School Me on 3500 series Backhoes

766 Man

If it’s an IH part specific to that model it’s NLA and has been for decades.

If it’s in good shape and you’re going to use it here and there, then why not? If you think you’re going to put 750 hours a year on it, I’d be looking for something else. There are several people using them and fixing them occasionally on the construction forum. I don’t think they would be as big of a headache as an old dozer with  an obsolete worn out undercarriage on it. 

Pretty much what they said. If there was any parts support when IH sold off the construction division to Dresser in... '83 was it?... it was dropped like a hot potato. Dresser only wanted the dozers.

Engine is about the only thing common to a farm tractor on the 3500.

I would add "and it's cheap enough" to Dirt_Floor_Poor's comments. Most of the ones I see for sale are WAY overpriced, and have problems you simply cannot fix due to lack of parts. They're just looking for some sucker that thinks it's like a 580 series Case, where they made a bajillion of them and you can still get parts.

Sad, because I had a 3500 series backhoe toy that was my favorite when I was little. Always wanted to get a full-size one, but today I think I'd rather have a Case 580B or C model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Pretty much what they said. If there was any parts support when IH sold off the construction division to Dresser in... '83 was it?... it was dropped like a hot potato. Dresser only wanted the dozers.

Engine is about the only thing common to a farm tractor on the 3500.

I would add "and it's cheap enough" to Dirt_Floor_Poor's comments. Most of the ones I see for sale are WAY overpriced, and have problems you simply cannot fix due to lack of parts. They're just looking for some sucker that thinks it's like a 580 series Case, where they made a bajillion of them and you can still get parts.

Sad, because I had a 3500 series backhoe toy that was my favorite when I was little. Always wanted to get a full-size one, but today I think I'd rather have a Case 580B or C model.

Welp.  Pretty much what I expected and Ford 3500's can be found in decent condition for around 2,000 dollars.  So, even before this inquiry I had no plans to go wild on an IH 3500.  By the way its less than an hour away from you via a Kent auction.  A 684 with loader in another Kent sale to the south of you in Arcade but despite any interest its not a good time to make a move on it.  

11 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Welp.  Pretty much what I expected and Ford 3500's can be found in decent condition for around 2,000 dollars.  So, even before this inquiry I had no plans to go wild on an IH 3500.  By the way its less than an hour away from you via a Kent auction.  A 684 with loader in another Kent sale to the south of you in Arcade but despite any interest its not a good time to make a move on it.  

Oh that's right. I completely put it out of my mind to avoid temptation. That one's EXACTLY like the toy, but it looks like it needs some help.

That 684 is on FB Marketplace right now for $11,500.. I expect there's a reserve.