Jump to content

78 years ago....


Recommended Posts

l thought maybe someone would have mentioned it by now. D-Day was taking place 78 years ago today. My Dad was on a troop ship about halfway across the Atlantic when he was woke up by men hollering and the ship's horn blowing. His first thought were "Damn!! We're sinking!!" But then the Captain came over the loudspeaker and said "The invasion of France has began!!" Just a few weeks later he was in a Sherman tank trying to bust through hedgerows and cross flooded fields.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Dad was on an airbase in England. Leading up to June 6'th they knew something was up with all the materials and equipment being stockpiled. Rows of jeeps stretching for miles! Then came special orders, they were to paint black and white stripes on the aircraft. They painted plane after plane after plane...... During the night of June 5'th into the 6'th a constant drone of aircraft, non stop for hours. By daylight they all knew the invasion was underway.

Always remember.

 

bmR5IDIyLmpwZw.jpg

 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TomH said:

My Dad was on an airbase in England. Leading up to June 6'th they knew something was up with all the materials and equipment being stockpiled. Rows of jeeps stretching for miles! Then came special orders, they were to paint black and white stripes on the aircraft. They painted plane after plane after plane...... During the night of June 5'th into the 6'th a constant drone of aircraft, non stop for hours. By daylight they all knew the invasion was underway.

Always remember.

 

bmR5IDIyLmpwZw.jpg

 

That’s pretty much the same story my grandfather told. He was a mechanic in the US Army Air Corps. He was also in England. I never heard him talk about the paint, but he said they were up all night working on aircraft. He said he didn’t know what for until the next day. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grand father on my mom's side was in for the landings in North Africa, Sicily and Normandy. I really wish I had known him. He died when I was very young. I would love to have heard his stories.

 

Rick

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks two, I knew the day but I thought to wait til one of you posted, my old man wasn't involved in D day as he was on the italian campaign, and as ot and I have written about he drove a bren carrier, I did hear the stories, my mother being dutch was under german rule for 5 years and detested the nazi base, so it didnt take much for me to get them talking and hearing the stories of war that they and all of you know what happened, what really piisses me off with the shiit that calls themselves politicians now is what the fight was over 80 and more years ago and what we are putting up with now is not that different from what they were fighting against, I won't say anymore as to get this poofed.

One thing to all, remember this day from so long ago if for nothing else than remembering  the rights we are so constantly appeasing to the forsaken scum politicos we have running NA and how these rights were fiercely fought for  and for us to keep.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Older gentlemen who ran the welding shop in my hometown was a tank mechanic in France during 1944.  Had some good stories to tell.   He made it to just shy of 100 before he died.

Truly the Greatest Generation,  we can all still learn a lot from their lessons.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the youngest soldiers that we’re there that day are 96 now.  Fewer every day.
 

One grandfather was there a few days after the invasion.  Reportedly he drove mail truck most of the war in Europe. The other spent his time in the South Pacific.

Neither one talked much until they were near the end.  

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Toured the Liberty Ship Jeremiah O'Brian in San Francisco a few years back.  D Day wouldn't have been possible without those ships and the battle of the Atlantic.   She sailed to the channel under her own power for the 60th reunion ......a bucket list stop for those with WW2 interests.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Older gentlemen who ran the welding shop in my hometown was a tank mechanic in France during 1944.  Had some good stories to tell.   He made it to just shy of 100 before he died.

Truly the Greatest Generation,  we can all still learn a lot from their lessons.

We need them back 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Since nobody in DC :angry: seems to remember that 06/06 is the anniversary of D-Day, I will.

Mike

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mikem said:

 

Since nobody in DC :angry: seems to remember that 06/06 is the anniversary of D-Day, I will.

Mike

I just recently visited the Reagan Library. I highly recommend that anyone who finds themselves in LA make some time for a visit. My favorite president and part of the greatest generation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I can remeber my father saying he was off up the road with a pair of horses and a gay mower on some day prior to D Day  when he had to pull into a field gateway and let a convoy of military vehicles past.

He sat there for ¾ of an hour.

Being in farmer he was in a reserved occupation, he also had a hip / back injury  from being a breach birth in 1916 that gave him a tremour and caused difficulty walking, especially in his later years. Hence he was farming and in the home gaurd.

My mothers father was in charge of fuselage construction of Lancaster Bombers in Birmingham.

 

 

As a side a neighbouring farmer was an ex German POW.

I remember him telling  me that winters were not as cold as when he was a boy. (In East Germany) 😂

He also said that him and his mates ran across Germany  to escape the advancing Russian Army and to be captured by the Allied Forces.

I believe he had it very hard both as a young boy growing up in Germany and as a conscipt in the German army. He is the only man I have ever met who could sleep standing up.

 

In the courae of my day job I have come across  various veterans.

Both of D Day and other events.

A survivor of bothxthe sinking of thw HMS Prince of Wales and the HMS Repulse. Both lost on the same day to the Japanese.

Also one memorable time I met a survivor of the Japanese POW camps. He was a prisoner in Sumatra. He showed us some of thw letters he had written home.

The overriding subject was food.

Said he was 6 stone when he was liberated.

I have the greatest respect for all of them when I meet them.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Dear Lord please keep us forever having to go through something like that again!

🙏🙏🙏

with our current “leadership “, it wouldn’t last a week…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

🙏🙏🙏

with our current “leadership “, it wouldn’t last a week…

Yeah, but but at least we won't offend anyone, or make them feel safe.

This is a real video, not a parody.

 

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting how one speech maker IS STILL CALLED a 'dunce' and a "warmonger' by the MEDIA, while the other two telling us about "they" and "them", are viewed as the future of OUR country, and hailed by the MEDIA for their "willingness to speak out".

I despise and loathe the MEDIA, with a passion only slightly less than those I consider the single greatest threat to OUR Freedom.

Perhaps this MAN saw the second video:

https://nypost.com/2022/07/03/100-year-old-wwii-vet-breaks-down-says-this-isnt-the-country-we-fought-for/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To what Art just mentioned, in doing HVAC and plumbing service for a living, I have ran across many vets from various campaigns. 
one that struck me the most was from a field gunner in the Europe theater. 
In what little time we conversed, I had actually “punched out” to spend time with him, it boiled down to him saying through a tear filled face he wouldnt have went to **** for these idiots of today. 
“when I left, my neighbor had my back. Now, my neighbor wants me to scratch his back.”

This from a man who did more by the age he could drink a beer than 95% of my generation, myself included, could even dream up. 
God bless our soldiers and sailors.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Yeah, but but at least we won't offend anyone, or make them feel safe.

This is a real video, not a parody.

 

 

 

Note- they NEED your ACCEPTANCE and WANT your respect. 
I don’t accept that premise. Their self-identity is blasphemy to God, and by me accepting that means I’m also going against God. Not going to happen.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always used the theory If you have boobs I'm going to assume you're a female, if don't have boobs I'm going to assume you're a male.  It's always been that way, I'm 779 months and 15 days old, Never been wrong yet. To old to change now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 806 man said:

I've always used the theory If you have boobs I'm going to assume you're a female, if don't have boobs I'm going to assume you're a male. 

You forgot the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer and George's father invent the 'bro'.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

To what Art just mentioned, in doing HVAC and plumbing service for a living, I have ran across many vets from various campaigns. 
one that struck me the most was from a field gunner in the Europe theater. 
In what little time we conversed, I had actually “punched out” to spend time with him, it boiled down to him saying through a tear filled face he wouldnt have went to **** for these idiots of today. 
“when I left, my neighbor had my back. Now, my neighbor wants me to scratch his back.”

This from a man who did more by the age he could drink a beer than 95% of my generation, myself included, could even dream up. 
God bless our soldiers and sailors.

It's not easy talking to veteran fighters is it Z, this shiithole we call NA isnt a sliver of what it once was, even my memories of the 50s and the 60s where there was a constant pride in our countries was evident but changes were in the wind heading through the late 60s and through the 70s, the blather we have to listen/watch/read from the media strives to make incompetence an asset and the populations eat it up by voting this scum in, I look at the crap that was voted in to run your country and then I look at the filth that is running our country and I just shake my head.

How can supposed normal workaday people vote this scum in and then not wonder when the lies and scandalous ways that they have shown to us over and over again and then still accept them, I've hated mouth breathing politicos ever since I can remember, and I know my one vote doesn't go very far but at least we who vote are trying.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My family is down to last one of that generation she’s very lonely I go see her as often as I can . She didn’t have to fight of course but she did her part like everyone did.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

You forgot the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer and George's father invent the 'bro'.

It's a good thing that series was made in the 90's cause there is no way you would get away with those subject lines today. Archie Bunker same thing. Lots of good shows back in the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...