Jump to content

AngrySailor’s random machining, motors, fix it or (explitive) it thread


Recommended Posts

I thought they didn't hold you back gearing down, they coast only meant for full forward load which they do well but not desirable on the street

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Thought you had it made didn't you! LOL it's always the last one that gets you.

Yeah always the way isn’t it! I had suspected it wouldn’t simply be replacing bearings but got lucky it’s only one and it’s not a bad size to put in the mill. I’ve had much larger axles on there that required outside support stands so this won’t be too bad. 

 

21 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I was always impressed with how those Lenco trannys worked on the strip. Do they work well on the street?

It’s the st-1200 “street” model. Looking into these issues. I guess one guys definition of streetable is different than the nexts...

20 hours ago, hardtail said:

I thought they didn't hold you back gearing down, they coast only meant for full forward load which they do well but not desirable on the street

From what I gather the seller says it was too “violent” for his taste. Trying to clarify wherever it is down shiftable at all or if there is engine braking. It sounds like if you down shift it then rev it up it slams into that gear as there are overrunning clutches or sprags between each reduction stage. Engine braking would be nice but doesn’t sound like it. Debating on which way to go, I don’t think a super t-10 will survive after it’s tubbed and four linked though. The 496 will be going back in eventually also, possibly with an 8v71 blower so need a transmission that will hold that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Tremec has offerings that are rated over 700 ft/lbs and you have the overdrive for cruising 

They do but the ratios suck. 2.89:1 first gear or even higher then the t-56 has double overdrive and I don’t need or want that much overdrive. I’m going to convert the t-10 from 2.63:1 1st gear to 2.42:1 when I replace the cluster shaft, I’ll have to swap the input at that time but that’s the strongest ratio available and the truck is near useless in 1st even at 2.63:1, big blocks have the grunt to leave and don’t need 3:1 first, you’re shifting in 20 feet... the t-56 is also almost $7k maple syrups for a tranny with ratios I don’t want... not sure which way to go. Made a tentative deal for the Lenco 5k maple syrups and it has the right bell housing and input shaft, comes with the shifter too... really tempting just have to decide if it’s what I want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not alot of high torque manuals for cars out there

Richmond makes alot of high-po stuff for the Super T-10

They claim NASCAR durability but those teams refreash them for every race  

They have a 5 speed with a high 1st gear I think that used to be made by Doug Nash 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

Not alot of high torque manuals for cars out there

Richmond makes alot of high-po stuff for the Super T-10

They claim NASCAR durability but those teams refreash them for every race  

They have a 5 speed with a high 1st gear I think that used to be made by Doug Nash 

Yep, there’s a bunch out there, tremec TKX, and T56, don’t hear much of Doug Nash anymore, Jericho makes a dog coupled drag 4 spd but nobody seams to be using them. The T-10 and M-22/23 were the go to back in the day but I don’t think them or even the tremec would really like clutch drop launches with a heavy vehicle fourlinked and slicked with a big block in front of them for long. I’d hate to spend the money on a tremec which doesn’t have desirable ratios then exblode it... not sure what to do, going to call Lenco and find out from the horses mouth about engine braking and downshifting. Also the guy ordered this Lenco with the right bell housing pattern and input shaft, it will bolt right to my engine and clutch without touching a thing... making it harder to say no...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Talking about exploding a trany might get us in trouble with the internet cops 🤣

Best to talk to someone who knows the Lenco so direct would be good.

The road race crowd is still using the T-10 behind the V8 stuff 

 

 

Yep they’re a great tranny for that stuff but they tend to not like hard launches with big tires. I’ve not had much trouble with mine but never had a real solid hook of the line either. Busted it in 3rd once when I lost traction over a dip in the road and she hooked back up at full throttle. Busted teeth off the input shaft...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AngrySailor said:

Busted teeth off the input shaft...

Did a Nash Trash 360 4v V8 swap into a 258 powered CJ5

The 3 speed input shaft didn't last long 

That was back in the early 80's we had a lots of fun with the 5.0 Mustangs of the day 

The jeep had a better power to weight ratio than the 5.0 Mustang

And being a 3 speed one less shift so once in 2nd it was bye bye 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well fugggg pulled the trigger on the Lenco... spoke with Lenco and there is wngine braking in high range (direct drive), over running clutches in all reduction ratios. They said it drives like a loose torque converter and is down shiftable but if you let the wngine idle then whack the throttle it will lock up hard at the drive rpm, if you are aware of that and ease into the throttle after a downshift you can be smooth with it. Basically with my gearing I’ll have engine braking down to just below 50mph. I’m always in 1:1 after that so cruising will be pretty normal. I also have an hour drive before I even get to the first traffic light. Think I can work with this...

FE4641C0-C614-450F-8ACC-E7FBE9EE4922.png

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope it works out for the street, for sure it will be great on the go pedal, I recall a guy in the 80's would continually have his Muncie yanked out of his 69 Z28, not saying he was a great mechanic but that 302 sat idle most of the time and almost all of it tranny woes, high revving but torque must have been a fraction of what your going to put through it especially if you can get something to hook up

Forgot to comment on the custom cycle, what's up with that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, hardtail said:

Hope it works out for the street, for sure it will be great on the go pedal, I recall a guy in the 80's would continually have his Muncie yanked out of his 69 Z28, not saying he was a great mechanic but that 302 sat idle most of the time and almost all of it tranny woes, high revving but torque must have been a fraction of what your going to put through it especially if you can get something to hook up

Forgot to comment on the custom cycle, what's up with that?

I think it will work, definitely have to drive it how it wants to be driven though... my friend chewed up 3 munchies in his blown corvette, guess he ripped on the Richmond T-10 last night and it held up so far... 69 with a 302 was a cool car  knew a guy with a 69 RS/SS 302  would spin over 8k rpm no problem  

 

That bike is hilarious, it’s a local guy who runs a welding/fabrication shop. If I were him I might have spent a little more time on the welding though being the “shop bike” it’s aluminum mig and kinda messy... it’s made from a Can-Am 460?? Has parts he’s not using from his Harley. The kick starter spline is stripped and its here for that repair only. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

The latest crate Big Block from CPP 

 

Talked more about spark plug wires than anything actually important 😆  pretty sure the price tag is over $30k... you could build so much more or get a tranny or blower or or or and still end up less than that if you build from parts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2023 at 2:30 PM, jeeper61 said:

The latest crate Big Block from CPP 

 

Staying with my 283 2 barrel 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Staying with my 283 2 barrel 

Got a 283 in dads ‘68 c10. Two barrel, rams horn manifolds, dual exhaust. Drove it towing a full bed and ski boat 1200 miles from Ontario to PEI. ThT was a fun drive! 
 

Next forklift almost ready to go! Might have two more sold, that sure helps ease the Lenco situation!  We made a firm deal on that, I own ‘er. Probably have it shipped out next few months  maybe with more forklifts and side shifts I bought  

7FE58607-5EF4-43B4-B6A3-4A27B73EA543.jpeg

3967C206-28DE-48B7-A1D1-F1D713AF869B.jpeg

DBD7C10B-6B55-4E77-9EB6-2EE7DAE88320.jpeg

B9258C20-F7DF-49E1-8886-F14257582682.jpeg

53E98AC2-92BC-40AE-98FD-FFFBF56D216D.jpeg

ECD93371-8070-45AB-AF6D-8A195689A711.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, AngrySailor said:

Got a 283 in dads ‘68 c10. Two barrel, rams horn manifolds, dual exhaust. Drove it towing a full bed and ski boat 1200 miles from Ontario to PEI. ThT was a fun drive! 
 

Next forklift almost ready to go! Might have two more sold, that sure helps ease the Lenco situation!  We made a firm deal on that, I own ‘er. Probably have it shipped out next few months  maybe with more forklifts and side shifts I bought  

7FE58607-5EF4-43B4-B6A3-4A27B73EA543.jpeg

3967C206-28DE-48B7-A1D1-F1D713AF869B.jpeg

DBD7C10B-6B55-4E77-9EB6-2EE7DAE88320.jpeg

B9258C20-F7DF-49E1-8886-F14257582682.jpeg

53E98AC2-92BC-40AE-98FD-FFFBF56D216D.jpeg

ECD93371-8070-45AB-AF6D-8A195689A711.jpeg

That’s the ticket ! 
probably got high gear differential ? 
might even be positive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...