1977 International 3500A Backhoe

I'm looking at buying this backhoe, it's dead in a field.  I would like to find out where to get the correct oil filter, fuel filters, and the bowl and nut for the bottom of the other fuel filter housing if possible. I haven't located the oil filter, but I haven't really been under it yet.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.  

20220525_153951.jpg

20220525_153946.jpg

I would say that your best bet is to get a parts catalog. You won’t find a dealer that will be able to help you. If that’s not an option, I would pull the filters off and see if you can find some numbers on them. 

• Thanks 1

D239 is a 4 cyl, and a D179 is a 3 cyl.

Assuming D239 is correct(I believe it is) the IH parts book calls for...

Oil filter 3136046R93 or 39080R2  Fleetguard# LF3532 (I run the Fleetguard) WIX# 51231

Fuel filters 3144477R92  x2 supersedes to CNH 84535312 available from Case IH.

Fuel filter bowl 3144478R1 (if glass) supersedes to CNH 73329973GV which is still available from Case IH, or 3144481R1 (if metal) shows questionable availability.

As far as the "nut" you are referring to, the book shows a long bolt coming up from the bottom with a sealing washer, and a nut and sealing washer on top.

Bolt #5 3144482R1 supersedes to CNH 300807 shows still available from Case IH.

Lower sealing washer #4 3144480R1 still available from Case IH.

Upper sealing washer #12 3144474R1 still available from Case IH.

Nut #13 3144473R1 maybe still available from Case IH.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.84a1ed5fc921a0f64ad41c06f1d8cdfa.jpg

Ok guys, I pulled the fuel filter assemblies off.  The glass bowls were chipped, cracked in different spots on both.  I think you can still get replacements from yesterday's tractor and a few other places.  Is there a more modern easier upgrade?  What do you guys make of the photos? Something looks askew on the 2nd one (silver).

20220604_160917.jpg

I think you are correct. The one on the upper left looks like it has a piece of the center broken where the O-ring sits. If I am correct then you will need to replace the filter header.

The good news is that there is a better solution! The filter header(upper filter part in your picture) can be replaced with the type for spin on filters. IH part number 3132491R1 is still available new from Case IH for a mere $289 😕. But if you call around to AG tractor salvage yards you might find a used one cheaper. It fits many IH tractors. I believe the mounting is the same and the banjo bolt connections are too. Just takes x2 3132428R2 (Fleetguard FF214) spin on filters instead of bolts, glass bowls, O-rings, cartridges, and all the little pieces.

1419385187_FuelFiler.thumb.jpg.bd0c0fffc5c5bedf9c93a6568cf6a6cf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok guys, I pulled the fuel filter assemblies off.  The glass bowls were chipped, cracked in different spots on both.  I think you can still get replacements from yesterday's tractor and a few other places.  Is there a more modern easier upgrade?  What do you guys make of the photos? Something looks askew on the 2nd one (silver).

Thanks Binderdan!  Any idea where the stinking oil filter is located.  This thing is only about 6" off the ground (front tires way low and its sunk into the ground currently), I have looked all around it, obviously in the most most common areas more, but no luck as of yet.

Oil filter is located on the opposite side of the engine, laying horizontal right at the frame rail level. I think right behind the dipstick tube.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Ok everyone.   The engine seems to be locked up on this 3500A.  I was surprised to find that it doesn't have glow plugs, just injectors.  I pulled the injectors and filled them up with Marvel Mystery Oil, also pulled the exhaust header and did the same.  Can't seem to find a way to manually turn it over.  There is nothing to grab? 1/2" SOCKET....no hole no bolt.  Any ideas?  I tried to tooth it from the flywheel, only opening is the starter mount hole, no leverage. 

So the guy told me I had put enough work into it ( new starter, new fuel filter housing, new fuel filters and hours of time) I CAN JUST HAVE IT.

So to ad to it being the first engine I have not easily freed and turned over, the tubes are shot in the tires.  

Give me some help and direction please!

20220702_155436.jpg

20220702_155354.jpg

Ok one last question (currently)!

How can I tell if these are tubed (I assume they are) tires or not.  I'm seeing alot of the front replacements advertised as tubeless.   I know in my old trucks, you have to get a different wheel/rim to switch to tubeless. 

TIA!

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys. Need more guidance, 3500A will still not move.  I have soaked this engine with Marvel Mystery Oil, PB blaster diesel mix.  I have tore up my "bar starter" 2 times.  I have the "dump pedal " pushed down with "third hand" while trying to turn the engine over.  I'm spent! 

I have an actual hard copy and a digital copy of service manual and owner's manual. 

Am I missing something?

KOO said he's never had carb cleaner fail to free up an engine, might try that down the holes

I think I would pull the head off and see what you are dealing with. If it looks really bad I’m not sure I would waste too much time on trying to get it freed up. If it is stuck really hard and you are able to get it loose, your luck is much better than mine if it can be made into a good runner.