Jump to content

Stillwater river is angry


mader656
 Share

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Here's us at the Stillwater Bar around 98, went for a dip in the river, good times¬†ūüėé20220614_181400.thumb.jpg.f1cbab10eb21cf65fdedeb30649aa12b.jpg20220614_181433.thumb.jpg.6c95b678670c055ce93fd9aa6e664eca.jpg20220614_181315.thumb.jpg.db17835ac954b968ca83762fa6d1168e.jpg

My brother was talking about taking off on his own this summer and going down through Yellowstone again and down through Utah as well maybe. Thinking that may get put on hold after this though. He was a bit hesitant to go too. His bike is a 87 Suzuki cavalcade. The cut off year for antique plates now in Sk lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe a jet boat for Yellowstone this year¬†ūü•ļ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

My brother was talking about taking off on his own this summer and going down through Yellowstone again and down through Utah as well maybe. Thinking that may get put on hold after this though. He was a bit hesitant to go too. His bike is a 87 Suzuki cavalcade. The cut off year for antique plates now in Sk lol. 

Northern loop will be closed all year, southern loop will have a quota system to ensure it is not packed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5500s are nice when it comes to hauling sand bags...this was a load I took to the community or Reed point to protect the town from flooding.

20220614_160958.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There will be a lax period in terms of altering rivers, dams etc in the wake of this. I would advise any community leaders to get every available piece of equipment in every waterway to clean it out , dam it up or do whatever needs doing. Don't think about it, do it now. Take the FEMA money when it comes to help pay for it. . A year from now they won’t get a dime to help and wont be able to get near that water. All this material moving around fills in river beds and raises water tables. Its a nightmare here since 2011

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

There will be a lax period in terms of altering rivers, dams etc in the wake of this.

I doubt it.  Despite the drought, and the loss of power generation and flood control, the radical environmentalists in California, Oregon, and Washington are determined to remove several dams in these states.  (Once again, fish (as in the priority of saving fish over agricultural irrigation in California) comes before human use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+dams+are+set+for+removal+in+california%2C+oregon+and+washington+state&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS891US891&oq=what+dams+are+set+for+removal+in+california%2C+oregon+and+washington+state&aqs=chrome..69i57.26375j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Although the cidiots in these states would absolutely waste the water to preserve their tourism and recreational priorities.

Dam removal has been an ongoing enterprise in the Northeast for several years now, but these dams seem to have served very little, if any, useful purpose.

When Lake Mead goes dry, WILL the environmentalists demand that Hoover dam be destroyed, as is the coming fate of the Glen Canyon dam?  You can bet YOUR booties that it WILL be.

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+glen+canyon+dam+going+to+be+removed&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS891US891&oq=is+glen+canyon+dam+going+to+be+removed&aqs=chrome..69i57.13527j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe they could be placed at the bottom to witness the dam busting firsthand and the fruits of their effortsūüôĄ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

I doubt it.  Despite the drought, and the loss of power generation and flood control, the radical environmentalists in California, Oregon, and Washington are determined to remove several dams in these states.  (Once again, fish (as in the priority of saving fish over agricultural irrigation in California) comes before human use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+dams+are+set+for+removal+in+california%2C+oregon+and+washington+state&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS891US891&oq=what+dams+are+set+for+removal+in+california%2C+oregon+and+washington+state&aqs=chrome..69i57.26375j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Although the cidiots in these states would absolutely waste the water to preserve their tourism and recreational priorities.

Dam removal has been an ongoing enterprise in the Northeast for several years now, but these dams seem to have served very little, if any, useful purpose.

When Lake Mead goes dry, WILL the environmentalists demand that Hoover dam be destroyed, as is the coming fate of the Glen Canyon dam?  You can bet YOUR booties that it WILL be.

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+glen+canyon+dam+going+to+be+removed&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS891US891&oq=is+glen+canyon+dam+going+to+be+removed&aqs=chrome..69i57.13527j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

In 2011 after Irene there was a 3-6 month window where you could get away with murder in terms of any activity in or around water ways. We should have done more, now that window is closed and our villages have suffered from high water tables and subsequent smaller floods since. 11 years ago we could have collected fema money to recoup our costs had we dredged, now the state threatens forced reclamation of private properties as the solution to our water issues that began with a single flood. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mader656 said:

Rock creek red lodge montana after the flood. 

FB_IMG_1655220593765.jpg

FB_IMG_1655255562489.jpg

FB_IMG_1655255571167.jpg

Wow, that takes a lot of fast running water to move rocks like that!!  How high did the river get there in town?  The power of water never ceases to amaze me!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Wow, that takes a lot of fast running water to move rocks like that!!  How high did the river get there in town?  The power of water never ceases to amaze me!

At least 7 feet up.

The worst is behind us. Town of Columbus had 2 feet till some houses started to flood. Had they not biult a levy  at the south end of town in 2011a few houses would have flooded. Billings is now at the peak. With 90,000 cfs on a river that was 2700 last fall...

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Wow!  How much rain did you get to cause that?

2 inches of rain brought out a season of snow in one day.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mader656 said:

2 inches of rain brought out a season of snow in one day.

that's going to mess with the water supply the rest of the summer loosing the snow all at once

what kinda shape is the Madison river in

spent 5 weeks near Norris  a few years ago

awesome river for fly fishing

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Mike H said:

that's going to mess with the water supply the rest of the summer loosing the snow all at once

what kinda shape is the Madison river in

spent 5 weeks near Norris  a few years ago

awesome river for fly fishing

Mike

Madison got high but not as much as to the east. 

 

A substation fell into the river it's amazing how fast a temp station can be biult. Hope to be online tonight. Got to be 50 trucks going.20220616_110341.jpg.c6935ce969fb49e3e4d711dfa13af9fe.jpg

This was just outside absarokee the road I'd gone no houses cut off so it may be a bit to get fixed.

Water Is way down...but will take years for all the damage to be fixed. 

 

20220615_113637.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

.....love to come and help.....

...we have a great crew here....all old blokes...!!!!

..Just on a  short section of about six or seven miles we have   put in over 7000  tons  of big  rock, via the Cat Dumpers  shifted thousands of cubic yards of   gravell  to prepare for groynes  and replace carriage ways...The South Island's   ''braided' rivers are  an on going problem,   not from  globull warming  /climate change /  the deer eating the alpine plants  or any other BullSheet  the 'Green''  brigade comes up with...Its the eternal erosion  from  the mountains ...whereby each winter brings down , collectively , thousands of cubic yards of shingle scree...which slowly raises the river beds...which in turn means the ''flood plains '' get more of the same....year in ..year out...

..by the look of those  'flood ''video's on this site and on our National news.... the substrata of that terrain looks interesting....and would I be correct in saying that  the flooding of that magnitude  is a very infrequent  occurance..??    If  that stone deposited on your Red Lodge pictures is indicative of that valley,,it is no wonder that the over all damage is so great....

Trip through Yellowstone in 1972   was fantastic....The last trip in 2015 was just so different ..seemed to be a pale shawdow of its former glory

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 9:55 AM, Rawleigh99 said:

Wow, that takes a lot of fast running water to move rocks like that!!  How high did the river get there in town?  The power of water never ceases to amaze me!

Damm----

I had some figures on pressure per square inch from just standing water applied against a wall .  At 4 or 5 ft depth it was unbelievable.

With the current pushing as illustrated in Maders first pictures ----psi would be double unbelievable.

Think about the power that would be needed if pushing that rock down the street in the picture.

Looks like the "operator" had some real talent to leave it that smooth!!!:unsure:

That Montana water will be heading this way------42% of U.S. flows down the Mississippi. We may see another high stage on the Mississippi.  (just got low enough to plant soybeans on some riverside cropland nearby).

I am located 12 miles south of Greenville----elevation 115/116 ft.

661255382_mississippi_watershed_map_1.jpg.39093b564da6ffbda79816bf565730c2(1).jpg.c7b8d3cd377a4c8fe1eb84aa1d7507cf.jpg

DD

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any idea how much water is coming down the Missouri River before its meeting the Yellowstone a little south west of Williston ND.  What is the level of Fort Peck Dam above where Yellowstone and Missouri meet. Went by  Garrison Dam  Tuesday and it looked like it is down 12-15 feet from a few years ago, so a lot of storage plus the 2 dams in SD.

Just a few minutes a ago KXNEWS reported water behind Garrison Dam will raise 5 feet by the first of July and there is plenty of storage and some increase flow though the dam will equalize down stream water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 11:24 AM, mader656 said:

2 inches of rain brought out a season of snow in one day.

That happened here in '19 "sort of" with a 30" heavy wet snow then a couple of days later heavy rain melted it. 

Huge chunks of river ice the size of houses in the Niobrara river did a lot of damage to Northern and Eastern Nebraska. 

Had a thread in the old Coffee Shop but search wouldn't pull it up. 

Must be "water under the bridge".....................ūüėŹ

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mike newman said:

.....love to come and help.....

...we have a great crew here....all old blokes...!!!!

..Just on a  short section of about six or seven miles we have   put in over 7000  tons  of big  rock, via the Cat Dumpers  shifted thousands of cubic yards of   gravell  to prepare for groynes  and replace carriage ways...The South Island's   ''braided' rivers are  an on going problem,   not from  globull warming  /climate change /  the deer eating the alpine plants  or any other BullSheet  the 'Green''  brigade comes up with...Its the eternal erosion  from  the mountains ...whereby each winter brings down , collectively , thousands of cubic yards of shingle scree...which slowly raises the river beds...which in turn means the ''flood plains '' get more of the same....year in ..year out...

..by the look of those  'flood ''video's on this site and on our National news.... the substrata of that terrain looks interesting....and would I be correct in saying that  the flooding of that magnitude  is a very infrequent  occurance..??    If  that stone deposited on your Red Lodge pictures is indicative of that valley,,it is no wonder that the over all damage is so great....

Trip through Yellowstone in 1972   was fantastic....The last trip in 2015 was just so different ..seemed to be a pale shawdow of its former glory

Mike

All  the streams that feed out of the beartooth mountain are boulders and the higher up you get the bigger the Rocks get.

Rock creek, rosebud, stillwater, Boulder, and yellowstone for sure are rock with very little sand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@mader656wow man i feel for you all and nice you could help out the reed point folks - i have former family in red lodge but not in town she is up on the flats heading towards columbus just north/west of the golf course - i know those streets well and surprised to see all the granite rock over the streets i know it was always so beautiful along the creek there in town in the summers. 

howd 78 hold up from Red Lodge to Columbus, luther, roscoe, absarokee etc........so many places there for the river to consume things - devastating to say the least 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, searcyfarms said:

@mader656wow man i feel for you all and nice you could help out the reed point folks - i have former family in red lodge but not in town she is up on the flats heading towards columbus just north/west of the golf course - i know those streets well and surprised to see all the granite rock over the streets i know it was always so beautiful along the creek there in town in the summers. 

howd 78 hold up from Red Lodge to Columbus, luther, roscoe, absarokee etc........so many places there for the river to consume things - devastating to say the least 

The town of roscoe got hammered hard the bridge over the rosebud is gone. The rosebud bridge on the nye road hwy 419 is gone. The road is gone just down from the mine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mader656 said:

The town of roscoe got hammered hard the bridge over the rosebud is gone. The rosebud bridge on the nye road hwy 419 is gone. The road is gone just down from the mine. 

holy moly i am sure there are going to be some trapped people with some long drives to get around ugh so sad - i went through the 1993 floods living in jefferson city missouri on the MO river and I was a field tech and had to drive 80 to 90 miles in a few places to get to a place that was only 5 away across the river - its a whole new way of planning your life and day - its just adding insult to injury when people are so strapped already - people that have power to do something about this are not doing enough - ive lived in MT and drove it and WY and there is NO short drive to anything and its got to be killing folks with all the extra money for fuel and time they dont have lots of

hang in there man i know you have your hands full

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd say 35 is optimistic this is the road to emerald lake campground it was paved and nice last fall

FB_IMG_1655585798164.jpg

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I presumed all of the flood pictures shown were on the eastern side of the continental divide-----looking on maps of Red Lodge, etc, it appears that Red Lodge is near on top of the Continental Divide.

How much further West did the rain flush the snow pack off the mountains???.  Would not expect the Continental Divide split off the rainfall??

Can still see small snow cap on mountain in background on Mader's last picture of  of road to Emerald Lake campround.

 

DD

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...