Barn Find Bootleg Car

jeeper61

Very cool

I can "hear" that first picture!

Two window cranks on each door?

That is a new one to me. 

The 426 wedge is nothing special. Just an interim between the 413 wedge and the 440 wedge that came out in 66.  The real 426 to be reconned, with was a hemi, in the 66 model year, in a effort to get ahead of the 427 Chevy, different block from the 361/413/440 Tall block engines. It was the replacement for the 392 hemi (distributor in the rear like all the previous V8 Chrysler products) that was the hot runner before the 427 Chevy BB. If you haven't worked with one, the design has head bolts in the intake valley screwing into the head from the bottom, rest is a combination of truck engine parts and the hemi heads (which are probably the 392 heads recasted to fit the 413/426 wedge modified block).

The vent windows on the full size mopars were crank operated, same as the GM cars of the era. My 66 Impala SS had crank operated vent windows and so was the 66 Chrysler Crown, the Crown had a hydraulically operated vent windows, and horizontal gauges. (66 Corvette had crank-out vent windows}.  The BIG Chrysler had crank out, rear vent  windows also. 

I liked the 57 Ford hood view in Thunder Road movie , Probably 312 Ford with stock trip Duces.  Even a 57 Cadillac Eldorado had a trip-duce 390 CI engine, very common engine combination in the old days.

Do you recond someone actually hauled illegal booze in the truck of a car.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

So... What would today's equivalent of that car be???

A new Chevy Suburban with the GM 6.X engine is about the same weight and size. NO currently produced car is anywhere near as much machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WOW! WOW! WOW!, I'm at a loss for words, an authentic wedge, a year before the "elephant" entered the commercial world in '65. 365 hp, I'm not sure if it was a stroked or bored 413 but balls to the wall torque, they came out for two years I think, and the 413 was a beauty in its own right when it had the "octopus" dual intake cross ram, I ran a 383 in my yoot and it was a great engine but my only fear was it was a two bolt main and it was thought to be a weakness, I never found a problem and I ran her hard, it had a 5500 red line and I hit that every run, but I came out of the hole hot at 4500 rpm and that thinking won races, the four motors are brethern, 383, 413, 426w, and 440.

This car would be a great purchase, leave the patina and clean up the interior and outside rust, a bud back in the late '60s had a fury 2 dr post with dressed wedge, pulled onto a roadway and floored it,tore the insides out of the right rear wheel, the old girl sat at 645 hp on a dyno, the good old days when you worked all week to gain a few tenths on the weekend, now you run a program and awaaaaay you go, my ram has more hp than any car I ever had, great post, thanks for the memories.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, oleman said:

A new Chevy Suburban with the GM 6.X engine is about the same weight and size. NO currently produced car is anywhere near as much machine.

I remember late 60s the highway RCMP had chevy biscaynes, they were four door rats, now I'm thinking the trans would have been auto but the main powertrains of the day had two speed auto, I had a 283 pontiac and that was the trans, but I would think it would be a three speed auto, the baseline 427s were about 325 hp but I would think a 3.23 area rear gear, your statement about nothing equipped these days but what about the hellcat and charger packages the cops are using today? Especially the hellcat drag setup, 707 hp or 767 hp with a blower, that option is supposed to cost 20,000 bucks, oohhweee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oleman said:

The 426 wedge is nothing special.

That one was nothing special but its bother held the Mopar power flag before the Hemi 

I believe they called it the "Max Wedge" which upped to a 426 in 1963 and put out 425HP

2017-04-02_02-05-59.jpg

• Like 3

....in fifty years time....I doubt someone will be pouring over  a "Nissan Leaf''     or some equally innocuous  piece  of excrement....

...that  the car escaped  Obummers   'train wreck '  was a lucky break for that enthusiast...what a find !!!

,,still remember Dad's   1957 Dodge .....at home , in those days  , it was a veritable  tank...as compared   with the usual English made little box's

Mike

• Like 7

3 hours ago, oleman said:

Do you recond someone actually hauled illegal booze in the truck of a car.

Yessir, they sure did.  Don't know if they did in that particular car.  But in general?  They sure did.

• Like 1

Some meth heads minivan sitting next to his/her trailer just doesn't have the same allure as that car.

• Haha 6

My buddies dad always used to say he didn't understand all the hot rodding hype we were always working on in our teens, family cars used to come with dual four barrels, well not all of them did but they were offered

My Uncle had a 67 Plymouth Fury lll, 383 big boat with power everything, that thing would haul pretty good and floated down the highway 

When you think about driving on the edge having a stick would certainly give you an advantage over some one chasing you with a car with an automatic.

The brakes in those days weren't up to spirited driving so the engine braking of the stick is an advantage  

• Like 1

With it having  a cop speedo it might have cop brakes and cop trans and cop suspension, cooling would be cop cooling, with the 8 leaf rear I recall the torsion bars on a hipo car were thicker than a mom and pop car.

2 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Yessir, they sure did.  Don't know if they did in that particular car.  But in general?  They sure did.

IIRC some of the great names around your racing circuits got their starts in that game

• Like 3

"My daddy ran whiskey in a big black Dodge Plymouth, bought it at an auction at the Mason's ...?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Read an interview with Junior Johnson he mentioned that they had faster cars hauling booze than the race cars they ran. Thought he mentioned top speeds near 220 mph. They had supercharger and stuff you couldn’t run on race cars. He also mentioned he never got caught driving he was arrested at his still site

• Like 1

Just went back and found an article about those Junior Johnson and read it again. His friend had Chrysler New Yorkers setup to haul moonshine. He kept every car he used to transport booze with but out of the 3 New Yorkers he bought he had 1.5 of them left. He mentioned sustained  speeds of over 185 mph on dirt roads with them.

Having done 100mph on gravel and 160mph on blacktop can't imagine 185 on dirt