Jump to content

Axes Anyone?


MacAR

Recommended Posts

I know a lot of guys are interested in collecting tools and other things. When I'm not finding more Red Power to add to my collection, I also restore and collect axes. Here are a few of mine:

Resized_20220603_194457.thumb.jpeg.7907542006df63984a047b1867faa625.jpeg

Anyone else like a good axe? 

Mac

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, MacAR said:

I know a lot of guys are interested in collecting tools and other things. When I'm not finding more Red Power to add to my collection, I also restore and collect axes. Here are a few of mine:

Resized_20220603_194457.thumb.jpeg.7907542006df63984a047b1867faa625.jpeg

Anyone else like a good axe? 

Mac

i would like to get a hewing hatchet, smaller axe like your unit 2 from the left the one i have i could never swing and feel like i wasnt going to chop my leg off. its a beast. 

yours looks like the mid sized version of mine im sure the make one one more size smaller than it like hatchet sized. 

Mine seems to be hand forged does yours ? 

@Sledgehammer is very fond of hammers and axes 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why, Yes    Mac !!

,,,being  introduced into  this world , some time ago, the 'axe ' was the tool by which one filled the woodbox...  Now of course a ''woodbox''  is almost a dirty word in the context of its part in slowly destroying the planet...but that is another story..........................

In the very early years, my  Dad, who was a logging contractor pre WW2, attended the country shows, known   as the ''Agricultural  and Pastoral shows"...where by everything from that shiney new tractor, you could never afford..right down to   kids showing their pet lambs /chooks /  ducks / calves  and ponies etc    was included..A two day event , which invariably had a drought breaking rain on the second day  (Sunday )....which never dampened   the kids spirits but tended to irk the organisers off a little...   And as usual, my digression   took me away from the wood chopping and cross cut sawing that went on, with each little country region having its best there...and the best of the best  went on to represent New Zealand , competing against    Aussie/ US     Canada etc .. WW2  interupted  any further progress   from Dad, but post war he used to attend in the 'veteran ' class, for a few years.....thus I still have his old cross cut saw.....and inherented his interest in axes  !!!

Not a topic that would gain much traction from your  phalanx of  large chested celebrities...as they join the collective fight   to 'ban'   anything that could harm anyone...but to find an old "Kelly "  or   "Plumb " axe with the stamped legend..""Made in USA ""   still visible...is for some of us...the erect   (standing  !!)    equivalent of the ubquitous  ''blue pill "".........................and to that end..I have found...brought from second hand shops...been given...  quite a number of axe heads....some pristine size wise....some have done their last 'chop' ...but are keepers ,none the less...

It was my good fortune to have known a New Zealand Champion Axe man...who once took out the   World Champ  underhand    (Vertical   'log' ) event, this in the Fifties in Melbourne , Australia....and he was a delight to listen to ..re the nuances of   using an axe  , competitively...  He was a Farmer...living in an area with high rainfall and lots  of heavy bush....  One could go to his farm...head out into the bush..and see the remnants of trees  turned into wood chips...trees of several feet in diameter..

I could go on....

Mike

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, searcyfarms said:

Mine seems to be hand forged does yours

Mine is a Robert Mann small Hewing axe, from around 1900. Darn good axe, too. I've used it quite a bit squaring poles and etc. around the place. I'll keep an eye out for another for you, it only cost about $15 for the head best I remember. 

Mac

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice! I have a pile unrestored...my cousin got into it tho and restored a no name for my wife. She uses it every other day in the winter. 

Have a few hewing heads ill see if i can snap a pic later.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Why, Yes    Mac !!

,,,being  introduced into  this world , some time ago, the 'axe ' was the tool by which one filled the woodbox...  Now of course a ''woodbox''  is almost a dirty word in the context of its part in slowly destroying the planet...but that is another story..........................

In the very early years, my  Dad, who was a logging contractor pre WW2, attended the country shows, known   as the ''Agricultural  and Pastoral shows"...where by everything from that shiney new tractor, you could never afford..right down to   kids showing their pet lambs /chooks /  ducks / calves  and ponies etc    was included..A two day event , which invariably had a drought breaking rain on the second day  (Sunday )....which never dampened   the kids spirits but tended to irk the organisers off a little...   And as usual, my digression   took me away from the wood chopping and cross cut sawing that went on, with each little country region having its best there...and the best of the best  went on to represent New Zealand , competing against    Aussie/ US     Canada etc .. WW2  interupted  any further progress   from Dad, but post war he used to attend in the 'veteran ' class, for a few years.....thus I still have his old cross cut saw.....and inherented his interest in axes  !!!

Not a topic that would gain much traction from your  phalanx of  large chested celebrities...as they join the collective fight   to 'ban'   anything that could harm anyone...but to find an old "Kelly "  or   "Plumb " axe with the stamped legend..""Made in USA ""   still visible...is for some of us...the erect   (standing  !!)    equivalent of the ubquitous  ''blue pill "".........................and to that end..I have found...brought from second hand shops...been given...  quite a number of axe heads....some pristine size wise....some have done their last 'chop' ...but are keepers ,none the less...

It was my good fortune to have known a New Zealand Champion Axe man...who once took out the   World Champ  underhand    (Vertical   'log' ) event, this in the Fifties in Melbourne , Australia....and he was a delight to listen to ..re the nuances of   using an axe  , competitively...  He was a Farmer...living in an area with high rainfall and lots  of heavy bush....  One could go to his farm...head out into the bush..and see the remnants of trees  turned into wood chips...trees of several feet in diameter..

I could go on....

Mike

Mike, most of mine have come from second hand stores and yard sales. Usually just buy the heads and hang them to suit me, though some of them have their original handles. You might call it my winter hobby. I've been looking for a good Tasmanian pattern, as those are quite rare here, and I'd love to hang one for my daily wood chopper. Thanks for chiming in, always a pleasure!

Mac

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Twolines said:

Have a few hewing heads ill see if i can snap a pic later

Please do! I like looking at them as much as owning them!

Mac

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mac...to bore you further....all the easy lower slopes in New Zealand   were chopped....and burnt  ..to turn this land into  grass production...Some before the year 1900.... Some  nearly forty years gone I was roading   in quite a steep valley....roading for forestry  planting...(yeah...back to the future....)...this with a 20 ton excavator...and I spotted an object  up under some scrub,just above the cut batter....Upon scambling up and locating this 'object'   ..turned out to be an early , absolutely pristine  41/2lb Kelly   USA......I reckon the handle would have broken...perhaps... the head tossed on the floor...and forgotten..untill that moment years later..

I have good axes and ''woodheap '' axes....That particular one is unlikely to bite into any wood again...complete with a new handle....not of imported hickory...but a very hard , durable, difficult to work  NZ timber   called   "Manuka" ...very much like the Utah Juniper   wood...

Mike

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mike newman said:

absolutely pristine  41/2lb Kelly   USA..

What a find! Would you do us the honor of sharing a picture? If you've the chance of course. The little Craftsman boy's axe on the left was a similar find. Trundling down the gravel backroad home in my pickup, I saw it laying in the edge of the road. Stopped and tossed it in the back, and it's become one of my favorites for smaller jobs. 

Mac

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a few....  I will say most are small axes or hatchets though. Top one I made myself. Drifted eye, forge welded bit. Bottom is a wrapped eye tomahawk I made. I’ll get pics of commercial ones later tonight or tomorrow. 

D0576C55-38D6-4F5C-932E-06478C5F8357.jpeg

72108E5C-981E-4D94-8BD3-FF5B9F9F4A01.jpeg

C3AD1657-109B-4CE8-A31B-F1C2C6DA0537.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MacAR said:

What a find! Would you do us the honor of sharing a picture? If you've the chance of course. The little Craftsman boy's axe on the left was a similar find. Trundling down the gravel backroad home in my pickup, I saw it laying in the edge of the road. Stopped and tossed it in the back, and it's become one of my favorites for smaller jobs. 

Mac

Mac...right now I am down the Rainbow Station...not working today...this on a cold snowey     (snowey  ??)       Sunday afternoon...miles from home...but as I like axes.....I will be happy to sort that out some time...I also owe @Rawleigh99  a picture of a specific firearm....maybe I can get my excrement together and   attend to that simple task..:)......

Mike

...except the firearm is locked away in   Gunsafe within the    Approved  Gunroom....and I have misplaced the key for the safe....and the "Police Person'   is very skeptical about the 'lost key'' story...but , sadly..the story is fact.....sigh

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sledgehammer said:

I have a few....  I will say most are small axes or hatchets though. Top one I made myself. Drifted eye, forge welded bit. Bottom is a wrapped eye tomahawk I made. I’ll get pics of commercial ones later tonight or tomorrow. 

D0576C55-38D6-4F5C-932E-06478C5F8357.jpeg

72108E5C-981E-4D94-8BD3-FF5B9F9F4A01.jpeg

C3AD1657-109B-4CE8-A31B-F1C2C6DA0537.jpeg

Very nice work, Sledgehammer. I really like your maker's mark, too. Thanks for sharing!

Mac

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, MacAR said:

Very nice work, Sledgehammer. I really like your maker's mark, too. Thanks for sharing!

Mac

The touchmark is a nod to the triple diamond logo of old. It is slightly different but that was the original thought. “T” is just my initial. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20220604_214554.thumb.jpg.710415d96655754574d028c4e35b91c0.jpg20220604_215033.thumb.jpg.9e41c512303b41836e44fe9ef854811b.jpg20220604_214850.thumb.jpg.0eb9d56fc3699b62c9028793c138b802.jpg20220604_214817.thumb.jpg.2958cfda6113a5de862b58c747a07ec1.jpg20220604_214346.thumb.jpg.e62159689dc9a5c5e52326d40861c724.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bottom pic is the axe my cousin worked up for my wife, it belonged to her dad. It is by far our favorite.

Admittedly i have more timber framing tools than axes but there are some heads stashed away here..lol

My little shop is a bit of a mess, i apologize. I have been busy with summer projects and saw sharpening.. otherwise id dig through and pull out some more axes.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I'm a lumberjack
And I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day
(He's a lumberjack
And he's OK
He sleeps all night and he works all day)
I cut down trees
I eat my lunch
I go to the lavatry'
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea
(He cuts down trees
He eats his lunch
He goes to the lavatry'
On Wednesdays He goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea
I cut down trees)
I'm a lumberjack
And I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day
I cut down trees
I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers
I put on women's' clothing and hang around in bars
(He cuts down trees
He skips and jumps
He likes to press wild flowers
He puts on women's' clothing and hang around in bars?)
I'm a lumberjack
And I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day
I cut down trees
I wear high heels
Suspendies' and a bra
I wish I'd been a girly
Just like my dear pa-pa
(He cuts down trees
He wears high heels?)
(He's a lumberjack
And he's ok
He sleeps all night and he works all day)
 

 

I'm sorry, you didn't axe for dat.

 

  • Haha 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mac i just noticed the reddish single right next to the doubles looks a lot like the wifes axe. Great shape for an axe head i think.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

 

I'm a lumberjack
And I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day
(He's a lumberjack
And he's OK
He sleeps all night and he works all day)
I cut down trees
I eat my lunch
I go to the lavatry'
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea
(He cuts down trees
He eats his lunch
He goes to the lavatry'
On Wednesdays He goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea
I cut down trees)
I'm a lumberjack
And I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day
I cut down trees
I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers
I put on women's' clothing and hang around in bars
(He cuts down trees
He skips and jumps
He likes to press wild flowers
He puts on women's' clothing and hang around in bars?)
I'm a lumberjack
And I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day
I cut down trees
I wear high heels
Suspendies' and a bra
I wish I'd been a girly
Just like my dear pa-pa
(He cuts down trees
He wears high heels?)
(He's a lumberjack
And he's ok
He sleeps all night and he works all day)
 

 

I'm sorry, you didn't axe for dat.

 

I realise I digress a lot in my various ramblings, Jake...but bringing a trans sexual   ,scone eating    cross dressing 'lumber   jack '    into the serious business of Axe collecting......is a cutting blow  to @MacAR  's       thread... :rolleyes:...verging on bringing  it into disrepute....Now if you were talking about a fa......:o

I better leave it that....otherwise  I may get   "Axed '  from this site....

Mike

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Twolines said:

I have been busy with summer projects and saw sharpening.. otherwise id dig through and pull out some more axes.

Man, I completely understand that. The farm and my town job have kept me running all spring, and I haven't gotten to devote much time to axes lately. I have about 8 more heads to hang at some point, and 2 pickaroons to make before fall. 

8 hours ago, Dasnake said:

I'm a lumberjack
And I'm OK

There it is! I was wondering when it'd show up. I may not have "axed" for it, but I appreciate it!

7 hours ago, mike newman said:

into the serious business of Axe collecting......is a cutting blow  to @MacAR  's       thread... :rolleyes:...verging on bringing  it into disrepute....

Serious business? Oh 'eck if this is a serious business then I'm getting out! I might be standing on the corner peddling axes next! 🤣 

Isn't this a great thread? Let's keep it going, shall we?

Mac

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are some of mine.  The one on the left is a Hookaroon I made from an axe head that was cracked. The middle one I keep in memory of my Mom who gave it to me as a young man. The one on the right I bought many moons ago to square hew logs.  In front, a well used estwing roofing hatchet and the Boy Scout hatchet I bought when I was 12, in 1973. I broke the head off at some point when I was trying to use it to throw but saved the pieces. Later when I was learning to weld, I put it back together. Leather cover is original and has a few newer copper rivets.

HPIM4456.JPG

HPIM4457.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MacAR said:

 I might be standing on the corner peddling axes next! 🤣 

What’s the address?  Asking for a friend? :ph34r:

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, you axe collectors... here's my question.  I have a few, some with some family history, probably none valuable, but they are sentimental to me, and I like to use them some.  I also bust most of my firewood with an 8lb maul.   Question is:

 

What is your procedure for installing a new handle?  I've tried and tried and never been satisfied with my results.  I can only get the to stay tight for 6 months or a year.  Then they get loose and stay that way.  All tips appreciated!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TN Hillbilly said:

What is your procedure for installing a new handle?  I've tried and tried and never been satisfied with my results.  I can only get the to stay tight for 6 months or a year.  Then they get loose and stay that way.  All tips appreciated!

This may not be the right way, but it works for me:

With a new handle, I use a spoke shave and a rasp to fit the handle to the eye as tightly as I can. Make sure the head is sitting down on the shoulder of the handle tightly, too. I use a homemade wooden mallet to set the handle, holding the axe upside down and striking the foot of the handle. The sound changes when the head is solid. Most guys glue their wedges, but I don't. I drive mine in tight, then saw off the excess handle and wedge flush to the top of the head. I like to drive in a steel cross wedge (I make mine from old sickle sections) at about a 45 degree angle to the wood wedge. This helps keep the wedge from backing put, but can be removed when the handle needs replaced unlike glued wedges which have to be drilled out before driving the handle out. Sometimes, handles shrink after years of use, but that can be fixed by driving the wedge back down with a punch and then setting another cross wedge.

Mac

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buckin billy ray on utube has a few good axe setting videos..he runs some old saws too, check him out.

Mac, i set mine similarly but without the steel..just a wood wedge and no glue. I also leave a short dome as opposed to flush cutting the top. No real reason except i have a theory that the dome swells and helps lock in the head.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have one like similar to this around that was reportedly great or great great grandpa's. Has a short handle in it as I think grandparents used it mainly for butchering chickens. Which may be the Last place I used it. I need to look for it and locate it again. Used to sit by the wood box in my basement to split or shave off small chuncks of wood to start fireplace.

20220604_214817.jpg.cf7f29d9c1afd34c64cc8e6b61134c51.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...