Wow, land

AKwelder

It's stupid. My 90 acre dry farm with river frontage is at 3-3.5 million. Grant it, I have about a million in improvements, the rest is for the land. 24 aums on a good year. 

thats nothing here, once developer steals if for $2-10K ac,due to taxed to death.

it is sold for $50k ac or $100K with 75% govt $ improvements and must build a $400K + RYAn "starter " shack.

All while paying $0 to $100 ac tax,

After There was a quashed blow up of new owners tax bill of 65-130% of mortgage.

just think what it will be in two yrs when fed completely stops trickle down of the faux $$$

That's 10 miles from me, I've given up on being able to afford farm ground.  I know some of the family that sold it after their mother passed away.  $8 corn changes allot of things, most not for the better.

• Like 2

Pennsylvania has some of the highest in the country. Prime farm land along the 81 corridor and within reason to a exit is outta sight.I was just told of one farm that sold to warehouse for 100,000 per acre.Talked to another guy he just leased one of his 3 farms to solar panel company. He gets $1000 per acre per year with a 50 yr contract. His annual rent on one farm ,342 acres,  is $342,000 a YEAR.I told him those milk cows be gone in a flash .

A solar panel company approached us about leasing 1,000 acres here. We told them that we live here and will die here and they don’t have enough money for us to do what they are proposing. They mentioned over $1,000/acre annual payment to us. We didn’t even entertain their offer. It would destroy the countryside and would likely never be fit for anything again. There are things more important than money. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

A solar panel company approached us about leasing 1,000 acres here. We told them that we live here and will die here and they don’t have enough money for us to do what they are proposing. They mentioned over $1,000/acre annual payment to us. We didn’t even entertain their offer. It would destroy the countryside and would likely never be fit for anything again. There are things more important than money. 

Amen. 

I chased one of those vultures out of mom and Dad's driveway last fall. Dad had left after lunch to start running beans and I happened to be back in the yard grabbing a truck when he was giving his speal to Mom. He was kinda pushy with her ( not that she can't hold her own) but when I showed up and firmly told him to get out of there. He got the message Clearly then.

I posted pictures a month or 2 ago on what they are doing to the land north of our town. It is a mess where they are putting these dumb things. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, New Englander said:

It just makes zero sense placing solar on good farm land. Put them on crap land if they must!

I know lots of good dryland that don't feed nothing that would be good for that. Or better that vegetationless land down south.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Amen. 

I chased one of those vultures out of mom and Dad's driveway last fall. Dad had left after lunch to start running beans and I happened to be back in the yard grabbing a truck when he was giving his speal to Mom. He was kinda pushy with her ( not that she can't hold her own) but when I showed up and firmly told him to get out of there. He got the message Clearly then.

I posted pictures a month or 2 ago on what they are doing to the land north of our town. It is a mess where they are putting these dumb things. 

Take a drive north to Lennon on M-13 north of M-21 and the next 3 miles west. Not a good enjoyable drive.yuck

Local guy paid $9950 for a couple hundred acres of average farm ground a couple years ago. People thought he was nuts. The last farm I heard sell around here went for $17,500. That makes $9950 look like a bargain. 

Cash corn in Council Bluffs is $8.15 today.

5 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Local guy paid $9950 for a couple hundred acres of average farm ground a couple years ago. People thought he was nuts. The last farm I heard sell around here went for $17,500. That makes $9950 look like a bargain. 

Cash corn in Council Bluffs is $8.15 today.

Even at that would it pay out?

On 6/11/2022 at 1:29 PM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I salute you sir. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 3:54 PM, New Englander said:

It just makes zero sense placing solar on good farm land. Put them on crap land if they must!

But the cidiots and the MEDIA (but I repeat myself), and the academics (again, I repeat myself) and the radical environmentalists, (and again, I repeat myself) do NOT, repeat, NOT see either the usefulness, nor beauty in productive agricultural/ranching land, whereas, this "crap land" that you mention, is home to the birds, bees, fishes, and wild animals, as well as providing hiking and biking trails (why do YOU think ALL of the cidiot groups want to have abandoned railway right of ways made into trails, where they have backdoor access to trespass upon YOUR property?) and other recreational value that this "crap land' provides for their 'entertainment'.  (Can't have 'fun' in rural America, IF these a-holes have to listen to a tractor, or irrigation engine, get all dusty, or breath in those dangerous chemicals)

Fornicate 'em, and feed them fishheads, i.e. "A cidiot is NOT your 'friend'.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ky966boy said:

Even at that would it pay out?

If that's all you had to farm and had to finance it, no.  But most of the farmers that are buying this expensive stuff have land that is already paid and/or land they bought much cheaper.  When you throw it all together and look at it "globally" the average land cost is much, much cheaper and it can be profitable.  There are also a lot of non farmer investors buying land in my part of IA.  That I struggle with a little more, I'd think they could find better investments.  But I think some look at it and know that they still physically have something of value even if values go south.

On 6/11/2022 at 7:26 PM, Rusty_Farmer said:

Take a drive north to Lennon on M-13 north of M-21 and the next 3 miles west. Not a good enjoyable drive.yuck

Ya,those solar farms are just six miles south of me. What a waste of good farm land.🤔

On 6/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, Jacka said:

Pennsylvania has some of the highest in the country. Prime farm land along the 81 corridor and within reason to a exit is outta sight.I was just told of one farm that sold to warehouse for 100,000 per acre.Talked to another guy he just leased one of his 3 farms to solar panel company. He gets $1000 per acre per year with a 50 yr contract. His annual rent on one farm ,342 acres,  is $342,000 a YEAR.I told him those milk cows be gone in a flash .

But I’m guessing this land in Iowa that started the topic is going to be farmed.  As in its bare dirt, the buyer plans to grow a crop on it.  It’s genuinely nuts here in NW Iowa. 

In my area of PA land brings that  regularly.  As someone said they use other land assets to pay for it, buy with family money, etc.  It is insane.