Jump to content

AngrySailor’s random machining, motors, fix it or (explitive) it thread


Recommended Posts

On 9/7/2023 at 12:21 AM, AngrySailor said:

Guys... I gotta get off this ship... just bought helmets for chickens. I don’t have chickens rn but they were on sale,  never know when you might need one...

 

 

04AD9976-7C12-4989-AD9C-D13865191EC5.jpeg

649C6241-4C92-4627-9B0D-03867263B81B.jpeg

10CD3054-A368-4F9F-A850-7EFAEE57F3BE.jpeg

86C1574E-EAC6-4017-B709-85789288375E.jpeg

Obviously **** fighting has had OHSA and PETA pay a visit

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2023 at 1:21 AM, AngrySailor said:

Guys... I gotta get off this ship... just bought helmets for chickens. I don’t have chickens rn but they were on sale,  never know when you might need one...

 

 

04AD9976-7C12-4989-AD9C-D13865191EC5.jpeg

649C6241-4C92-4627-9B0D-03867263B81B.jpeg

10CD3054-A368-4F9F-A850-7EFAEE57F3BE.jpeg

86C1574E-EAC6-4017-B709-85789288375E.jpeg

Will you be getting a short bus for your special chickens? Could probably drop that big block into one.

Mike

4858135520_4e8ff5cb2c_z.jpg

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 560Dennis said:

Tear it all apart , a

Was referring to the Harley motor , got mixed up on the pages ,to many pages got me confused. Oh well !

need and outine index 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Looks like there is a big blow headed your way 

Actually it just arrived... pops just sent me these pics. They just got home from their trip. Blower has some use and has been re-stripped once, couple nicks in the rotors which were there before the last rebuild. The outer strips will need to be machined for more radial clearance for gasoline use anyways. Way fancier unit that I thought, helical rotor, delta outlet.  This thing could push over 40psi with its eyes closed! Looks like I’ll have to make an adapter to reverse the hat so it sits forward facing in the boat as the engine is flywheel forward. No biggie. Still broke down in three rivers, got computer techs onboard now at least. 

B6B234C7-08B4-40DE-9603-7B258588BEC0.jpeg

F061342B-8473-4865-99A3-A37C9C69268D.jpeg

42833C22-0829-43E9-886B-6F8BC8B62FAB.jpeg

65FAE984-47D4-4D9A-9773-5683DA25E96C.jpeg

93E10BED-1ED9-4287-820D-6EC8ABD51A05.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, AngrySailor said:

Actually it just arrived... pops just sent me these pics. They just got home from their trip. Blower has some use and has been re-stripped once, couple nicks in the rotors which were there before the last rebuild. The outer strips will need to be machined for more radial clearance for gasoline use anyways. Way fancier unit that I thought, helical rotor, delta outlet.  This thing could push over 40psi with its eyes closed! Looks like I’ll have to make an adapter to reverse the hat so it sits forward facing in the boat as the engine is flywheel forward. No biggie. Still broke down in three rivers, got computer techs onboard now at least. 

B6B234C7-08B4-40DE-9603-7B258588BEC0.jpeg

F061342B-8473-4865-99A3-A37C9C69268D.jpeg

42833C22-0829-43E9-886B-6F8BC8B62FAB.jpeg

65FAE984-47D4-4D9A-9773-5683DA25E96C.jpeg

93E10BED-1ED9-4287-820D-6EC8ABD51A05.jpeg

No forecast needed for that big blow it’s going to be a lot 40 psi is certainly more than Category 1

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AngrySailor said:

Yeah heard that. I’m heading inland to Lake Ontario as soon as we get this tub running again, got electronic governor issues on a generator and a heavy fuel booster pump blew up it’s motor this morning on my watch... 

0EE2E784-C4AB-4797-B02E-DF6E5DE0C537.jpeg

7EE2EEE7-4A75-4210-A859-0F5C28762B6F.jpeg

That’s my luck too

If something is going to break it happens when I am in charge 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

That’s my luck too

If something is going to break it happens when I am in charge 

Always... went down at midnight, buddy hands over to me says he had a quiet watch, no alarms. Not 10 mins in got no fuel pressure to the generators... the boys this morning rebuilt the motor and cleaned the pump up for me anyways. Got a new mechanical seal and spider in stock. Gonna slam this bish home soon as I finish my coffee. I’m finished this tour of duty next port, hopefully the 15th. Going to spend a few days in Niagara with ST then back at things at the shop. High on the list is getting our 1928 McCormick 10-20 going (no Detroit swap). Pops is itching to see that run, might have to start a thread when that happens. 
 

this pump is in the fuel purifier room, the day tanks and settling tank are the walls/bulkheads in there. They’re sitting at 80-85*C... it’s friggin HOT in that room...😡

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surprised that motor was salvaged, looks a wee bit burnt 🙄

The shiney go fast parts help stay sane or at least rationalize why we need to work 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

Surprised that motor was salvaged, looks a wee bit burnt 🙄

The shiney go fast parts help stay sane or at least rationalize why we need to work 

Most of that black burnt looking mess was heavy fuel which cleaned up some. It had been hot for sure but not “burned”. Megger test was good, knock on wood it’s been running 12hrs now. Buddy put the motor back together, I rebuilt the screw pump yesterday afternoon and put it back in service. 
 

As of rn our busted generator is running. We had shore techs all day, another on the way. They changed a bunch of I/O cards and the governor main board with no results, put the old board back and it started and ran. Guess they don’t know what they did or why it was in alarm... as it stands rn we’re leaving three rivers Quebec at 0900 for clarkson which is about a 42hr sail. I’m done when we get there, got a few matters to attend to in Niagara next week so as long as I’m there by Monday I’m gold. Visit ST for a few days then fly home.
 

Guess the weather has been rainy for weeks now. Hoping to get a few good days so I can finish wrecking those old hockey puck hard Mickey Thompsons on the square body. Once the season is over for driving that I’m going to tub the box, C notch the frame, widen the wheels to probably 14” and alter the back spacing to narrow the track width about 3” per side. Then she’s going 4 link and coil overs. Going to fab it all myself, the prices are crazy for “kits” and none offer what I want, they’re all fluff junk for air ride or wannabes with no adjustment or geometry built in to make them hook...  got rear inner fenders for a 67-72 to use as my wheel tubs. Might narrow them as they’re 12” wide rn, the box side to outside of frame is 8”. The other option is leave them wide and that gives me room for the C notch to come above where the bed floor used to be, the c notch would be hidden under the inner fender. Have to think about it, might look weird with only 2 feet between the wheel tubs, it’s not like I used the bed but might look like too much tub/non narrowed frame/not enough wheel (even though I can now get 18.5” wide meats under it...  of course this time around everything will be sandblasted and painted, brake lines done nicer than 22yr old me did... pics below the outside of the frame is 8” inside of the existing box side...
 

Yes, the go fast parts are somewhat therapeutic although I sometimes wonder if a raging coke habit might be more affordable 🤪

3D7FECDE-6D97-4259-A0DB-E5223795C05F.jpeg

36260A68-5BA3-4BBD-A818-2656991534F3.jpeg

B81DD380-B43E-4E0C-82AC-F159284C7BB3.jpeg

D7F9FEBA-5B0F-4F36-8A93-21EE2C0295DD.jpeg

A4DB0029-F856-4929-BD45-A12757B246C0.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, AngrySailor said:

Most of that black burnt looking mess was heavy fuel which cleaned up some. It had been hot for sure but not “burned”. Megger test was good, knock on wood it’s been running 12hrs now. Buddy put the motor back together, I rebuilt the screw pump yesterday afternoon and put it back in service. 
 

As of rn our busted generator is running. We had shore techs all day, another on the way. They changed a bunch of I/O cards and the governor main board with no results, put the old board back and it started and ran. Guess they don’t know what they did or why it was in alarm... as it stands rn we’re leaving three rivers Quebec at 0900 for clarkson which is about a 42hr sail. I’m done when we get there, got a few matters to attend to in Niagara next week so as long as I’m there by Monday I’m gold. Visit ST for a few days then fly home.
 

Guess the weather has been rainy for weeks now. Hoping to get a few good days so I can finish wrecking those old hockey puck hard Mickey Thompsons on the square body. Once the season is over for driving that I’m going to tub the box, C notch the frame, widen the wheels to probably 14” and alter the back spacing to narrow the track width about 3” per side. Then she’s going 4 link and coil overs. Going to fab it all myself, the prices are crazy for “kits” and none offer what I want, they’re all fluff junk for air ride or wannabes with no adjustment or geometry built in to make them hook...  got rear inner fenders for a 67-72 to use as my wheel tubs. Might narrow them as they’re 12” wide rn, the box side to outside of frame is 8”. The other option is leave them wide and that gives me room for the C notch to come above where the bed floor used to be, the c notch would be hidden under the inner fender. Have to think about it, might look weird with only 2 feet between the wheel tubs, it’s not like I used the bed but might look like too much tub/non narrowed frame/not enough wheel (even though I can now get 18.5” wide meats under it...  of course this time around everything will be sandblasted and painted, brake lines done nicer than 22yr old me did... pics below the outside of the frame is 8” inside of the existing box side...
 

Yes, the go fast parts are somewhat therapeutic although I sometimes wonder if a raging coke habit might be more affordable 🤪

3D7FECDE-6D97-4259-A0DB-E5223795C05F.jpeg

36260A68-5BA3-4BBD-A818-2656991534F3.jpeg

B81DD380-B43E-4E0C-82AC-F159284C7BB3.jpeg

D7F9FEBA-5B0F-4F36-8A93-21EE2C0295DD.jpeg

A4DB0029-F856-4929-BD45-A12757B246C0.jpeg

Cool a dialed in 4 link will get you out of the hole quickly and that is where most drag races are won

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2023 at 11:36 AM, AngrySailor said:

Yeah heard that. I’m heading inland to Lake Ontario as soon as we get this tub running again, got electronic governor issues on a generator and a heavy fuel booster pump blew up it’s motor this morning on my watch... 

0EE2E784-C4AB-4797-B02E-DF6E5DE0C537.jpeg

7EE2EEE7-4A75-4210-A859-0F5C28762B6F.jpeg

What revolting development that is !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2023 at 12:15 PM, AngrySailor said:

Actually it just arrived... pops just sent me these pics. They just got home from their trip. Blower has some use and has been re-stripped once, couple nicks in the rotors which were there before the last rebuild. The outer strips will need to be machined for more radial clearance for gasoline use anyways. Way fancier unit that I thought, helical rotor, delta outlet.  This thing could push over 40psi with its eyes closed! Looks like I’ll have to make an adapter to reverse the hat so it sits forward facing in the boat as the engine is flywheel forward. No biggie. Still broke down in three rivers, got computer techs onboard now at least. 

B6B234C7-08B4-40DE-9603-7B258588BEC0.jpeg

F061342B-8473-4865-99A3-A37C9C69268D.jpeg

42833C22-0829-43E9-886B-6F8BC8B62FAB.jpeg

65FAE984-47D4-4D9A-9773-5683DA25E96C.jpeg

93E10BED-1ED9-4287-820D-6EC8ABD51A05.jpeg

You should be a photographer for Arby’s ,you made the blower look huge !

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

You should be a photographer for Arby’s ,you made the blower look huge !

“I’m so hungry I could eat at Arby’s” 🤣

It IS pretty darn big! Those throttle butterflies are 5” diameter... the rotors are 19 1/2” long then you got the case ends and drive. She’s a 14-71, they don’t make them much bigger!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy **** get me off this ship!!! Still got critical generator alarms, the accommodation AC crapped out yesterday afternoon, controller failed and turned the thermal oil heating on, coils weren’t cleaned in preparation for starting that system so they smoked and filled the accommodations and set off the fire alarm, all hands on deck for that. Last guy has a quiet 6 hrs, hands over to me “all’s good”. Not half hour in the seawater cooler plugged with seaweed, of course the stand by cooler is in backflush mode with no strainer basket installed, Fug it in service that goes while I thrash and clean the dirty one, put that all back together and in service, cooling temps happy again then the engine control room AC blew up, wicked smell of refrigerant so I vacated and ventilated, it’s now over 30*c in the ECR... if buddys wants me to change another generator oil cooler tomorrow on the lake he can take a long walk off a short plank! There’s enough going on without that big job on the go to and with a time limit as it would have to be running before arrival at port which is only about an 8hr window. Lots of time if all goes well but...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AngrySailor said:

Holy **** get me off this ship!!! Still got critical generator alarms, the accommodation AC crapped out yesterday afternoon, controller failed and turned the thermal oil heating on, coils weren’t cleaned in preparation for starting that system so they smoked and filled the accommodations and set off the fire alarm, all hands on deck for that. Last guy has a quiet 6 hrs, hands over to me “all’s good”. Not half hour in the seawater cooler plugged with seaweed, of course the stand by cooler is in backflush mode with no strainer basket installed, Fug it in service that goes while I thrash and clean the dirty one, put that all back together and in service, cooling temps happy again then the engine control room AC blew up, wicked smell of refrigerant so I vacated and ventilated, it’s now over 30*c in the ECR... if buddys wants me to change another generator oil cooler tomorrow on the lake he can take a long walk off a short plank! There’s enough going on without that big job on the go to and with a time limit as it would have to be running before arrival at port which is only about an 8hr window. Lots of time if all goes well but...

Stay close to the lifeboat🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Hope you get sprung soon before the mutiny!  I also hope you don't have too much of a storm to come home to with Lee either.  Thanks goodness it left us alone, but it may bedevil your Dad!

Should have a cold beer in my hand this time tomorrow. Oh, the galley is almost out of coffee too. Mutiny eminent! Pops was saying weather looking decent next seven days. I’m going to spend a few days in Niagara with ST then of course it will probably be rainy when I get back. Need a few good days to flog the truck and finish those tires off...  Chief engineer going nuts here, he’s a spaz at the best of times but we got an internal audit starting tomorrow, all these computer issues he’s loosing his crap. Definitely time to jump ship. I’m leaving the Pm list way better than it was left for me if he’s got a problem he can hug my nutz. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...