Advice on pulling an 806

I have what I would consider a good running but bone stock Farmall 806 that I'm finally gonna get around to pulling in 4mph farmstock. My first pull will be on hard packed crushed rock with some loose rock on top the rest will basically be in black dirt that the grass has been bladed off of. I have new 18.4x34 Michelin agribib radials and a narrow front. My questions are what gear and tire pressure would you run? Also I'd like to get an idea for weight placement and if the TA should be used every run or just when needed?

With the short tires I think you’ll be ok in 4-low. I always started with the ta back, push it ahead when I get rolling, and pull it back as rpm dictate. Don’t wait too long to pull the ta or the power surge could do more harm that good. I would think you’ll be in the 9000 range, hang the first 500 pounds on the 3 point, then equally front and rear. If wheel weights I’d start with up to three sets before adding up front. This is just a starting point, if someone else has a similar tractor and knows the track pay attention to their setup. 

• Thanks 1

What are you gonna have it weighing?

8 hours ago, Steve C. said:

What are you gonna have it weighing?

I'm gonna run 9500 and 10500. The increments are every thousand pounds after 8500 so I don't have to worry about trying to get it down to 9,000. It weighs 9540 with one set of wheel weights and weight brackets with about 1/3 tank of fuel. They give you 100 pounds

8 hours ago, brewcrew said:

With the short tires I think you’ll be ok in 4-low. I always started with the ta back, push it ahead when I get rolling, and pull it back as rpm dictate. Don’t wait too long to pull the ta or the power surge could do more harm that good. I would think you’ll be in the 9000 range, hang the first 500 pounds on the 3 point, then equally front and rear. If wheel weights I’d start with up to three sets before adding up front. This is just a starting point, if someone else has a similar tractor and knows the track pay attention to their setup. 

Any ideas for tire pressure for that particular tire?

For the air psi , set the tractor on cement and put the bar of the tire straight down from the axel . Have your weights on for the class and the air the tire up or down until the bar of the tire just starts to lift of the ground 1/8inch . Check the air and put the same in the other tire . If you can put a drawbar in with out the two piece and slide it all the way in  and put a bushing in your hole and then the 4”twisted clevis with washers on the top side of the drawbar . With your size tires you probably can’t get your height to 20” 

Make your brackets off where your steps bolt on and try to keep them low as possible . For your back weights I make a bracket off the 3 point hitch and if you need some pictures I can send you some on how I made them , just send me a message . If you have any other questions let me know 

‘Danny 

19 minutes ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

For the air psi , set the tractor on cement and put the bar of the tire straight down from the axel . Have your weights on for the class and the air the tire up or down until the bar of the tire just starts to lift of the ground 1/8inch . Check the air and put the same in the other tire . If you can put a drawbar in with out the two piece and slide it all the way in  and put a bushing in your hole and then the 4”twisted clevis with washers on the top side of the drawbar . With your size tires you probably can’t get your height to 20” 

Make your brackets off where your steps bolt on and try to keep them low as possible . For your back weights I make a bracket off the 3 point hitch and if you need some pictures I can send you some on how I made them , just send me a message . If you have any other questions let me know 

‘Danny 

Thank you. Yea I figured out the washers on top of the draw bar trick. I'm gonna experiment with weight brackets but currently I'm gonna hang half off of my wheelie bars and half off of the holes forward of the step bolt holes. The one that is inside the elbow of the trans brake linkage where it goes into the housing and the one opposite of it. I'm only gonna hand 200 pounds on each side so I'm thinking they should be strong enough. Let me know if you think that's too much weight or I can send you a pick if you're not sure where I'm talking about. I'll take any pictures you have of a better set up

Advice? Don’t get started. Bad habit. $$$$$$$$ Lol, just kidding. Good luck. 

ED7CD2B6-4EC9-4BE8-BE5C-D0809B8BA55D.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

Is there anymore science to tire pressure as far as track type? In other words would you want more pressure for a harder track, is it pretty universal?

I don't have a good answer for this question but Danny's explanation makes as much seance as anything I've read or thought. 

• Thanks 1

Put washers or shims like they say under front of drawbar where it hooks to tractor, Put on a clevis Hitch also. I have  806 with wide front stock and last time i pulled at Hasty it would lift the front wheels about 2 ft in the air. There is always next time but in this are the pulls are getting few and far between.

2 minutes ago, hagan said:

Put washers or shims like they say under front of drawbar where it hooks to tractor, Put on a clevis Hitch also. I have  806 with wide front stock and last time i pulled at Hasty it would lift the front wheels about 2 ft in the air. There is always next time but in this are the pulls are getting few and far between.

pull 003.jpg

Oh and another thing i have a curved drawbar on my 806 from a different color but painted it. LOL

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hagan said:

Thanks. The pictures are very helpful. I like what you did with your weight bracket in the 3point. I might have to copy that if my set up doesn't work!

Make sure you are allowed to have weights on the 3pt first! Around my area, no weights are allowed on the 3pt, period!! Put yourself in the guy hooking the chain to you, would you want to work under those weights? I wouldn’t!!! 

29 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Make sure you are allowed to have weights on the 3pt first! Around my area, no weights are allowed on the 3pt, period!! Put yourself in the guy hooking the chain to you, would you want to work under those weights? I wouldn’t!!! 

I thought the same thing but I do t believe there are any rules against it

They normally don’t say anything as long as the weights don’t interfere with putting the hook in the drawbar ,

‘Danny 

I think low 4 is too high in our area 10500 farm stock class your stock 806 is going to be under powered by30 to70 hp I think 3rd would be better. Stock is a pretty loose word. They just look stock lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tire pressure, just look at  hole when you  get stopped by sled  spin out marks will tell you everything . Is it straight across hole or  high on out side or  high in the middle of tire. Spinout  lugs should he straight across . . Old hard  worn out tires will work the best

• Thanks 2