Using up 2 stroke gas

vtfireman85

I have about 15 gallons of 2 stroke boat gas. Our gas tractors dont see much use these days, and the big gas guzzling dump truck is gone. That leaves modern vehicles and lawnmowers. Is there a safe dilution to use in say my 98 wrangler? Its all premium, ethanol free and stabil treated. What about the lawnmowers? I hate awful to just dump it, i don’t dare use it as 2 stroke for fear of a touch of condensation, but it is still good as far as the gasoline is concerned. Please advise. 

5 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

Have a big brush pile?  That's how I get rid of it.  😄

Ive got plenty of crap to use for that

I've never had 15 gallons of 2 stroke gas, but I have always just dumped the remnants of the 2 stroke stuff in whatever I drive and never had an issue.   

With gas prices what they are you might try selling it on marketplace! :)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

I've never had 15 gallons of 2 stroke gas, but I have always just dumped the remnants of the 2 stroke stuff in whatever I drive and never had an issue.   

With gas prices what they are you might try selling it on marketplace! :)

X-2!! Never missed a lick.

Wish I had 15 gallons of gas I didn't know what to do with!

• Like 3

Earlier this Spring I had 4 gallons of 2 cycle gas I was afraid to use in my 2 cycle equipment because I was afraid it was too old. And it was 90 octane ethanol free gas with Stabil stabilizer in it, and the 2 cycle oil was Shindaiwa brand oil. 

I decided to burn it up in my truck, a 2006 Toyota Tundra. I went to the gas station with the truck low on fuel, and took the 4 gallons of 2 cycle gas with me. Once I got to the gas station, I first dumped in all the 2 cycle gas in to my truck tank, and then filled up the truck with 87 octane unleaded. It took 22 gallons from the pump to fill up, so I was really low on gas, so the 2 cycle mix must have got plenty of dilution. 

And away I went with fingers crossed. Incurred absolutely no problems. Truck seemed to run fine and no check engine light came on. 

And just the other day I had to take the truck in to an inspection station to get its annual state safety inspection (Texas) including an emissions test, to enable me to renew my registration. Truck passed emissions, so it must not have done any harm to the system or the cat converter. 

• Like 1

I loaned an outboard tank to a friend once, came back with about three gallons of what smelled like varnish in it. Dumped it in the '97 GMC, didn't top it off or anything special. It never even sneezed. Since then I'm not bashful about running it through a pickup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IH Forever said:

Have a big brush pile?  That's how I get rid of it.  😄

NOPE!

20201120_191031_01.thumb.jpg.f1bb53a21aa6c344237b053cc5369182.jpg

There's better ways to get rid of old gas.

Of the above listed... #1 is the lawnmowers. I usually add a little 2 stroke oil to the gas for my yard equipment, little added insurance to make them last.

I wouldn't be afraid of dumping it in any pre-2005 cars either. Those fuel systems are pretty forgiving. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have never had a problem running through one of the gas trucks 

I wouldn't run anymore than 5 gallons to a full tank 

And please heed the warning from Catech  gasoline should never be used to start a fire 

Send it to me. My DC Case loves 2 cycle gas. Seriously though, I wouldn’t be afraid to dump it in the wife’s 2017 Traverse. 

1 hour ago, Cattech said:

NOPE!

20201120_191031_01.thumb.jpg.f1bb53a21aa6c344237b053cc5369182.jpg

There's better ways to get rid of old gas.

Of the above listed... #1 is the lawnmowers. I usually add a little 2 stroke oil to the gas for my yard equipment, little added insurance to make them last.

I wouldn't be afraid of dumping it in any pre-2005 cars either. Those fuel systems are pretty forgiving. 

X2

Gas should never be used to start a fire.

Seen the results too often

Is that the added pep or its running so rough your foot is into it when it finally catches?

From my experience 

My wife put a few gallons of gas in our Duramax was it made it sluggish

I tried filling it all the way with diesel which made it 75% diesel but it still didn't run right 

Ended up draining the tank and putting it my home heating oil tank 36 gallons in 200 and the burner didn't care 

Apparently they put so much anti knock stuff in gas it doesn't burn right in a compression ignition situation  

I pulled my ‘78 Loadstar up to a diesel pump that I had been at 100 times before. Put the hose in the tank and let it rip. Was cold out so I let her idle while I went inside for something else. While at the checkout counter, I was looking out the window at my truck, wondering why blue smoke was issuing out of the exhaust.... then I dropped everything and ran out there, that truck had a gas engine. Had already pumped in 15 gallons... so I put in another 20 of gas on top of it. It smelled funny for the day but never missed a beat. You know a MV-446 doesn’t have a full tank for long, so we were back to 95% gasoline by the following day.

• Like 1

Well in worked up my courage and put 2.5 gallons in my 14 2500. Then 30 more of straight on top, burned up 1/3 of a tank this afternoon and  no issue. I figure I will continue on doing that. 

• Like 1

Put in 5 gallons next time. I take 10 or 15 gallons of two-stroke gas out of our snowmobile’s every fall. They are modern machines but I still fill them with oil mixed gas over the summer because it lubricates the injection pumps, the injectors, and in my mind puts an oil coating on the insides of the engine and the exhaust. I immediately dump 5 gallons of that gas into whatever small car is within sight in my driveway. I know I put 5 gallons into a 2014 Toyota last year, and it only has a 14 gallon tank total. I’ve put it in that vehicle probably three or four times before. No problem. I think I’ve run it straight in a Honda Civic before with minimal regular gas in it, until I made it into town to fill up. Neighbor put 20 or 25g of gas in his new (‘19 or ‘20) duramax a few years ago. He was 50 miles away, and he made it almost home before he even realized it. He realized it because the truck had been full of death, and his low DEF light came on. So are used like 500 miles worth of death in about 50 miles. He called the dealer, they told him it happens all the time, not to worry about it. He’s still driving the truck, no ill affects that he’s ever  mentioned

I have a six gallon can on my pontoon boat plus what is in the boat tank from last year, all mixed up and treated with marine sta-bill. The first time I take it out I will burn that up and then add fresh after that. 

I treat all the gas i store in cans with marine sta-bill as soon as I get home with it. I've been doing it for over ten years now and hardly ever have issues with small engines.

Kohler small engines eat it right up......I swear they'd run on goat pi$$!

• Haha 3

I put it in a 2 cylinder Deere, which seems to be happy with just about anything.

I'd be real careful running it in anything with a cat as I know oil burning engines will foul them and set codes. Maybe extremely diluted is ok but if you've priced a converter lately......