Friday night HEAT

A friend and coworker is retiring next week. I wanted to make him something for a small gift. He is an avid gardener. He has two gardens and raised beds.  A couple years ago he mentioned a small pointed hoe would be nice for his raised beds. Something like #18 is what I was thinking with a blunt tip.74581464-BDB1-42D9-BE80-D7123B489BBB.jpeg.38089705aef3ce7d7a9f1d7295c658d8.jpeg

So the forge got lit up when I got home. Weather affects how the gas forge runs kind of like a carburetor. The hottest I had ever had it was 2350° But I have never tried to see how hot it will get. Forge welding temps are normally 1900° and up depending on the steel used. Many people claim you cannot forge weld in a gas forge. I have done it several times in this forge that I made from scratch a few years ago and you have all seen in other pics.  Well, the weather outside is 64° with the garage door open to the shop. It was 100° inside. DBABA131-A07E-40CB-92D7-98C533892887.thumb.jpeg.f9b2c1958d371d41aeca595c54465e6a.jpeg

So, I adjusted a few things as I worked and ended up seeing “Error” on the thermocouple readout. It errors at 2500°. I snapped a pic under that but know it went over as I turned it down and as it cooled the temp came back on the readout. 690C0079-9859-4BB2-A231-8D29BA22096D.thumb.jpeg.454b246938c7b0b5e394ea3a0798fef1.jpeg

I plan to use my spare wheat head twist from a couple months ago as the handle. The shaft was round stock hammered square that I hope to put a twist in for decoration.  The pick is totally rough now with no cleanup work. It is piece of rasp hot riveted to the handle stock.  Last pic is what I started with. (Cut top off) 

65CC10CB-5684-4CE7-BC65-4DCD25610EE4.jpeg

9C77A8B1-19BC-4CD5-AFD9-31FF61A48599.jpeg

9ACD1E59-65AA-4AC9-B2A4-60C67A0957DC.jpeg

• Like 10

A gift like that will be a treasure to keep for a lifetime. 

Side note that is one of my favorite garden tools.  One I have is kind of triangle shaped.  It really gets the weeds without a lot of effort.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

A gift like that will be a treasure to keep for a lifetime. 

Side note that is one of my favorite garden tools.  One I have is kind of triangle shaped.  It really gets the weeds without a lot of effort.

Most of them are triangle or arrowhead shaped that I’ve seen. I’m going to leave this sharpened with a 3/4-1” wide face. It should get weeds or do mild tillage work that way to loosen up areas of soil. I’m not totally sure how long I will make the handle but I’m thinking around 18” overall length. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Was that the fam or the fan?😄

Fam as in family but a fan would have helped some also. I have mounted fans but actually left them off today. 

39 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Was that the fam or the fan?😄

I hope for the fam’s sake, he spends some time with a shower first. 

4 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I hope for the fam’s sake, he spends some time with a shower first. 

Good call. I did shower first for the record 😊

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Good call. I did shower first for the record 😊

Speaking for the population as a whole, we appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Dad made a hoe like that after the big head broke off. He welded a sickle section onto the hoe. We used that for years!! But not sure what happened to it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

Dad made a hoe like that after the big head broke off. He welded a sickle section onto the hoe. We used that for years!! But not sure what happened to it.

Grandpa had one that lived in his truck that he used to reach tools at the front of the box. 

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Speaking for the population as a whole, we appreciate it. 

I have a neighbor who hates bathing. Fortunately not a close neighbor.

A friend of mine sprayed him off with a hose once, he was mad as he** about it😂

I don’t care to sweat a little. Heat doesn’t bother me to much luckily. Never had a job that wasn’t hot in the summer.  I normally take a bath every Saturday whether I need it or not 😉

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I don’t care to sweat a little. Heat doesn’t bother me to much luckily. Never had a job that wasn’t hot in the summer.  I normally take a bath every Saturday whether I need it or not 😉

Your wife is one lucky woman for sure. 

• Haha 1

Couple twists for looks.  Hook on the end of the handle to be hung up, not decorative so much. Didn’t want an open loop to catch on his hand during use. 

DD3FB32B-DCFD-4FB1-B699-855C8E35F13E.jpeg

AF863376-C553-4A10-989E-FE58BA450174.jpeg

• Like 4