Vehicle poll

Lazy WP

Do any of you guys drive a late model F150, 4 door, 4x4? How about a Kia Soul? Maybe your wife drives a higher end cross over? Just curious and I will explain later. 

My brother has a 22’ f150 3.5? Eco boost. Its a nice truck to drive for sure.  No Kias here, as for crossovers, I think of them like cross dressers, just fine if that makes you feel pretty, but don’t do it in my driveway.  

• Haha 2

My newest vehicle is a 2005 cobalt made by Chevrolet. It is currently sitting behind the barn waiting for the installation of its fourth transmission.

Besides that there is the 2002 Yukon with over 320,000 miles on the counter. A 2001 Chevy Tahoe, I have a 94 Chevy half ton that serves as my plow truck that I could put on the road if needed. I also have a 93 s-10 that is a work in progress.

Wife has a 2019 Kia Sorento if you want to know about that. 

Definitely not on my list of favorites vehicles. 

For myself I have purchased 5 new trucks and two cars from the big three manufacturers within the last 25 years. I used to think I would be all domestic forever, until I met my wife and my in-laws, and they had Toyotas. Now we have had three Toyotas and three hondas for my wife and my daughters to drive. Tell you guys what…. I’m going to have a Tundra eventually.

Oh, my two most recent vehicles were F150s. Which is why I felt I could jump in here with my opinion. 

I also have a good coworker of 15 years that has always had higher end SUVs, last few were Highlanders and pilots, she recently switched to the biggest Hyundai, whatever that is, (50k ish) the model name is escaping me right now, she’s has had it about a year and really likes it.  I have another coworker that was late coming back from lunch on Friday because their 2019 domestic SUV was 2 quarts low on oil and started blinking warning lights on the dash.  Also a higher and SUV, 50,000 miles on it,  -2 quarts.

Son has a 2016 Kia Sorento and it's been trouble free. His wife has a 2021 Kia Telluride replacing the Sorento as it's been such a good vehicle. The Telluride has been trouble free also but they maintain vehicles as I do which is probably overkill, but the next owner is a scrap yard citing rust putting them down.

Prior to those they both drove Saturn Vue vehicles. Both went to scrap due to rust issues but still running.

I drive a 96 Dodge one ton purchased new and about half rust, half steel. Wife drives a 2006 Nissan Altima also purchased new. Both are worn out and about to go scrap citing rust. Another 37K miles on the Altima, (300K)  and that is what will happen as the front upper strut mounts are about to punch through. Floorboards are gone under the driver's feet but sheet metal and rivets keep the air and water out.....  Neither leak, burn, nor consume anything but gasoline; the truck in copious amounts. Neither have ceased to run, or stranded us anyplace so probably qualifies as "good" vehicles.

Daughter has a 2016 Ford Explorer she wishes had never been purchased replacing the 2010 Toyota Corolla which is still retained. Growing family necessitated the upsize. Electrical nightmares and a water leaker which has been apparently unable to be repaired by three dealers. She is looking to trade this one off but not decided on what yet.     

14 minutes ago, Troll said:

Son has a 2016 Kia Sorento and it's been trouble free. His wife has a 2021 Kia Telluride replacing the Sorento as it's been such a good vehicle. The Telluride has been trouble free also but they maintain vehicles as I do which is probably overkill, but the next owner is a scrap yard citing rust putting them down.

Prior to those they both drove Saturn Vue vehicles. Both went to scrap due to rust issues but still running.

I drive a 96 Dodge one ton purchased new and about half rust, half steel. Wife drives a 2006 Nissan Altima also purchased new. Both are worn out and about to go scrap citing rust. Another 37K miles on the Altima, (300K)  and that is what will happen as the front upper strut mounts are about to punch through. Floorboards are gone under the driver's feet but sheet metal and rivets keep the air and water out.....  Neither leak, burn, nor consume anything but gasoline; the truck in copious amounts. Neither have ceased to run, or stranded us anyplace so probably qualifies as "good" vehicles.

Daughter has a 2016 Ford Explorer she wishes had never been purchased replacing the 2010 Toyota Corolla which is still retained. Growing family necessitated the upsize. Electrical nightmares and a water leaker which has been apparently unable to be repaired by three dealers. She is looking to trade this one off but not decided on what yet.     

I see you talk of rust ending your vehicles life, then I see you are into antique trucks, are the trucks refurbished? And were the eastern  roads not so inundated with salt and brine in days gone by? I know the old vehicles were stronger steel but rust never sleeps and it takes a lot to stay on top of corrosion over here, talking with vt and a few others its a biitch for you guys to even try and keep up let alone forget about it.

19 F-150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost 4x4.....29.5k miles......great truck.

There are lots of KIAs in the rental fleet and they seem to run just fine. I'm sure that doesn't answer your question. I had a Soul a few weeks ago and it was as good as any generic automobile. Personally, I think they're ugly, especially when painted in that air-sickness green color, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Even the Toyota's can have problems

I know some one who has a 3 year old Corolla needs a head.

It has 40K on it Toyota won't warranty it because it's over the 36K.

Fortunately for her they roped her into buying an extended warranty when she bought the car and that is covering it 

6 hours ago, Dasnake said:

I see you talk of rust ending your vehicles life, then I see you are into antique trucks, are the trucks refurbished? And were the eastern  roads not so inundated with salt and brine in days gone by? I know the old vehicles were stronger steel but rust never sleeps and it takes a lot to stay on top of corrosion over here, talking with vt and a few others its a biitch for you guys to even try and keep up let alone forget about it.

For the most part, yes, the trucks are somewhat refurbished. These also stay inside a good portion of their existence. Most are not from the "salt belt" of this country, but rather out west from a much dryer climate. Two of my antique Mack R model trucks are eastern variants and need cab replacements. I have those but not done the swaps yet. The cars and personal vehicles over the years are not kept inside and condensation deteriorates them rapidly.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

There are lots of KIAs in the rental fleet and they seem to run just fine. I'm sure that doesn't answer your question. I had a Soul a few weeks ago and it was as good as any generic automobile. Personally, I think they're ugly, especially when painted in that air-sickness green color, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My coworkers wife has a couple year old Kia Soul. He calls it "my wifes ugly car". They also have a year old Hyundai Santa Fe. No problems that I know of. He's a funny guy, though. Probably the best mechanic I've ever known but  keeps newer cars and buys all the extended warranty stuff he can.  My vehicles aren't noteworthy except to say they are all old, paid for and need occasional work. The latest is an 89 Camry wagon that sat in my neighbors woods for 10 years. I needed something with better fuel mileage and he was tired of looking at it.

• Like 1

I am not sure you guys that are driving the F150s fit my generic profile. 
I have compiled a list of poorest, aggressive, non caring drivers and the vehicles involved. 
A jacked up F150, is almost always going to challenge a 80000 pound semi. It’s big or little brothers won’t, but the 150 will. 
The driver of a Kia Soul must think that they are driving a Mini Cooper! But they don’t have any of the performance enhancing options and generally are looking to get munched by a big truck. 
If you come across a gal driving a say, Mercedes, BMW, or heaven forbid a Range Rover, those gals are entitled to every inch of the highway, and you better bow and get out of her way. Now if she can somehow get military or National Guard plates on said vehicle and add a handicapped parking permit to it, you are totally at their mercy. 

• Haha 4

My buddy hauled tomatoes out of FL to Boston

He had just gotten a new Superliner at the time and asked me if I wanted to take a ride so I did.  

Had to deliver in the city the appointment was at 9AM so he had to drive the Southeast expressway at rush hour.

He was on the air horns half the time

The Citiots just don't get it that space you leave between the truck and car in front is so you MIGHT be able to stop the 80K

And not us being nice and letting you in  

Just hauled the '17 Suburban 40 miles to the dealer, with transmission issues.............

Got a feeling this could be spendy....

DANG, I shoulda bit on the extended warranty offer...:angry:

Mike

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, mikem said:

Just hauled the '17 Suburban 40 miles to the dealer, with transmission issues.............

Got a feeling this could be spendy....

DANG, I shoulda bit on the extended warranty offer...:angry:

Mike

Idk, a 4k extended warranty that you will end up having to fight about anyway or  maybe or maybe not a 2500.00 trans? Still sounds like a win