Woods finish mower PTO speed?

vtfireman85

I have no manuals and haven’t found much online. Is a woods RM 400 a 540 or 1,000 rpm pto ? It doesn’t turn very fast at 540 not does it seem to do a great job. 

I don't have any info but I would doubt any finish mower would be 1000 unless huge. Even our 16.5' bat wing finish is 540.

Might sound stupid but make sure all the blades spin the right way. Belt could be wrong.

I would assume 540 again even the batwings I've used were 540.

Mader may be on to something! A later version of my Land Pride takes LH and RH depending on which deck. My Scag Cougar takes LH while the other Scags take RH.

Belts could be slipping, blades are spinning correctly, blades are tired, and belts are bad, both have been ordered from the dealer still it seems to be spinning slower than is normal.

the whole thing is a PITA but I have been using it while i have been fixing my other deck . 

image.jpg

20 minutes ago, Rainman said:

Does Your tractor have multi speed PTO?

540/1000/1500

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

540/1000/1500

Shift up PTO speed, shift down forward speed...

• Like 1

Just now, Rainman said:

Shift up PTO speed, shift down forward speed...

Already just creeping, 3rd gear low range, slower than a walk.

Is the belt tension set correctly? I had the tension wrong on my Woods L306 and it wouldn't hardly cut anything. After putting a new belt on and setting the tension as described in the manual, it works much better.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

Is the belt tension set correctly? I had the tension wrong on my Woods L306 and it wouldn't hardly cut anything. After putting a new belt on and setting the tension as described in the manual, it works much better.

That could easily be it, the belt is cracked open and totally garbage. The shipping says it all arrived at the shop today so i have to try that out

I've run into a few of those mowers that were designed to run at 700 something RPM, older Kubota B series and I the Mitsubishi / Satoh had 3 speed PTO I think. Also some turned the PTO the wrong way 🤦‍♂️

9 minutes ago, mjcolemn said:

I've run into a few of those mowers that were designed to run at 700 something RPM, older Kubota B series and I the Mitsubishi / Satoh had 3 speed PTO I think. Also some turned the PTO the wrong way 🤦‍♂️

I was talking to someone about the belly mowers. Apparently you could put a half twist in the belt  

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

That could easily be it, the belt is cracked open and totally garbage. The shipping says it all arrived at the shop today so i have to try that out

Do you have a handheld tachometer? Maybe check the spindle speed. If you know the speed and blade length you can calculate the tip speed. I'm not sure what it should be but I'm sure that info is available. If you don't have a tach you can download an app onto your phone to make the led flash and read in RPM. I have one from Motionics called Strobelight. I'm sure there are others. They work best with a good light colored mark and low ambient light levels. 

• Thanks 1

I have a mower just like yours. I have a 2 spd pto on a kobota and run it at the 700+ rpm pto speed. It seems to mow better at that speed than 540. Put a new belt on it as it has the spring loaded idler. Make sure that that is free to move. They are a great mower and very trouble free. Had mine since new over 30 years

• Like 1

Something's definitely not right with your setup. Woods stuff works well. The L306 on my C was a little bit high maintenance but was a great mower. Belt was a wonky pattern to route to all the pulleys, and it was always several days for those fiber washers when they needed replacing -even before the great "supply chain crisis".

I regret selling it sometimes, but it sparkles nicer on my wife's left hand...

• Like 1