Gooseneck education.

5 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Depends on how much weight is transferred to the towing vehicle.

Rick

oh im well aware of the txfer but my point was that 1 lb is overweight if they wanna nit pick you 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:32 PM, farmallman77 said:

Looking into Gooseneck trailers.   

I have a 3/4 ton truck and did the math.  The heaviest load I am going to haul is 13,000 pounds.  

What gvwr trailer do I need?    

Thanks. 

Chris. 

what kind of budget are you working with ? 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:32 PM, farmallman77 said:

Looking into Gooseneck trailers.   

I have a 3/4 ton truck and did the math.  The heaviest load I am going to haul is 13,000 pounds.  

What gvwr trailer do I need?    

Thanks. 

Chris. 

You’ll be overweight. 13k load plus 7k trailer is 20k plus pickup weighing 8k puts you at a total of 28k gross. Cdl territory unless you’re 80 years old driving a Prenevost motor home then you can do no wrong…,

I sold a round baler on Big Iron earlier this year. Guy from the Ft Worth area bought it. He showed up with a really nice looking Diamond C trailer, I think. He had tandem single wheels, with solid wheels and 17.5 tires on it. I am guessing his axle rating was 8000 pounds. With the single tires it cut the weight down quite a bit, but the 17.5 tires get him almost as much tire ratings as 16 inch duals. I asked him about the scales in between here and there. He told me he never stops, and has never been pulled over. 
You guys worry way too much about licensing. Slap not for hire signs on, make sure you have everything tied down good and drive. Don’t drive like a drunk. Stay with the traffic, don’t weave all over, and go. The cops have enough other stuff to take up their time. 

• Like 3

Truck trailer combination over 26K requires CDL with proper endorsements, truck trailer combination under 26K with trailer under 10,001 lbs does not require CDL.  Truck trailer combination under 26K but trailer 10,001 lbs or more requires CDL. Goose neck or otherwise. 

15 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Truck trailer combination over 26K requires CDL with proper endorsements, truck trailer combination under 26K with trailer under 10,001 lbs does not require CDL.  Truck trailer combination under 26K but trailer 10,001 lbs or more requires CDL. Goose neck or otherwise. 

Unless farm plated. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

The cops have enough other stuff to take up their time. 

Regular cops, sure, but the ones that go after loaded trucks and trailers are not the same ones that pull over speeders and chase criminals.

DOT cops have nothing better to do because their job is to hassle truckers. They tend to congregate at weigh stations near state borders, though.

Just now, Matt Kirsch said:

Regular cops, sure, but the ones that go after loaded trucks and trailers are not the same ones that pull over speeders and chase criminals.

DOT cops have nothing better to do because their job is to hassle truckers. They tend to congregate at weigh stations near state borders, though.

DOT will leave you alone if you don’t give them a reason to harass you. 

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

You guys worry way too much about licensing. Slap not for hire signs on, make sure you have everything tied down good and drive. Don’t drive like a drunk. Stay with the traffic, don’t weave all over, and go. The cops have enough other stuff to take up their time. 

Pretty much my modus operandi.  Don’t over load the tires and axles, understand and go above and beyond the rules of cargo securement, make sure the trailer brakes are working 100%, drive intelligently, and beyond that any fines are simply part of doing business.  Been there and done that.  Fines are “costs” too as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

You don’t get thru Illinois much do you

Plenty recently. I have crossed more scales in Illinois recently than any other state. 
I know when I am hooked up to my hopper, I will get stopped more than with the tank. Kinda stands to reason when you get a bunch of people bragging about how heavy they run. 

7 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Plenty recently. I have crossed more scales in Illinois recently than any other state. 
I know when I am hooked up to my hopper, I will get stopped more than with the tank. Kinda stands to reason when you get a bunch of people bragging about how heavy they run. 

Oh they set up portable scales and have “safety” checkpoints on the state two lanes at least twice a week plus the toll roads around the big city they have guys over everyday and their out with their creeper. 

4 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Oh they set up portable scales and have “safety” checkpoints on the state two lanes at least twice a week plus the toll roads around the big city they have guys over everyday and their out with their creeper. 

They were set up in Dodge City Wednesday morning. Only stopping cow trucks and hopers. 
A couple months ago, Kansas was after the flatbeders. I had a DOT officer tell me that the more times your DOT number shows a positive interaction with law enforcement the less likely to get inspected. That is why I cross every scale when I am legal and they will have to hunt me down when I am not. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 10:15 AM, Lazy WP said:

They were set up in Dodge City Wednesday morning. Only stopping cow trucks and hopers. 
A couple months ago, Kansas was after the flatbeders. I had a DOT officer tell me that the more times your DOT number shows a positive interaction with law enforcement the less likely to get inspected. That is why I cross every scale when I am legal and they will have to hunt me down when I am not. 

I have yet to find a scale that couldn’t be avoided with backroads… but I usually don’t because it’s quicker to just run legal! Lol

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 8:48 AM, vtfireman85 said:

That doesn't sound right. Every single double axle car trailer with two 7,000 pound axles would require a CDL then.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

That doesn't sound right. Every single double axle car trailer with two 7,000 pound axles would require a CDL then.

Edit this, you are correct. 

A22E989A-F1BA-4EBB-937E-4C421945BAE0.jpeg

California allows for tongue transfer weight. My rear hitch can handle 2000 lbs of weight and tow 20,000 lbs. Depending on balance, keeping a record of where my equipment should be parked at on my 16k trailer, I can haul a payload of 13,700 lbs. 

To help calculate my tongue weight, I just by chance remembered recently, having this scale lying around. I’ve had it for years. Still works and calibration is spot on. The hooks are rated at 2200 lbs  9C24A257-C3FE-4297-AED1-AF70742FE7F8.thumb.jpeg.8fab5273c5584db6ec1675f8e72d80a7.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 9:09 PM, brahamfireman said:

it's not worth buying a light trailer and then worrying about being over weight. You'll almost never buy to big of a trailer, but it's super easy to buy too small of a trailer.

No truer words have ever been spoken.   

I went with a dual tandem with 10K axles under it  25+5 and for what little I've used it I am very pleased.   

I bought mine new in December of 20 for about half what they sell for now 🙄

7F208DEE-C1BB-4EBB-B34F-5D60AD08ABF1.jpeg.bc2e2a2bdbde78e1291c73b82267d869.jpeg

3 hours ago, B.B. said:

No truer words have ever been spoken.   

I went with a dual tandem with 10K axles under it  25+5 and for what little I've used it I am very pleased.   

I bought mine new in December of 20 for about half what they sell for now 🙄

7F208DEE-C1BB-4EBB-B34F-5D60AD08ABF1.jpeg.bc2e2a2bdbde78e1291c73b82267d869.jpeg

Idk, i have towed a 5 ton and a 12 ton my 2500. While the tow rating exceeded the limits of the 5 ton 99% of the time it wasn’t a problem and i wasn’t dragging around 4,000 extra lbs of trailer. 
sizing a trailer practically for the tow rating of your vehicle  makes sense IMO. There is 0 advantage to towing a 20 ton tandem dual with a 3/4 ton truck. 

• Like 2

Permission to highjack thread for gooseneck question.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Idk, i have towed a 5 ton and a 12 ton my 2500. While the tow rating exceeded the limits of the 5 ton 99% of the time it wasn’t a problem and i wasn’t dragging around 4,000 extra lbs of trailer. 
sizing a trailer practically for the tow rating of your vehicle  makes sense IMO. There is 0 advantage to towing a 20 ton tandem dual with a 3/4 ton truck. 

Can I borrow your 5 ton trailer to pull behind a 3/4 ton truck.  I'm not going to make a habit of hauling 19k on a 20k trailer behind a 3/4 ton gas truck but it doesn't handle it as bad as you'd think.  Would like to find a single axle IH 4900 dump truck and a 20 ton tag trailer to haul this excavator on.

20220419_185820.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Twolines said:

Permission to highjack thread for gooseneck question.

You can't get an answer without asking

• Like 1