1066 hydraulic leak help please!

Under the seat is a square headed plug that is leaking. I have worked on it in the past and even ordered o - rings from the dealer. It still leaked.

Tractor also had a leaking spool valve which did not look like a good candidate for repair. Blamed the leak on the spool valve until I replaced the valve. Also replaced o -rings on the plug but it still leaks. Have tried all different  o - rings, scrapped, cleaned and used emery paper. Feels great and looks good but the eyes are not so good anymore. This appears to be a drain back to the case after a relief valve. I can put a 10 inch tie strap down the hole to the diff case. The hole does not seem very restricted with bent wire in the hole. It only leaks when the remotes are applied.  Thanking about trying to seal it with a copper or aluminum washer.

It looks so simple. Am I missing something here? Anyone else ever have this problem?KIMG0630.thumb.JPG.3bc46c6415af553dbce37594e3e36750.JPG 

Are you sure that you got the correct o-ring from the dealer?  That is not a standard sized o-ring.  The new number is 570186, which replaced 237-6020, and some other previous numbers.  Check your invoice to see what you purchased.

• Like 1

I went through this a few years ago….after fighting it a few times, I put glasses on, and a head lamp, super dried the casting with a can of brake cleaner, put my face right close to it, revved tractor up, held the lever…..and found a crack in the casting. It was cracked in the threads, going up, toward that small plug.  No idea what would cause that, but when I removed the relief valve I found a tiny sharp piece of metal (like a wire/piece of a screen (?) ) stuck in the hole at the end of it. Installed new valve and casting. 

• Like 1

The o ring from the dealer is long gone and I cannot find one that size. Good call. I will not stretch out all the things I have tried.

I took pictures of the housing and can see a crack when I blow it up. Thanks for the heads up guys. This 1066 has to run due to other down tractors. Thought about options. Kneaded anaerobic into the crack as best as possible. Applied same product to threads close to o - ring. Hope to get everything else together tomorrow. It did not leak real bad before anyway so hope to get through the tasks at hand.

KIMG0631.JPG

I see that it looks to be a crack around the diameter of the first thread there. Maybe that’s not actually a crack though? Maybe a casting flaw? I think I would try to find the absolutely correct O-ring before replacing that housing. Mine was actually cracked like straight through the threads into the paint. Mine did not leak much either, your tractor will be alright, if you need it to be going. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:50 PM, 1066 Peterbilt said:

Under the seat is a square headed plug that is leaking. I have worked on it in the past and even ordered o - rings from the dealer. It still leaked.

Tractor also had a leaking spool valve which did not look like a good candidate for repair. Blamed the leak on the spool valve until I replaced the valve. Also replaced o -rings on the plug but it still leaks. Have tried all different  o - rings, scrapped, cleaned and used emery paper. Feels great and looks good but the eyes are not so good anymore. This appears to be a drain back to the case after a relief valve. I can put a 10 inch tie strap down the hole to the diff case. The hole does not seem very restricted with bent wire in the hole. It only leaks when the remotes are applied.  Thanking about trying to seal it with a copper or aluminum washer.

It looks so simple. Am I missing something here? Anyone else ever have this problem?KIMG0630.thumb.JPG.3bc46c6415af553dbce37594e3e36750.JPG 

That bottom o ring looks to big to me in diameter. Part # should have an OB in it for oring boss .

• Like 1