creuset but with charcoal-colored enamel).  The Lodge is good when I want something really heavy to hold the heat...or for when I anticipate getting a bit more reckless on the stovetop.  The Lodge is an animal and I show it little mercy.  The Griswold is nice and light.  I like the smooth, "tight" grain of the Griswold iron but it will tend to burn items much faster than the others.  Now, I saved the best for last...Staub. https://www.zwilling.com/us/staub/  It would be the last cast iron pan I would part with.  It is just so good.  The enamel coating is easier to cook with and easy to clean.  I just rinse it with water and a perhaps a little gentle scrubbing with a ScotchBrite sponge on the stubborn spots.

Cleaning for me is mostly a quick wipe with a paper towel and light oil to season.  I may use a quick bath under a warm water tap and a sponge if clean up is more difficult.  I always immediately towel dry them.  I never use soap on the raw cast iron models and sometimes use salt like others mentioned.  I will frequently use oleman's seasoning method on the Lodge and Griswold to keep them in prime condition.  The Staub's enamel is more forgiving so I will use a few drops of soap on the ScotchBrite sponge if there are some really difficult spots, but that is rare.

By the way, Staub has some Dutch ovens and cocottes that are awesome.  The lid has little nubs on the underside that collect steam and will self-baste a meat during cooking.  I have had phenominal success with it.  A friend of mine has both Le Creuset and Staub cookware and also tends to prefer the Staub like I do.

We have a couple staub casserole dishes , and I got my folks a staub Dutch oven with the basting spikes like you mentioned. It is definitely top notch stuff. My 2 Le Cruiset frying pans a black rough enamel, i haven’t experienced superior performance in anti stick to my bare cast, in fact my wife is the only one who will use it. Usually i have to clean dust before use. I would like to try a staub, based on your recommendation, but the cost is off putting considering how many i have similar. 

I like to do pies in the 10” cast pans, but the Mrs always complains the crust tastes like last nights dinner. I may get one or 2 to dedicate just to that. A handle on a pie plate is also a nice touch 

Is this the Lodge that you guys are talking about or do I have some sort of Amazon knock off brand?   I am fairly certain this is the first time I’ve ever touched this pan, and I didn’t know there was a name on the bottom of it. There is a set of them here somewhere, my wife does not like to handle them, Other than I know there is large  one here someplace that she fries chicken in once in a great while.  I don’t handle them, use them or clean them…so my knowledge is minimal. I am fairly certain they have never been seasoned and they get washed with Dawn dish soap.  
I know how to use our air fryer though B51F3C77-57BA-48DB-98FA-87C04B9459FE.thumb.jpeg.9af43bb31f6fa3c91c55c3e66ab08161.jpeg

6 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Is this the Lodge that you guys are talking about or do I have some sort of Amazon knock off brand?   I am fairly certain this is the first time I’ve ever touched this pan, and I didn’t know there was a name on the bottom of it. There is a set of them here somewhere, my wife does not like to handle them, Other than I know there is large  one here someplace that she fries chicken in once in a great while.  I don’t handle them, use them or clean them…so my knowledge is minimal. I am fairly certain they have never been seasoned and they get washed with Dawn dish soap.  
I know how to use our air fryer though B51F3C77-57BA-48DB-98FA-87C04B9459FE.thumb.jpeg.9af43bb31f6fa3c91c55c3e66ab08161.jpeg

That is American made Lodge. Of the newly made cast iron, I think it is as good as you can buy. 

5 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Personally I don’t like Lodge unless you find one that’s a hundred year old. The new Lodge pans are porous and heavy. Tend to stick. Useless. Flea-markets especially big ones are a great place to find really nice Griswold. I have used several brands but have sold everything except my Griswolds. I have a full set of skillets from #0-#13, Seal-Tite Dutch Ovens, Corn Bread cookware, kettles, griddles, square pans, griddles, ashtrays, and other assorted goodies. Yup, kinda went nutz with it…..We use it for everything!! Griswold is very smooth, close grained cast that performs best at lower temps. I season with Lard. Don’t cook with it though. 

I think this was one of the first videos that introduced me to cast iron. I still watch his videos every week. Sometimes he does 2 per week. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 8:56 AM, Twolines said:

Just noticed there is a little dog poopin in the middle of the pic....i apologize for his lack of discretion.

During a performance of Aida an elephant committed a grave social indiscretion on stage.  As Sir Thomas Beecham (the conductor) observed during the clean up - "A distressing spectacle ladies and gentlemen.  But, Gad, what a critic"

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

That is American made Lodge. Of the newly made cast iron, I think it is as good as you can buy. 

I haven’t actually bought one(yet), but I think you can do better quality. You ABSOLUTELY pay for it. 
made in Oregon or Washington or something 

https://finexusa.com/product/cast-iron-skillet/?gclid=CjwKCAjw77WVBhBuEiwAJ-YoJOhVdrGW_p3TFhgTU8bcAcD_sMrsOvVkIV-tP21NOfvL9a5Kn8QCdRoCbr8QAvD_BwE

8372E9DB-6582-4BDE-B9CE-AFFB354F2C94.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I haven’t actually bought one(yet), but I think you can do better quality. You ABSOLUTELY pay for it. 
made in Oregon or Washington or something 

https://finexusa.com/product/cast-iron-skillet/?gclid=CjwKCAjw77WVBhBuEiwAJ-YoJOhVdrGW_p3TFhgTU8bcAcD_sMrsOvVkIV-tP21NOfvL9a5Kn8QCdRoCbr8QAvD_BwE

8372E9DB-6582-4BDE-B9CE-AFFB354F2C94.png

so thats where my old chipping hammer and top loader handles went - i knew i didnt misplace them

• Haha 1