Finally my 1206 Resurrection

Hello All,

I've been lurking here for years and absorbing the info I learn here. Now, just for fun I thought I'd share my progress on my 1206.

First I'll give some back story. Around the age of 7 or 8 (1981-82) I was riding along with my dad in the cab of his 1026 plowing some hilly land we rented. The farm across the fence line was run by my god-father. He was out working his field with his 1206. Open station, duals, and that straight pipe stack puffing away as he climbed his hills. I knew at that young age I wanted one. Fast forward 10ish years. As a senior in High school, I needed a project for shop class. My god-fathers 1206 had been sitting in a field for about 3 years with the MCV and misc parts in 5 gal pails. It seems it had broke down and after inspection, it was found the gear for the hydraulics on the main shaft was shot. He wasn't interested in splitting the tractor in the field and had no shop to work in so it sat. I told him I'd take it to school and do the work if he could get me the parts as I needed them. Done! The 12 was put back to work until he sold it off at his farm auction. I was crushed when I heard it got sold. I didn't even know he was having an auction. I know who bought the tractor and still owns it now. He is a neighbor of mine that I get along with very well. So, I am on the long list of people waiting for him to sell it.

I couldn't wait any more so I started watching c-list and auctions for my own 12. Turns out one popped up half way across the country that I was the first to call on. It had been sitting in a fence row for 20+ years but it ran and drove. I hooked the trailer and rolled out 5am the morning of Good Friday 2017. The wife and I arrived at the spot early Saturday morning. We met with the daughter of the previous owner who had passed away. She didn't know exactly what she had but the neighbors had told her it was very a desirable tractor. She was great and we loaded up, headed for home, and I unloaded it Easter morning.

Here's the pictures that were in the ad when it was listed. Yup. I drove half way across the country to spend my money after seeing these. I had been bit bad all those years ago. I'll add more later on and share my progress. I hope you all enjoy.

Thanks, Dennis

00T0T_715gqHjCSG9_1200x900.jpg

imagejpeg_0_3.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_3.jpg

imagejpeg_4.jpg

• Like 18

Matching rear tires I like to see . Looks like a great one to start with

I'm sure @red_reaper would like the serial number. He has been tracking 1206 serial numbers. Welcome to the forum!

BJ

• Like 1

Okay, so, a little more on my 1206.

When I got a hold of the gal selling the tractor, she told me her father had bought it from the bank as a repo. Seems when he got it, it was a non-runner. After he left it sitting in a fence row for more than two decades, A neighbor who worked for Caterpillar gave him enough crap to get him going on the project. Said neighbor was able to help him get parts and perform some of the work along with the owner and the owners brother. It was reported to me that they did clutch, T/A, hydraulic pump, and an overhaul. I don't know. It's possible I suppose but the gaskets and such all look original to me. Whatever. It was a 1206 that ran and it was in my price range.

I had to jump start it when I got there but it drove up on the trailer under its own power. After strapping it down we walked the property (over 100 acres) that was littered with literally hundreds of unfinished projects from an IH half track to a MINT Studebaker survivor pick up looking for the parts that were missing from the 1206. Saw a lot of cool stuff but no luck on the parts hunt.

IMG_20170414_063010546_HDR.thumb.jpg.d2ce5986edc8d5e18698a64c12b96b0f.jpg

5 AM Friday morning. All fueled up and just rolling out.

IMG_20181013_161914.thumb.jpg.64039fa6d83b96821ecc04792afca1ec.jpg

The Mrs. got bored on the 17 hour drive and crocheted me this coozy for when we are on tractor rides.

IMG_20170415_133618759.thumb.jpg.c4a3c131570a77c66bd66fcdf9404e38.jpg

After a long day of parts hunting, its time to make the drive back home. I pulled off what was left of the stack to clear the covered bridges in the area and taped off the manifold so the turbo wouldn't spin without oil supply from the road wind. Was it overkill? What do you guys do?

IMG_20170416_161431020.thumb.jpg.3f86c0ef96ebf2449733400ff137f46c.jpg

Once we arrived back home Easter Sunday 9 AM, I backed MY big tractor in the shed next to Dads big tractor. 

IMG_20170416_161447852_HDR.thumb.jpg.e5ab163c1fce75be621a81f5a757f5e6.jpg

The rear tires on the MX240 make those 18.4-38 on the 12 look puny and the mismatched tires up front drive me nuts!

The goal for this old gal is not to restore it but to resurrect it. Make sure everything works as it should and more importantly as I need it to work. So. Nope. I have no plans for an automotive paint job with 9 coats of clear. Far too many leaks to put any paint on it now. Besides, I like her in her overalls. I don't want to leave the first two turns out in the hay field because I was afraid of a scratch from a tree branch. That being said, I'm leaving the dented up fenders with the 26 holes drilled in and the welded up cracks on there because it's the original set with no grab handle on the right. I've looked VERY close at the hood to see if the Turbo stickers were painted over. Can't tell. Maybe a little rub and shine to see if they are under there but I'm in no hurry to make it pretty.

Thanks for the welcome guys. More later.

Dennis

• Like 7

Too bad no pics of his other treasures, I've got a buddy that is a Studebaker lover, 17 hrs is a long day, the turbo part has been discussed many times personally I see no point in it but for the time it takes it removes any doubt

• Like 1

Sorry. No pics of his other treasures. I will dig a little deeper on my old phone. This fella had a thing for bull dozers and school buses for sure. If he didn't have 50 dozers, he didn't have one not including the dismantled ones. 50 plus buses. Each one piled floor to ceiling, front to back with parts from dismantled projects. There has to be more pictures somewhere because I found a cast iron grill for a dozer (IH) leaning against a tree. It had to be more than 6 feet high and nearly that wide. I thought I took a picture of it. There were three Farmall H's and an F14 dismantled and piled in a box truck. Same went for dismantled dozers. Semi van trailers full of them. I don't know how many. There were 20 plus tractors. Case, Oliver, IH, Allis, even a Hart Parr. 

IMG_20220528_105101480.thumb.jpg.f3f706f5473c64e3fd878a71df0dc45c.jpg

I tripped on this cool Oldsmobile Super Rocket air cleaner in the woods and she told me to take it home.

I could have spent weeks walking those hills. My wife spent a good while in the house too with all the antiques.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 10:00 PM, Dzldenny said:

Okay, so, a little more on my 1206.

When I got a hold of the gal selling the tractor, she told me her father had bought it from the bank as a repo. Seems when he got it, it was a non-runner. After he left it sitting in a fence row for more than two decades, A neighbor who worked for Caterpillar gave him enough crap to get him going on the project. Said neighbor was able to help him get parts and perform some of the work along with the owner and the owners brother. It was reported to me that they did clutch, T/A, hydraulic pump, and an overhaul. I don't know. It's possible I suppose but the gaskets and such all look original to me. Whatever. It was a 1206 that ran and it was in my price range.

I had to jump start it when I got there but it drove up on the trailer under its own power. After strapping it down we walked the property (over 100 acres) that was littered with literally hundreds of unfinished projects from an IH half track to a MINT Studebaker survivor pick up looking for the parts that were missing from the 1206. Saw a lot of cool stuff but no luck on the parts hunt.

IMG_20170414_063010546_HDR.thumb.jpg.d2ce5986edc8d5e18698a64c12b96b0f.jpg

5 AM Friday morning. All fueled up and just rolling out.

IMG_20181013_161914.thumb.jpg.64039fa6d83b96821ecc04792afca1ec.jpg

The Mrs. got bored on the 17 hour drive and crocheted me this coozy for when we are on tractor rides.

IMG_20170415_133618759.thumb.jpg.c4a3c131570a77c66bd66fcdf9404e38.jpg

After a long day of parts hunting, its time to make the drive back home. I pulled off what was left of the stack to clear the covered bridges in the area and taped off the manifold so the turbo wouldn't spin without oil supply from the road wind. Was it overkill? What do you guys do?

IMG_20170416_161431020.thumb.jpg.3f86c0ef96ebf2449733400ff137f46c.jpg

Once we arrived back home Easter Sunday 9 AM, I backed MY big tractor in the shed next to Dads big tractor. 

IMG_20170416_161447852_HDR.thumb.jpg.e5ab163c1fce75be621a81f5a757f5e6.jpg

The rear tires on the MX240 make those 18.4-38 on the 12 look puny and the mismatched tires up front drive me nuts!

The goal for this old gal is not to restore it but to resurrect it. Make sure everything works as it should and more importantly as I need it to work. So. Nope. I have no plans for an automotive paint job with 9 coats of clear. Far too many leaks to put any paint on it now. Besides, I like her in her overalls. I don't want to leave the first two turns out in the hay field because I was afraid of a scratch from a tree branch. That being said, I'm leaving the dented up fenders with the 26 holes drilled in and the welded up cracks on there because it's the original set with no grab handle on the right. I've looked VERY close at the hood to see if the Turbo stickers were painted over. Can't tell. Maybe a little rub and shine to see if they are under there but I'm in no hurry to make it pretty.

Thanks for the welcome guys. More later.

Dennis

What is your serial number? I'll look it up and see if I have any past information on it or the next or previous in line, and I can also tell you what month it was built. Awesome save!! 

Well, I've already stated it was my intent to put the 12 to work instead of hauling it to shows, so... When I got it home there were a few things that had t be taken care of before she got used. First on the list was fluids and filters.

KIMG2915.thumb.jpg.99b05117d8165e18edfafab01d550d07.jpg

The air filter was like new and dated December of 1975! That supports the sitting for decades theory.

Fuel tank had a little crud in it so a flush was in order. The fuel filters looked okay but changed em out. 

The engine oil looked fairly clean with no excess soot or grime and more importantly, no water.

I bought a full 55 gal of Hy-Tran so I could over fill and prevent any priming issues before they began. Here's where things went south. After pulling all the plugs including the axle bells, I had 11 gal of oil and 20+ of water! Yikes. Makes me wonder how anything worked and so glad I had only run it up and off the trailer before servicing. While I had the plugs out, I pulled the platform and trans cover to flush out what I could with a weed sprayer filled with clean diesel. Rebuilt, the cover with new parts like shift cam, detent and even bored the cover and turned a bronze bushing to tighten up the shifter slop before reassembly. I also got the parking brake adjusted and working before filling it back up.

Next was the obvious exhaust leak at the turbo. Yep, it's a Solar.

IMG_20170511_051823316.thumb.jpg.1f31c6f4955dc5436dc4f5164c910ea4.jpg

Think I found the issue.😵

I ordered two different turbo sleeves (one from online and one from the stealership) and they both came wrong so I cleaned everything up and turned a new sleeve fit to the Solar and the elbow.

KIMG2917.thumb.jpg.820dd5f88e5c38ad27f7f05e986f28d7.jpg

KIMG2916.thumb.jpg.e56deb6ccd5915823dc2b90862b15a49.jpg

Because none of the parts I was ordering would fit the Solar, I stopped by the local Harley shop and got a used set of piston rings from the shop owners Harley drag bike. I don't know the specifics, but I know they measured close enough to get them to work for sealing up the sleeve.

KIMG2918.thumb.jpg.d3437fa80f3d54d9438adcffab78006a.jpgKIMG2919.thumb.jpg.cba0b4f368c35fb0aecbf499fe7272e7.jpg

All sealed up. The turbo is on my list to pull off and service. Hopefully in winter.

More later...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2