A word of advice before striking an arc..

vtfireman85

When fabricating it is very important to remember which hood is on your head before grabbing the welder leads. 

C566CBAF-4EF7-4C5E-9BB9-2692CD8B6802.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

When fabricating it is very important to remember which hood is on your head before grabbing the welder leads. 

C566CBAF-4EF7-4C5E-9BB9-2692CD8B6802.jpeg

Or if using the old flip down helmet remember to flip before striking the arc 

• Like 1

Never that but more times then not I'm wondering why it's so dark with my auto darkening helmet before i start welding only to realize I'm still wearing my dark safety glasses 😂

• Haha 1

We wore safety glasses at Crop Service. During the rainy season, I always got welder burn from the reflection. When I finally got tight fitting wrap arounds, I quit getting headaches. 

another bad one is having a auto dark hood with a grind mode and forgetting to switch it back to weld, only took me once and i never used it again I went back to the old fashion way

Yep, done it too since getting an auto darkening. I've also started grinding while wearing the auto and been surprised when it suddenly went dark.

One time I was wearing one of the clear face masks for sandblasting. I had a mouthful of Redman chewing tobacco, and I forgot to raise the mask to spit. It made a helluva mess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If you haven't flashed yourself....you haven't welded....! 😁   Doing it in an especially dark environment was the worst. I remember welding a ladder bracket inside a Scott feed storage tank. Helper lowered the stinger down to me, even put a rod in it and had the welder running. It struck an arc on the bin wall right in front of me before I even had my helmet on let alone pulled down. I saw that...!

8 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

One time I was wearing one of the clear face masks for sandblasting. I had a mouthful of Redman chewing tobacco, and I forgot to raise the mask to spit. It made a helluva mess.

Full face motorcycle helmet is good for that....

8 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

I did that once in them stupid mask we had to wear every wear like you said messy.

Shoot i can live with the flash, its the burn that almost killed me. Once when i was a kid, dont remember if i was welding or dad. I think it was him and he said dont watch this turn around and i thought what does he know. Later that night i woke up blind running around with like sand in my eyes. Finally found the visine and drained the bottle, that gave me about 4 seconds of relief then back to dying. Lets just say i was ALOT more careful after that. Maybe the old man was right   

Doesn’t hurt to check the batteries too lol. Went to weld up the shift leaver on my dirt bike today after it caught a log and bent down some.  Went to weld it up with my same helmet on and wondered why I couldn’t see the puddle just a bright shiny spot lol.  Welded the rest with my eyes shut after that just avoid the flash. Not like I was doing a big long bead anyways.  Dad says it was working fine last time he used it so not sure why there was zero life left in it now but what ever. Got it done anyways. 

50 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Maybe the old man was right   

Never, ever admit that out loud.

10 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

Did that to the driver's window of my'67 Delmont 88 one time. Melluva hess indeed.

Slow close toilet seats teach people to just drop 'em.  Automatic anything has a downside if you're not paying enough attention.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

Slow close toilet seats teach people to just drop 'em.  Automatic anything has a downside if you're not paying enough attention.

Tell me about it! But I still like them.