Gooseneck education.

farmallman77

On 6/11/2022 at 7:35 PM, brahamfireman said:

That doesn't sound right. Every single double axle car trailer with two 7,000 pound axles would require a CDL then.

They do, technically, at least in New York. I registered my deckover for 10,000lbs.

The DMV doesn't ask for your CDL when you go to register a vehicle or trailer, though. 

1 minute ago, Matt Kirsch said:

They do, technically, at least in New York. I registered my deckover for 10,000lbs.

The DMV doesn't ask for your CDL when you go to register a vehicle or trailer, though. 

When you take the test it has to be 10,001 lbs. i went first time with the 5 ton. Same dimensions as the 12, they sent me away because the sticker lacked 1 lb

16 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Idk, i have towed a 5 ton and a 12 ton my 2500. While the tow rating exceeded the limits of the 5 ton 99% of the time it wasn’t a problem and i wasn’t dragging around 4,000 extra lbs of trailer. 
sizing a trailer practically for the tow rating of your vehicle  makes sense IMO. There is 0 advantage to towing a 20 ton tandem dual with a 3/4 ton truck. 

I guess it depends on what you are doing with it.  If you're pulling it pretty often that argument makes sense.  I don't use my trailer much and while I may be dragging around and extra 4K of trailer having that extra trailer when needed is really nice. 

I currently also have a 2009 tandem car hauler I bought new.  I don't use it much at all anymore and I've often thought about selling it.   It does come in handy when you only need a small trailer but it's few and far between for me anymore.  

20 minutes ago, B.B. said:

I guess it depends on what you are doing with it.  If you're pulling it pretty often that argument makes sense.  I don't use my trailer much and while I may be dragging around and extra 4K of trailer having that extra trailer when needed is really nice. 

I currently also have a 2009 tandem car hauler I bought new.  I don't use it much at all anymore and I've often thought about selling it.   It does come in handy when you only need a small trailer but it's few and far between for me anymore.  

Unless you are towing the same trailer with 2 trucks and one is bigger, having a trailer in excess of your tow rating, or one that puts you over CDL limit, if you don’t have one is pointless and reduces your cargo carrying ability. 

13 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Unless you are towing the same trailer with 2 trucks and one is bigger, having a trailer in excess of your tow rating, or one that puts you over CDL limit, if you don’t have one is pointless and reduces your cargo carrying ability. 

OK you win, you're right I'm wrong.... 🤪

Do I need a CDL for this rig?   

19621360_10211344036930572_5294300178035696078_o.jpg

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, B.B. said:

OK you win, you're right I'm wrong.... 🤪

Do I need a CDL for this rig?   

19621360_10211344036930572_5294300178035696078_o.jpg

Glad we agree. That’s about what you look like dragging around a 20 ton trailer with a 3/4 ton

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Glad we agree. That’s about what you look like dragging around a 20K trailer with a 3/4 ton

I don't got no 3/4 ton....   F-tree fiddy 6Blow yo! 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, B.B. said:

I don't got no 3/4 ton....   F-tree fiddy 6Blow yo! 

The OP is asking about a 3/4 ton and i am responding about one. 

i like seeing how much i can pull, cant stop, totally out of control, overlength, overweight and not get ticketed isnt that what guys do ? im mean heck we head off into bottomless mudholes, we jump on unknown horses, we build ramps for our bicycles that are held up by a stack of bricks and live to tell about it. 

Heck i grew up with no seat belts - im surprised im here 

so back to regarding 3/4 tonnage I have no clue what my truck was rated at never looked at any stickers or nothing, I used it to do what i needed to do. I never worked for any farmer that ever asked me what soething weighed or much less cared, got the chunk of whatever on the trailer and went, got it off teh trailer and went back for the next necessity. 

Was it safe, not sure, was it legal, not sure, was it done yes it was just like it needed to be. 

I pulled 5 kids in a lil red wagon, i know it was overloaded and so was I but dang it was memorable. 

• Like 2

One think that has not been mentioned is if you have accident even if not your fault if don't have proper license your insurance company can refuse to cover you.  I know some horse people that found out the hard way.  Just something to think about.  Do you want to lose the farm over not have correct driver's license?  

Thanks for the permission to high jack..but i think i already answered my question. I was curious about a gooseneck on a flat dump bed. The bed is on a 78 1 ton dodge dually. I had originally thought of a trap door to access the hitch but i think the hoist would be in the way and i also think the tail of the bed is too long.

Its got stake pockets but i dont really use side boards...other than a 2x12.

Lots of flat beds pulling goose necks in cowboy country. More and more of 450 and 550 models as well. If you see a flat bed and think it looks "different" because it hardly has any bed behind the axle, the guy that ordered it was thinking of pulling as GN trailers.

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Glad we agree. That’s about what you look like dragging around a 20 ton trailer with a 3/4 ton

I have pulled way more trailers with my 3/4 ton than I have with my 1 ton. 
My 91 Ford was a 1 ton. Single rear tires. I am betting you would have called it a 3/4 ton. My buddy had a 92 Ford 3/4 ton that had duals on. I am sure everyone thought it was a 1 ton. 
My 06 Dodge had exactly the same towing capacity as a 1 ton would have. 
All that being said, the duals are way more stable with a trailer than the single wheel. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I have pulled way more trailers with my 3/4 ton than I have with my 1 ton. 
My 91 Ford was a 1 ton. Single rear tires. I am betting you would have called it a 3/4 ton. My buddy had a 92 Ford 3/4 ton that had duals on. I am sure everyone thought it was a 1 ton. 
My 06 Dodge had exactly the same towing capacity as a 1 ton would have. 
All that being said, the duals are way more stable with a trailer than the single wheel. 

For instance, this is what my 3/4 ton is rated at. Mine is 6.0 2500hd with 4:10 gears. 
my point is that if he is planning on buying the trailer to match a specific vehicle and maximum load, there is no point in over sizing the trailer. If my 14k trailer weighs 4k i can tow roughly 10K with my truck, if my 24K trailer weighs 8k i can still tow it with my truck, but i can only carry 6 K worth of cargo, so where is the advantage in the bigger trailer??

The OP is asking for advice on the GVWR of a trailer to fit his truck. 
my advice is to either size the trailer to the GTR of the truck he plans to have and if he needs more he is going to have to regroup. Not knowing what his truck is, or how it is equipped, i am using mine as an example. 
I currently tow or tri axle 12T with my truck because we sold the 5T. Plan to buy a 7T but not a deck over. Even though my new truck will tow more than the current one, i have no reason to go over 14K because we have the dump truck. 
Empty trailer to empty trailer, there is a big difference between the 2 . 

1FB6F269-60F9-4322-A278-BCEE3181216B.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Twolines said:

Thanks for the permission to high jack..but i think i already answered my question. I was curious about a gooseneck on a flat dump bed. The bed is on a 78 1 ton dodge dually. I had originally thought of a trap door to access the hitch but i think the hoist would be in the way and i also think the tail of the bed is too long.

I know of one that had a gooseneck on a flatbed dump. I don’t remember what the hoist was? I do remember that it had two lever locks on the bed to frame to prevent the hoist/bed from raising while the trailer was attached to it. It’s possible the hitch was built into the dump body and not frame mounted thus avoiding the hoist? 
for what it’s worth…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Twolines said:

Cannonball makes a dump/flatbed/armed bale bed. I would look at their website and see what they do. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

For instance, this is what my 3/4 ton is rated at. Mine is 6.0 2500hd with 4:10 gears. 
my point is that if he is planning on buying the trailer to match a specific vehicle and maximum load, there is no point in over sizing the trailer. If my 14k trailer weighs 4k i can tow roughly 10K with my truck, if my 24K trailer weighs 8k i can still tow it with my truck, but i can only carry 6 K worth of cargo, so where is the advantage in the bigger trailer??

The OP is asking for advice on the GVWR of a trailer to fit his truck. 
my advice is to either size the trailer to the GTR of the truck he plans to have and if he needs more he is going to have to regroup. Not knowing what his truck is, or how it is equipped, i am using mine as an example. 
I currently tow or tri axle 12T with my truck because we sold the 5T. Plan to buy a 7T but not a deck over. Even though my new truck will tow more than the current one, i have no reason to go over 14K because we have the dump truck. 
Empty trailer to empty trailer, there is a big difference between the 2 . 

1FB6F269-60F9-4322-A278-BCEE3181216B.jpeg

here is mine so it sounds like everyone here has to big of a trailer and is overloaded in my case according to this list 

gvwr 11500 - my truck weighs 8500lbs with half a tank w/out my butt in the seat so once i get in and teh family and the suit cases were at 800 to 1000 lbs more so 9500 then you add 160lbs of fuel and im down to maybe 1800 lbs of payload WHOA that isnt much at all. 

so if i had everything balanced out just right i could have maybe 1800lbs of added weight on the truck and then another 12K since my GCWR is my trailer weighs 7500 so I can only haul 4500lbs oh dear what a disaster not to mention if my trailer weighs 7500 adn I can only tow 16K on a G/N well folks no more hauling anything but my skidsteer w/out a bucket or anything to do work with - i think im going to just sell out and forget it all im always overloaded 

image.thumb.png.4530f78b680c58d3780ab8c06324a520.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

here is mine so it sounds like everyone here has to big of a trailer and is overloaded in my case according to this list 

gvwr 11500 - my truck weighs 8500lbs with half a tank w/out my butt in the seat so once i get in and teh family and the suit cases were at 800 to 1000 lbs more so 9500 then you add 160lbs of fuel and im down to maybe 1800 lbs of payload WHOA that isnt much at all. 

so if i had everything balanced out just right i could have maybe 1800lbs of added weight on the truck and then another 12K since my GCWR is my trailer weighs 7500 so I can only haul 4500lbs oh dear what a disaster not to mention if my trailer weighs 7500 adn I can only tow 16K on a G/N well folks no more hauling anything but my skidsteer w/out a bucket or anything to do work with - i think im going to just sell out and forget it all im always overloaded 

Tow whatever you like with whatever you like, for that matter, go get an eco-boost and a Talbert 50T drop deck, whatever makes your balls feel bigger. I stand by what i said in the first place, grossly exceeding the truck tow rating with excessive trailer capacity is a waste. Using a bigger screwdriver doesn’t get the screw driven faster, or better, if it doesn’t fit in the slot. 
I believe you were one of the ones advising me to go with a higher gear ratio to save mileage…

seems contradictory thinking. 

3 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

There’s a reason why they build class 8 trucks….

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:23 PM, bitty said:

My pickup weighs 6300 and the trailer is 4700 so 11k empty. 14k trailer gvw and 11,400 truck gvw makes 25,4 minus 11k is approximately 14,400 available payload. Supposed to have a CDL although it doesn't really make sense since it's supposed to be 26,001+ needing CDL ....

It’s the 10000 lbs on trailer that makes you need cdl.

• Like 1

I find it ironic that I am arguing with Seth about hauling overweight with my pickup, and argue the other way with my truck. 
Sorry sir. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1