Black hills vacation pics

Pete1468

I took the family on a vacation out to the black hills this week.  I've always wanted to ride side by sides on the trails out there so I wasn't getting any younger.  The first day the couple that came out with us rented a four seater and out we went.  The rental place said Custer peak lookout was a good place to start and just go get lost.  Well we got rained and hailed on for an hour before we could get back.  It wasn't that good, the next day just 4 of us went and we left terry peak and just headed south and got lost.  It was a much better ride.  We wound up in hill city and the ride was excellent.  12 hours and 230 miles later we had a blast.  The more difficult trails I couldn't take pictures as it's hard to drive and take a pic.  I've got 2 days left to get lost for more pics.

KIMG0765.JPG

KIMG0761.JPG

KIMG0745.JPG

KIMG0771.JPG

• Like 16

The Black Hills are one of my favorite places to visit, don’t forget to see Mount Rushmore, in my opinion one of the coolest places I’ve ever seen! 😎

• Like 1

Rushmore is pretty cool. It's been probably 15 years now since we took the kids. Did a hike up Harney? Peak and got caught in a hail/ lightning/rain/thunderstorm half way to the top. Kept going and made it with wife and then grade school age kids. At the top at a shelter were a group of teenagers that one went into hypothermia from being wet and cold and had to be carted out by emergency crew. Looked at my son who was probably 3rd or 4th grade and wondered if I had led my family into harms way. We took off and kept moving and made it back to our car and dry clothes about the time the er crew got the other kid down to parking lot. 

Awesome part of the country tho.

• Like 1

cool everyone should see the foreheads - curly pigtail bridges - custer park and feed the donkey jalapino crackers thats a hoot - ride the steam engine in keystone its a nice lil short drive 

the summer cattle should be out now

they have really commercialized the foreheads so some of the nostalgia of long ago is gone unfortunately used to go there for free too, kind of like how they destroyed the royal gorge in CO. dang shame we used to go there and walk across and enjoy it, nows its like a disneyland attraction wont ever pay them for that again 

we actually drove our truck/camper across the royal gorge bridge when I was a kid too - my how times have changed i think they tried to do somethign like that iwht the grand canyon with busses too or maybe already have and some kind of somethign with hoover dam also - idiotic morons doing stuff with those things bite my tongue on the tree huggers and their followings/leaders 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

The wife and I will be out there the last week of June! 

Nice pictures Pete! 

If you're going to ride trails shoot me a message, I'll help you out of I can.  I wanted to come out with some other riders but we couldn't get a time right for everyone.  I would have loved someone to show us the ins and outs to save us a day figuring out where to stay and what area is the best to ride in.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I remember when we were on vacation through there years ago when my daughter was only 4 years old. When we saw Mt. Rushmore she immediately started calling it “Face Mountain.” Lol….

Last pick I'll put on as I'm heard home.  Did a total of 570 miles on the side by side.

KIMG0780.JPG

• Like 4

I wouldn't have had time to come up and buzz around with you but I could have pointed you in the direction of a couple of good trails. I live just north of Sturgis but even being as close as I am I don't get to get up in the hills as often as I would like to. What kind of side x side did you rent?

1 hour ago, ZG6E said:

I wouldn't have had time to come up and buzz around with you but I could have pointed you in the direction of a couple of good trails. I live just north of Sturgis but even being as close as I am I don't get to get up in the hills as often as I would like to. What kind of side x side did you rent?

Buddy rented a six seater Polaris ranger.  I brought a razor and a general.

5 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Did you go the extra few miles and see the Crazy Horse Monument?

No, wife and I saw it twenty years ago and liked the buildings better then the carving so we didn't hear over there.