What Critter is this. Large Domestic or small tiger

Pid 1831

I have caught this critter harrassing my kids rabbits on a wildlife camera last night.

Is it

A. A WILD cat that has been illegally released or has escaped?

B. A large domestic Cat.

Or

Ç. A Half Fox - half cat frankenstein critter?

18 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

The rule of multiple choice is always guess C 

Unless one of the choices is Pacific Ocean 🤣🤣🤣

Large domestic is my vote also. Whether or not it becomes a target is directly proportional to how much harassment it does (for me)

• Haha 1

Someone’s over fed house cat. Fur is too clean to a feral cat. It’s possible a couple generations ago, there was a bobcat in it’s linage.

Spoke to all my neighbours within about three mile.

7 houses.

And none have a cat that matches the description.

Spoke to the man who runs the pheasant shoot here and he has a live fox trap that he will drop off to see what we can catch.

He happened to alsospeak to the Rural Crime Policeman and apparently there is a problem with people illegally releasing  wild cats when they cant look after them or they become too much trouble.

So we will see

• Like 1

I agree that it looks like a Maine Coon cat. Huge cats that originated in the state of Maine. They're kitten-like, sort of like a Labrador dog stays puppy-like. Someone's pet that roams the night.

My Doctor had one for years, it was a 22# large kitten all its' life.

I had a feral kitten, when it got grown it would be gone for weeks and then come home begging to be let in the house. Once I gave up on her and removed the litterbox and her stuff, she came back.  I assume they will  roam for many miles and claim the whole territory.

Fox trap set up now.

I'll  let you know what we catch?

If we catch anything besides my dog 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2022 at 11:44 AM, oleman said:

My Doctor had one for years, it was a 22# large kitten all its' life.

I had a feral kitten, when it got grown it would be gone for weeks and then come home begging to be let in the house. Once I gave up on her and removed the litterbox and her stuff, she came back.  I assume they will  roam for many miles and claim the whole territory.

Growing up we had a tom cat like that, Gone for weeks at a time, than show up for awhile. I would think this kind of behavior more common in tom's than females.

Well I caught it.

But......

I tried using a 28lb  spring balance to measure the pull required to open cage when it shut.

I tried boucing it with the balance and the pull is significantly more than i could measure with the balance.

I did manage to open it once by hamd if the lock hadn't  closed all the way but  significant force and violent jerking of door was required.

If you slow video right down you can see the cage distort significantly.

What are your thoughts.

Does it not have a latch that will keep that from happening?  I know the live trap we have will not allow that sort of escape.