AngrySailor’s random machining, motors, fix it or (explitive) it thread

9 hours ago, AngrySailor said:

3.73, open diff. She’s just a driver. Three on the tree still. 

My Chevy has 3.336,  slip and slide 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I wouldn't mind taking a rip in the boat, looks like it might scoot pretty good!

She runs just a little over 60mph with that 140 Johnson. I’ve got two 150hp V6 Evinrude’s that could be put together to make one decent motor, they can be upped to the 175hp porting pretty easy and carb swapped makes them same as the 175 factory. I’ve also picked up a 150hp mercury “tower of power” the old inline 6 model. They’re classic on those boats, probably won’t perform like the V6 Evinrude but look way cooler. 

Putting the T-10 back together today, Trever putting some finishing touches on the Tailift, that should be delivered next couple days. 

DE4847EC-C880-4FEB-B4A0-DD1F6AB6DBDA.jpeg

85E6D0F8-AA55-401C-B968-DB9D34FE1746.jpeg

F7395D6F-7AEC-44BE-ABBF-9E25BCE1118F.jpeg

8DBB2340-0495-4C86-9446-DADC9A8A3074.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

My Chevy has 3.336,  slip and slide 

Do they have a three speed with over drive ? Seems to me they made them for trucks 

On 10/15/2023 at 3:06 PM, Alan Dinan said:

Thought this would suit you, Sailor!!

B35FD46C-F49E-4D84-921E-CDDC0632AFF6.jpeg

Nah ! The money you forget ,the memories ,never! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

Do they have a three speed with over drive ? Seems to me they made them for trucks 

Yes, I don’t remember the model number but they exist. Pretty sure a friend has one in his part collection. They don’t take any abuse though so best he doesn’t let me get at it! 

53 minutes ago, AngrySailor said:

Yes, I don’t remember the model number but they exist. Pretty sure a friend has one in his part collection. They don’t take any abuse though so best he doesn’t let me get at it! 

Totally agree ! Don’t touch it !

• Haha 2

On 10/22/2023 at 12:56 AM, hardtail said:

Any shovel or CR500 action this summer?

I just came across the top end gaskets for the shovel, aaand they sent me 883 top end kit, sending that back and will tackle that job when I get back from sailing in January, I’m leaving early November for three weeks. I’ll see how things look and hopefully it’s just those cheap James head gaskets that failed. I’m putting MLS gaskets in. If everything looks good, no detonation maybe I’ll push it up closer to 10:1.  The CR500 is in Ontario rn, think he may have a friend looking at it, it needs a crankshaft. Now that dads building is coming asking we’ll have some extra room to spread stuff out a bit and we need to get going on his 1928 McCormick 10-20 soon too. Tons of stuff to work at...

• Like 3

On 10/21/2023 at 4:03 PM, AngrySailor said:

She runs just a little over 60mph with that 140 Johnson. I’ve got two 150hp V6 Evinrude’s that could be put together to make one decent motor, they can be upped to the 175hp porting pretty easy and carb swapped makes them same as the 175 factory. I’ve also picked up a 150hp mercury “tower of power” the old inline 6 model. They’re classic on those boats, probably won’t perform like the V6 Evinrude but look way cooler. 

Putting the T-10 back together today, Trever putting some finishing touches on the Tailift, that should be delivered next couple days. 

DE4847EC-C880-4FEB-B4A0-DD1F6AB6DBDA.jpeg

85E6D0F8-AA55-401C-B968-DB9D34FE1746.jpeg

F7395D6F-7AEC-44BE-ABBF-9E25BCE1118F.jpeg

8DBB2340-0495-4C86-9446-DADC9A8A3074.jpeg

Those  Merc 6s were cool looking for sure but there is nothing like saying my boats got a Big Johnson

• Haha 3

FAAAAAAARRRRRKKKKKK MEEEEE!!!!

Put the T-10 back together, seemed promising in third then noise in 4th. Said screw it and drove it for a bit easy to see if I can break it enough to see what the problem is. Noise got worse and the shifter rattles now, took a friend for a drive and he’s a tranny guy also, said he’s never heard anything like it. It’s related to engine RPM, not drive shaft speed. Has to be the input shaft or cluster gear. Didn’t see anything that should be making that harsh of a noise. Maybe now I’ll see it...

• Sad 3

I saw that the seaway was closed and wondered if you would be sailing out, doesn't look like that global supply issue going to be solved anytime soon

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AngrySailor said:

Tentatively about two weeks from now. Not sure what’s up though as the st. Lawrence seaway is on strike lol. What a s-show. 

Got everything buttoned up for winter?

I need to get back up to camp and blow out the water system yet 

5 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Got everything buttoned up for winter?

I need to get back up to camp and blow out the water system yet 

Got water in the truck still and the Detroitson coolant isn’t strong enough for winter, just going to drain it. Think everything else is empty or coolant is -40. 

5 hours ago, hardtail said:

I saw that the seaway was closed and wondered if you would be sailing out, doesn't look like that global supply issue going to be solved anytime soon

Yeah I’m surprised they let that go on as long as it did. Us officers almost had a strike a month ago, it was mostly over the length of the agreement, the company wanted to lock us in for 7 years, we said no and settled just be the deadline. 

Sent the forklift down the road, got its first service call half way to its new home lol. Started running rough and quit. Was just a little moisture in the distributor cap, probably evaporated a little moisture from down in the bottom as it’s the first time she’s been run a long time. Dried that out and she’s at her new home without anymore problems. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

We're they driving it home😳 i take it stayed on the island?

Yeah they didn’t have far to go. Maybe 15-20 minutes at forklift speed. Anyone with a tilt truck charges up to $150 to move one. That forklift weighed 9000lbs so not the average trailer will haul them. Heck the big Nissan weighs 15,000lbs, that bugger broke the tilt truck we used to unload it from the transport truck...  

Brought the next machine in. A nice little hyster S40. Small footprint but she’ll lift 3300lbs. Needs a starter overhaul, brakes are stuck from sitting. Pretty clean overall though, no oil leaks or drools from the engine/tranny. Pretty sure it’s sold also, it’s going for a test drive at a friends business anyways. Hopefully it stays there...

01E84879-7F6E-4D00-A351-3019C98DD765.jpeg

51AC127D-C2A6-4CEE-8DE0-16091CA02A2B.jpeg

• Like 3

I could sure use something like that cute little Hyster in my shop.  What’s a unit like that worth?

Josh Topper of Topper Machine on youtube has a really cute little lift that makes me chuckle every time it shows up on video.  Small enough he about has his knees hanging over his ears to fit on it.

On 10/31/2023 at 10:16 AM, Gearclash said:

I could sure use something like that cute little Hyster in my shop.  What’s a unit like that worth?

Josh Topper of Topper Machine on youtube has a really cute little lift that makes me chuckle every time it shows up on video.  Small enough he about has his knees hanging over his ears to fit on it.

Think she’s going for 10.5k maple syrups “friend price”. Was going to list it around 12.5k but probably trade off some work with the fella who’s interested. There almost 2k just in shipping each machine down east also. You could find one for less if you can do the repairs yourself also. It’s pretty small, 38” wide and just under 7’ long. Still weighs almost 8000lbs  

1 hour ago, AngrySailor said:

Think she’s going for 10.5k maple syrups “friend price”. Was going to list it around 12.5k but probably trade off some work with the fella who’s interested. There almost 2k just in shipping each machine down east also. You could find one for less if you can do the repairs yourself also. It’s pretty small, 38” wide and just under 7’ long. Still weighs almost 8000lbs  

Thanks!  I haven’t gotten around to shotgun marriages of 53 series Detroits and ancient tractors, but I think I can fix about any problem a forklift could have.  I looked hard at  stand up battery forklifts, but there are too many things I don’t like about them, handling and size being two things.  I figure I would be better off with  a propane sit on unit. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Thanks!  I haven’t gotten around to shotgun marriages of 53 series Detroits and ancient tractors, but I think I can fix about any problem a forklift could have.  I looked hard at  stand up battery forklifts, but there are too many things I don’t like about them, handling and size being two things.  I figure I would be better off with  a propane sit on unit. 

I wouldn’t want a stand up for the type of work I do with them. They’re almost for sadistic boss’ who want to force their wagie slaves to stand all day. “Oy vey we can’t have him sitting all day! I don’t care if he’s forklift certified!!!” 

708C983C-2C4C-45CF-A7E8-3402A7D16DC4.jpeg

• Haha 4