Jump to content

Trailer borrowers


Recommended Posts

I really shouldn’t complain, because i have borrowed my share. We have a family friend however who has great timing. “Can i steal your guys’s trailer” is always at the worst time (and the poor grammar is irritating) , and it never seems to come back promptly. This particular borrower got pops (mine) to pay for a significant portion of his own trailer on the auspice that we could use it whenever we needed to. Not a year later he announces he is going to sell it. Dad figures he bought that one 1.5 times. 
it was supposed to be back last night , and I needed it today, so i was disappointed when I showed up and it wasn’t at the shop. Needed chains that were in it yesterday, of course not there. 
this particular fellow is a good friend to us, so you have to take the good with the bad. 
there really seems to be a magical thing about trailers that people feel they are fair game to borrow endlessly. 
makes me want a proprietary hitch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loaned mine out a few times and borrowed a buddies tilt deck a few also, love that trailer but he is a super nice guy and has loaned it to others that have flat spotted his tires by not adjusting their brake controller properly and tires aren't cheap anymore, I really avoid asking anymore unless I really need it for something special 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't loan mine. I will haul at a reduced rate to good friends whom will reciprocate, but far too many openings for relationship problems with loaning as I see it. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Loaned mine out a few times and borrowed a buddies tilt deck a few also, love that trailer but he is a super nice guy and has loaned it to others that have flat spotted his tires by not adjusting their brake controller properly and tires aren't cheap anymore, I really avoid asking anymore unless I really need it for something special 

I hear ya, I avoid asking anyone for anything lately especially because I don’t have time to reciprocate any favors. Fact is I really don't mind, it’s just been inconvenient and i am sleep deprived and grumpy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loan to either son or haul myself. By the way #2 son has the tandem tilt bed for 2 weeks up north hauling toys I guess...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The best thing to do is put an oddball light plug on it that nobody but you will have. That is a major deterrent I have found. 

Lucky you. Our borrowers are too crafty for that. I would just screw my self 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

most up here run goose neck trailers

our equipment trailer is 5Th wheel at 21,000# so most wont be able to use it

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our tractor club purchased a bumper tow deck over trailer for the purpose of hauling club equipment, raffle tractor, etc. It is also available to club members to use if needed to for say haul their tractor to a parade or show if they do not have one. One member, who really should own his trailer, has been using that clause to the fullest advantage to the point that said trailer is usually residing at his property.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys talk about different plugs or brakes as if that would stop people from borrowing. All a weird plug would accomplish is a plug dragging on the road. I bet 1/3 of the trailers on the road here don’t have fully functional lights. It drives me nuts. 
My dad loaned my trailer to a neighbor once to haul his 4020 in for repairs. It’s a 7000 lb trailer mind you. I bet that was a sight behind his pickup. Neither one of them had a lick of sense that day. What really aggravated me was that I stopped at dad’s to get my trailer and it was gone. Dad says I loaned it to Tony. He had had it well over a week. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Our tractor club purchased a bumper tow deck over trailer for the purpose of hauling club equipment, raffle tractor, etc. It is also available to club members to use if needed to for say haul their tractor to a parade or show if they do not have one. One member, who really should own his trailer, has been using that clause to the fullest advantage to the point that said trailer is usually residing at his property.

Thats a shame that one guy hogs it.Pretty soon he will think he "owns" it and then there will be a problem. If you have club grounds or something it should reside there

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The best thing to do is put an oddball light plug on it that nobody but you will have. That is a major deterrent I have found. 

No one ever checks lights on a trailer!! 
Best thing I found is have an odd hitch. 
Anymore the answer is NO. I worked my butt off to get what I have, you can do the same!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 756puller said:

Just park your trailer like this than no one can borrow it

KIMG0441.JPG

Including me! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rent the trailer. 
Get the paperwork ready for the next time someone wants to borrow the trailer, and tell them with the costs of tires and upkeep you can’t just let it go out without compensation.

If he’s a good friend, he’ll understand. Maybe even buy his own.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

Put vacuum over hydraulic brakes on your truck and trailer!! Not many people have that option on their truck!

I have electric over hydraulic on my flat bed it stops freeloaders also. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I lend to my kids, dats dat, I make sure lights work, bearing packed and the tires are good, its covered when not in use and upkeep is max for turnaround, I use it for a 1000 plus miles a year and make sure it is always ready, never let anyone else use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

No one ever checks lights on a trailer!! 
Best thing I found is have an odd hitch. 
Anymore the answer is NO. I worked my butt off to get what I have, you can do the same!

Having an odd plug stopped my one neighbor from borrowing our round bale trailer. I know he didn’t care about the lights, but not having trailer brakes is tough on a truck. He’s borrowing someone else’s now. Which is fine with me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just don't loan except to a very select few. My next trailer I hope to be a 30k 35 foot... aka to heavy for anything Single rear wheel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, mader656 said:

I just don't loan except to a very select few. My next trailer I hope to be a 30k 35 foot... aka to heavy for anything Single rear wheel

Really? Whats the weight? Up here people don't care about weight to much, lot of truck and campers always looking for meteors.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jacka said:

Thats a shame that one guy hogs it.Pretty soon he will think he "owns" it and then there will be a problem. If you have club grounds or something it should reside there

No club grounds, the trailers home is usually at one of the members business that is centrally located and has space 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...