Spark Plugs for H

IH Forever

I know it’s been hashed out here several times but I didn’t have much luck with the search feature. My ‘41 H needs to be tuned up. Have always used Champion D15 plugs but I know some say there is much better quality available. I believe Autolite plugs have been recommended? Can anyone give me specifics?

This tractor rarely gets used. Has a 110 mid-mount mower on it and we occasionally use it to mow the road sides on gravel roads. But it never really gets worked hard.

16 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Autolite 3116 gapped at .023" They are the best because they are a non-resistor type plug. It is the resistors that burn out inside and cause the plug to stop sparking even though they are not fouled.

Thank you sir.

I vote autolites as well. Ive had champions break the tang the elctrode arcs too. Plug had maybe 500 miles on it.

Agreed, I went to Autolite 3116 in my H, M, and W-4 and they run the best on those

champion D16 is  all these old tractors had in them in including other makes also. nothing wrong with their plugs and i use them before any other plug. autolite is a lighter made plug and will break off if it gets seized in the threads, i know had it happen. and compared it to champion and champion had more meat on it and it would have never broke.  tell me how can u tell the difference between plug brands on a running engine ?? this is my specific's from experience.

17 hours ago, rustred said:

tell me how can u tell the difference between plug brands on a running engine ??

...Because they don't run.. or don't run long on champions. I don't know how many times I have had a tractor brought in that won't run right. "we just changed the plugs, and it's just not right"... put some Autolites in and away it goes. AC C-87 plugs were quite good for a long time until they changed something in them... perhaps country of origin.

I use delco C87's in my 300, 340, and Cub. Have had zero issues with them to date. Did have an issue with them in a B John Deere however. Went to 3116 plugs and had no more trouble. I'd get a set of both and try them, they're cheap enough. 

Mac

18 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

...Because they don't run.. or don't run long on champions. I don't know how many times I have had a tractor brought in that won't run right. "we just changed the plugs, and it's just not right"... put some Autolites in and away it goes. AC C-87 plugs were quite good for a long time until they changed something in them... perhaps country of origin.

A while back a good friend and I went on a tractor ride together.   He met me out at my place. We went to load them up and the M he drives was running rough.  I told him that a new set of plugs would cure it.  He was skeptical.   I proceeded to remove the champion plugs and replace them with 3116 Autolite.  It started and ran flawless.  He was a believer then!

• Like 1

I've always used the Champions as that's what Dad always has on hand in his shop.  (Much cheaper when I just grab 4 of his.😄)  But Saturday when we got it running and out of the shed I told him I wanted to try something different, I don't think think the Champions are the same quality as they were 30 years ago when he actually put a lot of hours on the gas tractors in the field.  I went to the local Napa store today but he didn't have any as he says he doesn't stock Autolite plugs.  He's a great guy to work with and said he would order 4 and have them for me tomorrow, so I will give them a shot.  Tractor is probably lucky to run 5-10 hours/year so not sure I can really give it a good test.

I have Autolite 3116 in a couple of tractors and Champion D21 in a couple of others. I used to use Champion D16 plugs but they often would fowl if the tractor was not working hard (usually half way through a parade while everyone was watching) so tried a hotter plug and so far no problems. 

Marty,NZ