Truck body work advice?

Mudfly

Afternoon,

Background:  I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD extended cab truck.  Being in MN it is starting to show rust thanks to winter driving and salt.  I've been trying to get the rear cab corners replaced for about 8 months, but low and behold, there are no parts available for the drivers side or so I'm told from the auto body shop.  They have been trying to source parts for at lest 6 months.  The corners are not horrible yet, but I wanted to get them fixed before the rust spread too far.  Trucks are too expensive these days to let a good solid truck be destroyed if you can prevent it.

Question:  I'm hoping that the panels will start being made again in the next year or two, but hope isn't a strategy I like to rely on.  What should I do in the mean time to try to slow down the spread and preserve what I can?

Should I sand/grind to raw metal and repaint?  I've been told it will probably blow thru the body panel where the rust is so I don't like that option.  Should I look at getting some of the glue on patch panels?  I don't like that either, since it will trap moisture, but I could also see it helping to some extent.  Or do I just leave it and see if parts are available in the next year?

Looking for some advise on what might work.

What kind of panels are they trying to get the OE or patch panels ? The patch panels go up the corner quite a ways cut out the rust and weld in the panel I have done it this way for many years and did this to my own 04 GMC last year.  

1 hour ago, SASW6 said:

What kind of panels are they trying to get the OE or patch panels ? The patch panels go up the corner quite a ways cut out the rust and weld in the panel I have done it this way for many years and did this to my own 04 GMC last year.  

I am assume OE but honestly I am not sure.

Most body shops around here are so backed up with collision repair that rust repair is at the bottom of their list. Most shops don't even want to do it

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Most body shops around here are so backed up with collision repair that rust repair is at the bottom of their list. Most shops don't even want to do it

I have been telling people this for the past six months. I have done a couple cab corners while the trucks were in for collision repairs. I don’t see aftermarket rockers and cab corners being on back order, but hard to say nowadays. We use Keystone parts.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 2:47 PM, Mudfly said:

I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD extended cab truck.  Being in MN it is starting to show rust thanks to winter driving and salt.  I've been trying to get the rear cab corners replaced for about 8 months, but low and behold, there are no parts available for the drivers side or so I'm told from the auto body shop. 

Take a good look at the rear cross member on the frame they like to rot as well 

• Like 1