Fast Food…

I was on a small road trip today. I stopped in the Hardee’s in Trenton, Missouri at 6:30pm today. It took over 15 minutes of me standing at the counter to have my order taken and about another 15 minutes to get the food. Then they came and told me they were out of one thing that I ordered. I felt so terrible for what few employees they had there. They are clearly understaffed and what employees that show up are obviously stressed about the situation. My hat is off to them for doing the best they can. I know it is happening all over the place, but what a nightmare. I honestly wonder how long this will go on? How long before the 24hr restaurant will be open 24hrs again? How I miss having the ability to just “run in and grab something”. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

Week or two ago I swung into Taco Bell after work. I didn’t feel like cooking after a 12 hour shift. Quick and easy. Nope. Half hour in drive threw lane had me upset but not too mad considering the world today. What got me was after, while I was eating, I felt like the little old lady at Wendy’s. “Where’s the beef!”  It was like a lettuce sandwich! Looked at receipt for complaints go to website. Website wasn’t working. Never had time to bother going back on but it will be a long time before I go back. Fewer and fewer fast food joints I feel like going to. 

We stopped at Hog Wild. Local barbecue chain, a couple Sundays ago. Only one person working. Just as fast as it’s ever been. Customers were cleaning tables, but this kid was taking the orders, cooking and everything else. 
I never tip at a fast food place but I did then. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I was on a small road trip today. I stopped in the Hardee’s in Trenton,

You were about 3/4 of a mile from one of the best tenderloins you have ever eaten

28 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

You were about 3/4 of a mile from one of the best tenderloins you have ever eaten

Where’s that at? I will be back in the area when it dries up to plant beans. We may move some machinery up there this week. 

To top it off it isn't cheap anymore either. If I grab a quick bite at McDonald's or subway it will cost over $10.00. Personally the only fast food I will eat now is culvers, I think their food is better.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Where’s that at? I will be back in the area when it dries up to plant beans. We may move some machinery up there this week. 

If you are coming from the west on 6 don't turn right and follow 6 just go north one block to the Uprooted Kitchen. They use Facebook

• Thanks 1

Maybe its different out here but I haven't experienced that type of slow service.  Each place I've went to does have a help wanted sign.  I was at the nearest Arbys last week.  Placed my order and when the gal gave me my total I started to pay her.  She asked if I had any ones since she was running low and I did.  Counted those out and she gave me my cup.  By the time I filled my cup, my order was ready.  The last few times I've been to the local McDonalds I've hardly had time to put the pickup in park going through the drive through.  There are always two people at the Subways around here.  

As a lifelong Nebraska resident, it’s puzzling to me how the state can claim the lowest unemployment numbers in the nation, month after month, yet places like convenience stores and fast food joints are all operating on shortened hours, and/or are drive through only, and they all have signs up apologizing for the inconvenience, but they can’t hire enough help.  What am I missing, or not understanding?  I’ve always despised drive through, just don’t like them.  One day last week I went to Arby’s in Alliance, middle of the afternoon, drive through only, and I had someplace to be.  Only one car ahead of me, yet it took 20 minutes to order and get my food.  I just don’t get it.  Some people, including my wife, don’t agree, but I speculate that a lot of these businesses are choosing to operate this way to cut down on overhead, yet my two plain roast beef sandwiches and an order of fries was over ten dollars.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MirageFlatter said:

As a lifelong Nebraska resident, it’s puzzling to me how the state can claim the lowest unemployment numbers in the nation, month after month, yet places like convenience stores and fast food joints are all operating on shortened hours, and/or are drive through only, and they all have signs up apologizing for the inconvenience, but they can’t hire enough help.  What am I missing, or not understanding?  I’ve always despised drive through, just don’t like them.  One day last week I went to Arby’s in Alliance, middle of the afternoon, drive through only, and I had someplace to be.  Only one car ahead of me, yet it took 20 minutes to order and get my food.  I just don’t get it.  Some people, including my wife, don’t agree, but I speculate that a lot of these businesses are choosing to operate this way to cut down on overhead, yet my two plain roast beef sandwiches and an order of fries was over ten dollars.

Not that long ago Arby’s had the 5 for $5.55. Now you get half as much food for twice the cost. I can’t believe anyone thought it was a good idea to quit their job because they got a $2,000 check or whatever it was, but apparently a lot of people did. What are they living on now? 

5 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Not that long ago Arby’s had the 5 for $5.55. Now you get half as much food for twice the cost. I can’t believe anyone thought it was a good idea to quit their job because they got a $2,000 check or whatever it was, but apparently a lot of people did. What are they living on now? 

Don't hear anything about the Subway $5 footlongs anymore either. Town closest to me, McDonald's and Captain D's are the only 2 fast food joints that still allow indoor dining. Wendy's, Arby's, Taco Bell, and Subway haven't opened the dining rooms. Subway (here) seems to be going by the wayside. Just don't see much activity driving past anymore.

• Like 1

Brother, 2 buddies and I were driving back from the NFMS in Louisville back in February. Stopped at a Hardees at Gas City Ind right off of I-69. Got in there and there was 2 people working. We ended up eating in shifts one guy would get his food, when the next guy's food came out. The guy before was or was almost done. The workers were trying. They just didn't have any help. 

Local logger saws for local sawmill. Log hauler has 4 trucks and today is his last day, been only hauling with one lately as he can't get drivers. Logger gets paid once logs are at sawmill. He said that he has 12+k worth (logging labor value) sitting on landings .... 

Nobody is unaffected by this scenario, just might not realize how you are

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

where are all the engineers and surveyors that we were looking for gone too?  Its a labor pool shortage across the entire job spectrum.   How about fork lift drivers at the local factory in town?  Or general production workers there too?  Or police which we have an opening for in town.

Younger generation isnt having kids and starting families which is my primary motivation to drag myself to work.  If it was just making money for myself, id scale back.   I think alot of people are just scaling back or looking at the opportunities in the market to make a better life for themselves.   we are hiring highschool kids for summer interships in engineering work now where we didnt in the past.  They make way more than mcdonalds and only have to work 30-40 a week with no OT plus they are learning a skill a bit beyond how fast can they process a drivethru order.  Sure they do stupid stuff and make mistakes, but, so did the professionals we hired before.

Fast food industry needs to realize they arent just competing with their own kind when it comes to getting workers,   they are competing with a much broader scope of businesses that are all looking for help.   

Also in town we have a Dairy Queen where the Owner of the dairy queen is there almost EVERY day,   He takes excellent care of his employees and is not short staffed at all.   They can always get a day off when needed, he helps them put some extra for college, they just had employee appreciation week there,  guy is involved in their lives and from what the kids say is like working for family.   Has 0 issue getting help.  Same deal with family burger shack in our neighboring town.   

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I was on a small road trip today. I stopped in the Hardee’s in Trenton, Missouri at 6:30pm today. It took over 15 minutes of me standing at the counter to have my order taken and about another 15 minutes to get the food. Then they came and told me they were out of one thing that I ordered. I felt so terrible for what few employees they had there. They are clearly understaffed and what employees that show up are obviously stressed about the situation. My hat is off to them for doing the best they can. I know it is happening all over the place, but what a nightmare. I honestly wonder how long this will go on? How long before the 24hr restaurant will be open 24hrs again? How I miss having the ability to just “run in and grab something”. 

All of the Hardees around here closed up over the last 3-4 years. One was replaced by a used car lot, one by a pawn shop and one by a WAWA convenience store.  It was odd because the best one folded first and the nastiest one last. Every McDonalds has a line around the building pretty much all day.  The last time I was going to get a biscuit I counted 25 cars ahead of me and didn't add myself to the line.

I stopped at a White Castle for the 1921 Share a meal sliders.  Bun, meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle and onions. I gave the lady our order and she said the meat for the 1921s were still frozen. This was at 12;30-1;00 PM.  I liked to came unglued. Wife said to go on and order some regular cheese burgers and fries and cokes.  When I got home I sent e-mail to White Castle headquarters telling them about my encounter. They sent me a coupon for free meal of my choice and apologized for my inconvenience. Couple weeks later tried again and the manager said the 1921 sliders were on the house. Thanked them and on my way again. As for the time we waited in drive through 15-20 mins.

Hardees, lol. Worst fast food ever. 

But i Do you have a related story.

Got a call one day from the local Hardee’s in Lincoln looking for someone to repair the walk in cooler. 
I avoided these places in the past because they are more often then not a high risk for payment. 
The sweet voice on the other end of the phone convinced me to give her a try. I continued helping them out for around two years, i even took some calls for  Omaha locations and always got paid. I even started dateing the manager of the Lincoln location. Left her house one night about midnight and went home. Got a call the next morning from the restaurant, Have you seen  - - - - ?  No why?  She hasent come into work!  Ok i will go check on her.

Fully furnished Three bedroom ranch with a two car garage, two dogs, 15 year old daughter, lawn mowers , and everything you can think of a normal family would have ALL GONE. Not a trace of anything . 

No one ever saw or herd from her again and the restaurant closed. 

👽👽

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

On an unrelated note, that area also has the cheapest fuel I have seen. $3.95 for unleaded and $4.89 diesel. 

Pretty sad calling this cheap fuel 😱

2 minutes ago, CC_Ranger said:

Lorenzo,

You always have the best stories!

Always entertaining 

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2022 at 3:33 PM, lorenzo said:

Hardees, lol. Worst fast food ever. 

But i Do you have a related story.

Got a call one day from the local Hardee’s in Lincoln looking for someone to repair the walk in cooler. 
I avoided these places in the past because they are more often then not a high risk for payment. 
The sweet voice on the other end of the phone convinced me to give her a try. I continued helping them out for around two years, i even took some calls for  Omaha locations and always got paid. I even started dateing the manager of the Lincoln location. Left her house one night about midnight and went home. Got a call the next morning from the restaurant, Have you seen  - - - - ?  No why?  She hasent come into work!  Ok i will go check on her.

Fully furnished Three bedroom ranch with a two car garage, two dogs, 15 year old daughter, lawn mowers , and everything you can think of a normal family would have ALL GONE. Not a trace of anything . 

No one ever saw or herd from her again and the restaurant closed. 

👽👽

After you, apparently she needed a life change? 😂 Just giving you a hard time. 

• Haha 1