My hat is off to All you hardcore mechanics

hobbyfarm

Had a bearing go out on the discbine conditioner.  It was a fight but I got it done.  I applaud you guys that does this every day.  I'm sure you learn tricks after awhile but still some things aren't easy.

A combination of heating it dull red hot and a gear puller got it done.  Harder then it looks for an amateur.IMG_20220521_175705.thumb.jpg.9d1cd9998120c966cce2c87b26904a50.jpg

KIMG1435.JPG

KIMG1439.JPG

• Like 7

Tips and tricks. Usually with a bearing that far gone you can remove everything but the inner race on the shaft. If there's not much of a fire danger you can torch off the inner race by blowing the slag at a 90 degree angle to the shaft. If you go slow, but quick you'll never even knick the shaft. Only need to torch off the "top", the heat will expand the remaining race parts and you can slide it right off.

• Like 3

Hesston ? If so they have a cast housing bearings available that last much better

6 hours ago, bitty said:

Hesston ? If so they have a cast housing bearings available that last much better

CIH 8312.  I'm not sure of the lineage but very much the same as Hesston.  Zimmermans sold me an agco packaged bearing.IMG_20220521_180051.thumb.jpg.b473115d88f135c32fdc05014b226749.jpg

Hope to keep this thing going a few more years.  Im guessing it has a lot of acres through it.  I've had it about 3 years.  

9 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Tips and tricks. Usually with a bearing that far gone you can remove everything but the inner race on the shaft. If there's not much of a fire danger you can torch off the inner race by blowing the slag at a 90 degree angle to the shaft. If you go slow, but quick you'll never even knick the shaft. Only need to torch off the "top", the heat will expand the remaining race parts and you can slide it right off.

Thanks for the tip.  All that was left was the inner race and retainer.  My torch time is limited.  I was kind of scared that if I mess up that piece of shaft I am trouble.  Right or wrong cleaned things up with fine sand paper so the new would go on.

18 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Thanks for the tip.  All that was left was the inner race and retainer.  My torch time is limited.  I was kind of scared that if I mess up that piece of shaft I am trouble.  Right or wrong cleaned things up with fine sand paper so the new would go on.

A little sleeve retainer always gives added confidence. 

7 hours ago, bitty said:

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

CIH 8312.  I'm not sure of the lineage but very much the same as Hesston.  Zimmermans sold me an agco packaged bearing.IMG_20220521_180051.thumb.jpg.b473115d88f135c32fdc05014b226749.jpg

Hope to keep this thing going a few more years.  Im guessing it has a lot of acres through it.  I've had it about 3 years.  

Pretty sure it’s a New Holland built unit…

13 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Pretty sure it’s a New Holland built unit…

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

I'm confident that it is Heston lineage. We had a 8315 and a dc515 and they were both Heston. Picture of the back would confirm my thoughts

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bitty said:

I'm confident that it is Heston lineage. We had a 8315 and a dc515 and they were both Heston. Picture of the back would confirm my thoughts

I just researched it, you are correct. Heston built this unit. 
The similarities to a New Holland 1431 is why I thought it was their design.

23 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I just researched it, you are correct. Heston built this unit. 
The similarities to a New Holland 1431 is why I thought it was their design.

Fold up end guards for the hesston cutterhead. I actually liked those 15'  Hestons we had a lot. Our main problems were they were well used and the conditioner bearings were an issue because the rolls were out of balance from too many rocks through it. The assist roller was the worst for beat up

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Fold up end guards for the hesston cutterhead. I actually liked those 15'  Hestons we had a lot. Our main problems were they were well used and the conditioner bearings were an issue because the rolls were out of balance from too many rocks through it. The assist roller was the worst for beat up

You mean the hoods? 1431’s are the same

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

You mean the hoods? 1431’s are the same

No, end hood folds up the side of the Heston and front hoods fold up like the NH does . NH has solid sides. I prefer the NH shielding and the Heston drivetrain and cutterbar

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I use a cut off wheel

Get down close to the shaft and split it with a chisel 

I’ve done it with a BFH and hit it like you’re mad at it! Wrap it with an old rag so you don’t have shrapnel flying at you

• Like 1

Almost looks like inner race isn't snug but might be picture?

Ive been DIY ever since I had to, sometimes it wasn't pretty and people around me learned some new words, but my hat was ALWAYS doffed to the professional, kudos also.

Only pictures of the back of the machine that I have.  It is tucked into the shed now.

KIMG0534.thumb.JPG.6a7f15136a32f780ae133bc4296df7f4.JPGKIMG0534.thumb.JPG.6a7f15136a32f780ae133bc4296df7f4.JPG

KIMG0386.JPG

• Thanks 1

Definitely Hesston