RATS! Literally...

Bucket traps, probably need extra deep ones for rats, that and carry a revolver with rat shot wherever you go. 

• Like 1

Rats are all about food and shelter so try to limit their access to either. Don't give the goats more than they will eat so there aren't "leftovers". Keep all feed in metal barrels with lids. Don't let piles of manure/straw or junk build up. And get a good couple of rat dogs. The best I ever had were 2 brothers of hound/lab parentage. I bought some square bales once that were infested with rats. As I was unloading them into the barn, the rats started coming out. Jasper and Spot caught all of them.  Also, a 2 ended smaller hav a heart trap wrapped in rat wire and baited with peanut butter will catch them. I use a .22 with rat shot for the next part. I have also used a 3 point hitch cone type spreader with the gate closed, some feed sprinkled in the bottom and the inside waxed. Just lean a board against the side for them to go up and jump in. I agree that the poison doesn't seem to work like it used to.  I try to alternate types to decrease resistance and put it in a 2' piece of PVC pipe with a bolt through the middle so the dogs don't get to it.  You picked a great name, btw. Welcome!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PettiGoat Junction said:

My goats, Fergie and J-lo, along with their brood, have brought rats onto the homeplace

Once rats find a place they like, they are very hard to get rid of. 

When you finally do and to keep them from showing up again.

Have a firm talk with Fergie and J-lo about who they hang out with when they go to town on Saturday Night!

😉     😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

3 point hitch cone type spreader with the gate closed, some feed sprinkled in the bottom and the inside waxed. Just lean a board against the side for them to go up and jump in.

I like this idea. 

Im a bait fan.  Bait blocks inside bait stations around all your buildings and in them as needed too.  It is always better to maintain the stations on a schedule year round then wait until you have a problem.  Either way they will take the bait.  It just takes time.  They don't like to try new things for awhile.  You want a single consumption bait.  The best you can get.  I have to look what we currently have but it was north of $100 a bucket.

Sometimes rat size snap traps and glue boards can work but they require a lot of maintenance.

Good advice from others too.  Keep the feed clean up for sure.

Counter. Thimet. Any organophosphate insecticide.  Just make dang sure NOTHING else can get at it, it takes about a teaspoon full to kill an animal the size of a horse. 

2 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

You want some bait that says it’s not for sale in California. That’s how you know it works. 

just installed a bunch of truck parts,not legal for sale shipping  to fruit and nuts central,as eating them will cause cancer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

You want some bait that says it’s not for sale in California. That’s how you know it works. 

That's why we "imported" that wolf out of Oregon last year. The poor little bogger made it from the Sierras  and across to the coastal Santa Lucas only to end up flattened trying to check out LA. So we are stuck with the lazy big kitties that only take a bicyclist every 5 or 10 years.  But the "rats" just keep on multiplying. 

Sorry for running your serous question off the tracks PettyGoat Junction. I like your sig line or what ever the proper name would be the "anything that gives me a feed bill" is true of many of us. My son who went city, married a surfer girl. Who has fallen for hair goats as she is into home grown wool. And he still has to mow weeds as her goats don't eat grass very much. And they have the rat issue as well. I think their mine Aussie dog is helping.

• Haha 2

The ubiquitous Prop 65 warning. Every building and just about every product has the label, which defeats the purpose of warning labels. People see this BS sign everywhere so will ignore an actual hazardous product label.

Dissnet prop 65.jpg

Rats will burrow.  I find their holes and fill with bait and then block them off.  Check daily until the bait doesn't disappear anymore.  

I stop everything I'm doing if I happen to find rats taking up residence on my farm.  They spread fast and are destructive SOB's.  

29 minutes ago, Siefring Red Farmer said:

Rats will burrow.  I find their holes and fill with bait and then block them off.  Check daily until the bait doesn't disappear anymore.  

I stop everything I'm doing if I happen to find rats taking up residence on my farm.  They spread fast and are destructive SOB's.  

....ever thought about a trip to your Capitol ??:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, mike newman said:

....ever thought about a trip to your Capitol ??:rolleyes:

Mike

Thin ice Michael 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Thin ice Michael 

touche, Seth...

actually ,I made that comment because our glorious leader has been given a meeting with President    Biden....., with breathless  excitement,its headline news here....

President Biden will wonder what he has struck......as he gets to grips with this  vain -glorious   ''leader'' of our liitle country

She has just ''wowed '' the Harvard fraternity....so we are informed.....

Mike

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, mike newman said:

touche, Seth...

actually ,I made that comment because our glorious leader has been given a meeting with President    Biden....., with breathless  excitement,its headline news here....

President Biden will wonder what he has struck......as he gets to grips with this  vain -glorious   ''leader'' of our liitle country

She has just ''wowed '' the Harvard fraternity....so we are informed.....

Mike

Ever visit a nursing home? There is always someone who can chat with you easily. After a while you realize you are having 2 different conversations. I suspect it will be much that way😉

we had a big rat problem and i asked a pest control guy and he told me that he uses this [ TakeDown Soft Bait ] so got a bag and put it in bait stations and kept them stocked every day for about 2 weeks and they stopped eating and we seen no more rats