Carpenter bees

Putting a ladder up on a rack last night, noticed some fresh sawdust on the ground. Further inspection shows quite a few holes in one of our sheds. That’s a new thing for us this year. Quick Google on the Internet says they are only active in the spring when they lay eggs but will return next year. Anybody have a tried and true method to “eliminate” the ones here currently?

There are in pretty neat elaborate "traps" that capture them in jars.

I think the common way exterminators so it is to use an insecticide dust that they drag into the hole with them, but I can't swear to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michigan No Till said:

This bee was very aggressive and hard to kill!

Carpenter bee??

Sure looks like it. We have them bad this year. They used to be in the lean to on the barn, but the wind took it off last winter. Now we are fighting them at the house. They say vinegar deters them but I don’t believe it. Brake cleaner will knock them out of the air. 

Tempo SC Ultra.  It's a pest control concentrate.  The label states the main active ingredient is Beta-cyfluthrin.  Mix it and spray the surfaces.  I spray at the hole areas and generally around.  It remains effective for several weeks and will kill them if they start to "drill".  It works, as evidenced by dead bees found later (even days later) on the porch.  I usually spray each hole I can locate especially when the dust starts showing up or I see them flying around.  If I do nothing, they will be active all summer.  My porch rafters/ceiling is Yellow Poplar and the bees love it.  Tempo is not available at your local, friendly Wal-Mart.  I found it at a home town feed and garden store.

• Like 2

This stuff works wonders. Like tempo dust it stays in the holes, killing the larvae as they emerge, and the bees as they return. The bees are totally not aggressive and you can just work around them in the daytime. Be slow and thorough. Get every hole. Make sure to get the puffer pump when you order. The rubber is cheap so you only get a year or 2 out of it. 
https://www.domyown.com/drione-dust-p-167.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces-across-google&utm_term=167

BACC8618-72E6-4D3F-BFFD-364B0E6FD20B.png

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

Brake cleaner will knock them out of the air. 

A tennis racket is much more fun.  Gotta be quick, but when you make solid contact, it's totally satisfying.

You can't chase 'em, but stand real still and use a really short backswing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Steve C. said:

A tennis racket is much more fun.

My neighbor's shop needs paint so they attack it relentlessly. He's got a couple of tennis rackets and it really is fun. If they see it coming they can make good evasive maneuvers.

I used Tim-bor on some exposed wood and it works but not for long. I'll have to try VT's stuff.

I believe we called them Bubble Bees when I was growing up in South Carolina.  They  were very common, most old wooden structures would have holes, including wooden electric utility poles.  I never knew anyone who was stung or bitten by the bees. They especially liked Cypress fence posts.

10 minutes ago, oleman said:

I believe we called them Bubble Bees when I was growing up in South Carolina.  They  were very common, most old wooden structures would have holes, including wooden electric utility poles.  I never knew anyone who was stung or bitten by the bees. They especially liked Cypress fence posts.

Bumblebees are different. These won’t sting, anyway the ones that we have won’t. Real bumblebee sting, and are about the only bee that will make me swell up. 

33 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

A 22 smoothbore with snake shot is good wing shooting practice!  Careful of the windows though!

I hatched this same plan about a year ago, will have to be great fun. Two problems, lack of birdshot rounds for the .22 and need a spotter to know if I'm hitting anything. If the uncle is ever up and the wind is 10 MPH or less we're going to try it!

Carpenter bees are destructive nasty pests.I fight them constantly. I use 7 dust with a puffer and shoot it in the holes you can reach, badminton racquets at every door of the house is a must.But one year they got smart and would stay out of reach.I broke out my deceased Dad's Remington pump 22,loaded the old girl with 22 birdshot and went to town on them. You talk about fun,like shooting rats ,everyone you kill you feel good about.I suggest though people living in town with close neighbors should consider other alternatives instead of walking around your house hammering away with a rifle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jacka said:

Carpenter bees are destructive nasty pests.I fight them constantly. I use 7 dust with a puffer and shoot it in the holes you can reach, badminton racquets at every door of the house is a must.But one year they got smart and would stay out of reach.I broke out my deceased Dad's Remington pump 22,loaded the old girl with 22 birdshot and went to town on them. You talk about fun,like shooting rats ,everyone you kill you feel good about.I suggest though people living in town with close neighbors should consider other alternatives instead of how awesome it would be, walking around your house hammering away with a rifle. 

I fixed it.

Don't forget to flash the biggest, creepiest smile you can muster while doing so.

• Haha 2

We have them here also last few years. I don't recall them years ago tho? 

Our pole  barn was built in the 70’s, with additions added 15 and 20 years ago. These are the first critters to ever bother it.  I had a gallon of that Ortho home defense stuff that really works great at keeping spiders and crawly things off of my doors. I read into it and it says it does need to, so for free, I’m going to try it.  If I see no progress, I’ll get some of the hood stuff mentioned above

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

I fixed it.

Don't forget to flash the biggest, creepiest smile you can muster while doing so.

At least you won't have to worry about them messing with you after that.  You might have to explain it to the cops though!

They are common round here. The males hover waiting for females to come bye and mate.

they will turn pine into Swiss cheese but I've never had anything fail from it.

Thx-Ace