For the European farmers......

dads706

Why are the front mount 3-point hitches popular in Europe? I don't think I've ever seen one in the USA, but I've seen them in Germany and Belgium, and they seem to be common when you see a picture of a European tractor?     Just curious.

I can’t speak for the European’s, but around here they are commonly used for dry bean cutters that knife the plants out of the soil.  We also have a neighbor that use to have one on a 1086 that they hung a double round bale fork on, along with one on the rear three point for picking bales.  This was before they upgraded to a round bale retriever.  I’ve also seen dozer blades adapted to hang on a front mounted three point.

• Like 1

I have an NOS OEM front 3 point that I added to my MX170. Run the crap out of it every fall. Front 3 points are becoming more common in the USA. 

I have a V plow for snow that mounts to the front 3 point also. Works real good as we don’t even get enough snow to need it anymore. 

7591EFBD-7808-4B3B-8FCF-DFFFA72E2DFE.jpeg

• Like 1

I want one for mounting a blower, but alas, my biggest machine is too small.

Fire away. I know I teed that one up for you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MirageFlatter said:

I’ve also seen dozer blades adapted to hang on a front mounted three point.

Opposite of that I guess.

A long time ago I made mounts on my 966 dozer blade frame(blade off) to mount a 3pt bale fork to carry one extra bale out to feed.

Rectangular tubing held the lower arms (made my own out of 1x4 solid rectangle stock and welded Cat II ball and socket on the ends) and I just used a chain for the top link. 

Still on the dozer frame, guess I could go get pics again. Haven't used it for that for awhile. 

Damn I hate when I can "see" the picture of me using it but can't find it in my messy office😡

• Like 1

A few guys run triple mowers like this around here mostly on fendt tractors.

Screenshot_20220523-223336.png

• Like 1

We have one we added to the one 8950 to put a 4,600 lb block of concrete up there and then the front tires loaded with beet juice to lift the 30' mower we custom made for the rear three point hitch . One came on the MX 230 we have but I removed it to install the Q990 loader . They are handy for things. Neighbors MX 120 has one and PTO and he will probably push his snow blower around on it

Screenshot_20220507-140629.png

• Like 2

The front 3 point became popular around the 70s to 80s in Europe but there where companies in the 1950s that where testing them in small numbers like Porsche tractors and Buhrer tractors (in Switzerland) 

Mowing and loading green feed in one pass was one idea behind it. 

I was told that European farm equipment has very strict width requirements on any public road,3 meters i believe,that is why you never see duals on their tractors. Now i am just guessing here, but perhaps that is why they add a second smaller implement to the front hitch,to cover more ground and stay under width.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

I was told that European farm equipment has very strict width requirements on any public road,3 meters i believe,that is why you never see duals on their tractors. Now i am just guessing here, but perhaps that is why they add a second smaller implement to the front hitch,to cover more ground and stay under width.

That is my impression as well. 

16 hours ago, KWRB said:

I want one for mounting a blower, but alas, my biggest machine is too small.

Fire away. I know I teed that one up for you.

I believe you are saying your front attachment is bigger than the device it was intended for?

• Haha 1

I seriously think that a front 3 point combined with front pto, would be the ticket for several different activities.  Blowing snow would definitely be one of them.  I also think there are times when a front mounted brush mower would be better than rear mount as you have to drive over everything first with a rear mounted.

• Like 1

Front hitch is used for a lot of different purposes. 

Some only use it to hook up a front weight. 

When sowing or planting it's used for soil preparing (harrow, front press).

Front mower is also quite common.

In some areas it's used for a topper when harvesting sugar beet.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:57 PM, from H to 80 said:

You can get an exemption from the 3 meter rules. Also duals still in use in Europe, but are less common since wider tyres and intergrated tyre pressure systems.

7 hours ago, jordi 1455 said:

You can get an exemption from the 3 meter rules. Also duals still in use in Europe, but are less common since wider tyres and intergrated tyre pressure systems.

depends where in Europe ya'r from, where I was from duals are legal so are three meter mowers lol

mid 1970s Aebi came out with its Terratrac with front 3 point for hill and mountain farmers

395476356_AebiTT772.thumb.jpg.27bf2603b1f63c0d726390b4d420e82b.jpg

749094787_AebiTT77.thumb.jpg.9551c9a81ee182af8ddb9825f1b68950.jpg

• Like 1

Wiesel tractor also Swiss made by the same guy that manufactured the Schilter

I knew there were some European RP members that had better answers. My only expertise came from a German foreign exchange student, that i talked with about it. I believe they required license plates on the tractors as well ?

4 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

I knew there were some European RP members that had better answers. My only expertise came from a German foreign exchange student, that i talked with about it. I believe they required license plates on the tractors as well ?

Yes thats right, and since this year also here in the Netherlands thanks to the unellected EU bureacrats.

30 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

@jordi 1455 Is there some line of thought behind license plates on tractors other than just another way to generate revenue?

when I still lived in Switzerland (none EU member state for those that don't know lol) even bicycles had a licence plate I reckon anything that goes on the road (not sure if its still the case now with licence plates for bikes, but in my day ya got a sticker from the current year and put it on a red surface before that every year ya had to get a steel plat with the year stamped into it)