1586 at auction. Is it worth messing with

Tmtbob

having trouble posting the link but it’s about 50 miles away from me. 
Has some flat tires and says it needs clutch work. Looks like it’s been sitting for a few years. Think it has closed center hydraulics but I could be wrong. It’s online only bid and is at around 2100. I know it will sell for more when the time winds down. 
  My thoughts on it are it would be handy to have another horse to use around if I could get by without splitting it right away. If it needs a clutch it’s probably gonna be sitting for a while before I’ll have time to mess with it. Or I could part it out

With no pictures to judge by for us to see, don’t pay more for it than what it’s scrap value would be. 

Still can’t get a link posted so screenshots of the add will have to work

1A9B8699-D566-46CB-ACBA-38F0028CA15B.jpeg

AE1025ED-3A5C-4FCE-802A-DFD88DE8BB1F.jpeg
I noticed the ta is pulled. That kinda bothers me if that’s how they ran it

I have an 856 with a whole laundry list of problems and its been running a mixer wagon that way for 9 years.  TA pulled might mean it has MCV troubles as a good TA sprag will still drag the tractor around if the pressure supply to the TA is AWOL.

From the pics, pretty straight old girl. 

Something to work with for sure. 

• Like 3

My own personal experience is that if you are looking for a project, go for it. If you are buying it to try and save money, then no way on earth will that ever happen. There’s too many unknowns, and they will add up fast. If you knew the history, then maybe. Parting out tractors is a lot of work. You’ll end up with 1/2 or more of the tractor that is difficult to sell. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

My own personal experience is that if you are looking for a project, go for it. If you are buying it to try and save money, then no way on earth will that ever happen. There’s too many unknowns, and they will add up fast. If you knew the history, then maybe. Parting out tractors is a lot of work. You’ll end up with 1/2 or more of the tractor that is difficult to sell. 

My problem is I’ve got to many projects to finish now. They all sounded like good ideas when I thought of them though. I’m just finally getting smart enough to realize I don’t have time for things like I think I do. 
  Thanks for the replies and opinions and if it doesn’t get much interest I might still try for it but hopefully they start bidding so I don’t have anything to explain to my wife. 
  Farmallfan thanks for posting that

Some of my best tractors were purchased as projects. 1586 we had tops the list . We got it needing transmission work and put 1st and second gear in it and put 20+k hours on it then 

29 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Here in the east, it would  have been 2x that. If not 3x

I would say 3x as it sits.

Did not get it. I sat down in front of the tv and was keeping an eye on it but I fell asleep. Woke up 20 minutes to late so I don’t have to mess with it or think about what all it needs. 
  Was disappointed to see it went that cheap but now I don’t have to worry about finding the time for that to

Years ago, knew a guy that was in the market for a couple tractors, didn’t want a 15 due to its reputation. Bought a 1466, and a 706. Dealer then pressed him pretty hard, offered a 1566 so cheap he couldn’t turn it down. Dealer told him don’t hook anything behind that 15 that you wouldn’t hook behind your 1466, then you should be fine.

2 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

I feel it was a good thing you fell asleep

I think so to cause I would of bid on it and probably spent to much. 

I have a cousin I grew up with that’s working on Groendyke ranch that’s in the area and I called him to see what he knew about it. He said the old man worked at the coop and passed away a couple years back but didn’t know he had a tractor. He called a friend of his to see what he could find out. His friend said the old man worked for his dad when he was a kid so he’s known him most of his life and didn’t know he had a tractor.
  Since those guys didn’t know anything about it I lost some interest They didn’t even know about the auction and when I told my cousin who’s name was on the sale he asked if there was any guns in it. Said the old man had a huge arsenal