Increased corn yield.

DT Fan

Not by a huge margin but I'm sure it helps!

This spring while scouting and later planting I spotted nine of these little guys. Have taken care of eight. Have not seen no. 9 since the day I planted that field, looked several times.

Locally we call them squinny's, lots of people call them grinney's? I get the first one more than the second as they are 13 line ground squirrels.

Shot the first few with the 10/22 later ones with the .22 mag. Wow is that thing hard on them!

The increased yield part of this post is that this post refers to, they dig up the seeds when the corn is in the stage it's in right now. Go right down the row. Took me a few years to figure out where all my plants were going! Stumbled on it one day and it's been was ever since.

IMG_1389.JPG

• Like 2

We have the same problem with them on the edge of a field next to a pasture.  I have started scattering handfuls of shelled corn on the edge hoping they will fill up on that and leave the planted corn alone.  Mixed results so far.  Your solution is more permanent!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

What is that critter?

That’s what we called a gopher. At least in Southern Wisconsin, thats their name.

• Like 2

I call them ground squirrels. Don't know if that's right or not. Get them bad in the yard here at home. They make you a better shooter for sure, especially when they are a few yards out. They are pretty skinny looking at a long range. Cats used to love to eat them but of course wouldn't catch them! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Not by a huge margin but I'm sure it helps!

This spring while scouting and later planting I spotted nine of these little guys. Have taken care of eight. Have not seen no. 9 since the day I planted that field, looked several times.

Locally we call them squinny's, lots of people call them grinney's? I get the first one more than the second as they are 13 line ground squirrels.

Shot the first few with the 10/22 later ones with the .22 mag. Wow is that thing hard on them!

The increased yield part of this post is that this post refers to, they dig up the seeds when the corn is in the stage it's in right now. Go right down the row. Took me a few years to figure out where all my plants were going! Stumbled on it one day and it's been was ever since.

IMG_1389.JPG

My wife says they are only called squinnys south of I80.  North of I80 they are ground squirrels.  She grew up north, I grew up south.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, E160BHM said:

My wife says they are only called squinnys south of I80.  North of I80 they are ground squirrels.  She grew up north, I grew up south.

Newton is right on 80, mostly North of it. Farm is three miles North of the 159 exit. They have been squinneys to me since I can remember! I do rather enjoy shooting the little S.O,B.'s!

• Like 2

Here is why I persecute these things like I do. This is where the one lives that I have not been able to eradicate. They go right down the row digging the seed out when the plants are small. Guessing it's close to big enough now that not too much more damage from this one. Going to keep looking for him though.

IMG_1429.JPG

Sandhill cranes will do the same thing walk down the rows and pull them out and eat.

We call them Gophers in Michigan as well. Run a bucket of water down the hole and watch the Dogs go to work when they come shooting out.

They are a federation squirrel because of the 13 stripes gopher. They are called striped gophers here by most people. They love corn when it's about 1-2 inches high. Very different than a pocket gopher pocket

Rick